GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Santander Paypal Fraud - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santander Paypal Fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santander Paypal Fraud

Ok, just got off the phone, and cant say I am too happy.

Couple weeks ago, got email off Paypal saying account suspended. Try to log in and cant. Reset password and find someone has addwed an address (in America) and attempted to transfer money from my bank account to paypal - paypal obviously flagged this and held it up.

Contact paypal to confirm account comprimised, transaction wasnt mine etc. Thought that would be end to it, but transaction obviously was in system, and bank bounced it due to insufficient funds.

Have contacted bank, who say they can refund the charge (not applied yet) as "goodwill" but if I ever incur charges again, I wont get a refund. Havent contatced paypal as yet, but I really cant see them refunding the charge, although Santander say it is pretty much their responsibility.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Santander Paypal Fraud

Bleddy hell Oscar, how on earth have they hacked your account? Very worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
      Bleddy hell Oscar, how on earth have they hacked your account? Very worrying.
      No idea. They could well have hacked my email as well as there were two deleted emails - but I ALWAYS download them to Tbird.

Passwords have been changed and all seems ok.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Any suggestions?? Paypal have now come back with this -

Your bank may charge you fees when you make a payment but do not have enough money in your bank account. Because we do not charge you the fees, we cannot reimburse you. However, you can ask your bank to waive the fees.

My response to them has been along the lines of "IT WASNT ME" and "you failed to stop after Ihad confirmed it was fraud"

Can see me getting pissed off pretty quick with paypal.

Comment

Have you contacted your bank Oscar? I know it was Paypal's cock-up but the priority has to be getting those fees back which were imposed by the bank...

You can then go for Paypal's neck afterwards...
          Remember the mantra:
          NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
          Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
          Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

I have - they are willing to refund the fee on a goodwill basis. But if there is any event in the future that involves me incurring a fee (of my own fault) then they will be unable (unwilling?) to refund that fee.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
              I have - they are willing to refund the fee on a goodwill basis. But if there is any event in the future that involves me incurring a fee (of my own fault) then they will be unable (unwilling?) to refund that fee.
              In that case, they don't appear to have addressed the issue then; why fraudulent payments were allowed to leave your Paypal account without being flagged up/stopped.

I would be inclined to raise this as a formal complaint and be specific with the questions you want answered...
              Remember the mantra:

Comment

I WOULD CLOSE MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT AND REOPEN A NEW ONE

Comment

Ooops, caps lock on.......!

Comment

Oscar could do that, yes..... but what if the same thing happens again?!

Personally, I think they should be made to explain themselves.

Worrying though....
                    Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                      why fraudulent payments were allowed to leave your Paypal account without being flagged up/stopped.
                      They were flagged up, they just failed to stop them after alerting me about unusual activity

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                      Personally, I think they should be made to explain themselves.
                      Yep. I dont understand the point in alerting me to fraud, but then allowing the transaction to take place (as such, although the fraudster wouldnt have been able to get hold of the money should the transfer to paypal have been successful)

Comment

Someone fraudulently made a payment from my Paypal account last year, the money was taken direct from my bank debit card, it's quite frustrating, particularly as Paypal hold the money in limbo until they have investigated, that took 4 days, although the fraudster never actually got the money.
                        I complained and complained again about them advertising that Paypal is safe, when clearly it isn't, but got nowhere with them. I changed my password and set up the account for a mobile phone code, my card details are registered each time I make a purchase and removed immediately after, time consuming, but feel safer for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X