GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Defamation Act coming into force!! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defamation Act coming into force!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defamation Act coming into force!!

Just a reminder that the new Defamation Act kicks in at Midnight.......

--> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25551640

New libel laws aimed at giving better protection to people expressing their opinions are to come into force in England and Wales.

Claimants will have to show they have suffered "serious harm" before suing, under the Defamation Act 2013.

The changes - coming in on 1 January - will also address "libel tourism".

The government said the law would reverse the "chilling effect" current libel laws have had on freedom of expression and legitimate debate.

Journalists, scientists and academics have faced unfair legal threats for fairly criticising a company, person or product in the past, the Ministry of Justice said.

Clive Coleman
    Legal correspondent, BBC News

So, will the new Act bring significant change?

In many respects it is an exercise in codifying, simplifying and giving statutory force to existing law. For instance, courts had already started to dismiss "libel tourism" cases and jury trials had all but vanished in defamation cases. The power to achieve these things are now put into the Act.

However, the Act will affect the balance between free speech and the right to protect reputation. For instance, it will be more difficult for companies to sue for libel as they now have to show they have suffered or are likely to suffer serious harm because of a defamatory statement, and they will only be able to do that if they can show they have suffered or are likely to suffer serious financial harm. That makes it tougher for them to go after journalists or scientists who write about their products and services.

There is also more protection from libel for those running websites if they can show they are not the authors of defamatory posts and assist in identifying those who are.

It said the Act, in force from Wednesday, would provide "clearer, better protection for people publicly expressing opinions", while campaigners said it was "good news for free speech" but urged Northern Ireland to follow suit.
    The bold red part above is the most important element - so remember to read AAD's stance on the new Act here --> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...ation-Act-2013
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Re: Defamation Act coming into force!!

Remember the new Acts do not affect Scotland or Ireland - they are relevant to England and Wales only!

Scotland currently adhere to --> http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publicati.../01/11092246/4

Ireland currently adhere to --> http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0031/ or in PDF --> http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2....2009.0031.pdf

NI --> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/apni/1955/11/contents
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

So scots get to do what they want lol

Comment

You wish

* we do anyway! just cos we're ard!!

Comment

so if i drove to scotland and posted that (x DCA)is a piece of shit i can get away with that
          ALWAYS SMILE NO MATTER HOW BROKEN YOU ARE

Comment

Originally posted by carol01 View Post
            so if i drove to scotland and posted that (x DCA)is a piece of shit i can get away with that
            sadly no, it means where you're based so if you're living in London then English law applies to you. If you live in Scotland then Scottish law applies.

Comment

Boom, if anyone wants to slate drop me a pm LOL ill post it! Live from scotland

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
                Boom, if anyone wants to slate drop me a pm LOL ill post it! Live from scotland
                Not here as we are Registered in England & Wales so we could still be served a court order unless you removed it, so to avoid that as stated in post 1 we will remove the material whether you want us to or not because we're not here to fight this battle, we're here to fight creditors for debtors.

Crazy Canadians

Comment

just stick "in my opinion" at the front of everything lol
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Just to clarify, whether you put in my opinion, or whatever - if we feel that what is typed could cause bother then we will edit the post. The point of this new act is that the poster bears full responsibility of what they type. Therefore whether you put in my opinion, or don't, if someone read it and then complained we still have to act by deleting the post or by asking you for your details to respond to the complaint. As stated, we won't let it get that far so would end up deleting it anyway so best advice is only to post factual statements.

As I previously outlined, if you have evidence that a company has acted unlawfully then fine, you've nothing to worry about. But whatever you do, don't go calling companies names unnecessarily.

We've all get better things to do than argue tit for tat with idiotic power happy litigators representing DCA's now, don't we

Comment

Working...
                    X