GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script MoneySavingExpert.com to join the MoneySupermarket.com group - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MoneySavingExpert.com to join the MoneySupermarket.com group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MoneySavingExpert.com to join the MoneySupermarket.com group

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
    Does anyone know of ML's background before MSE? Was he from a tough background? Has he experienced debt? Were his parents well to do? What got him into consumer revenge?

I don't know any of this, but it would influence how I view him now to some extent.
    LINK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_...ial_journalist)

Sounds Lower Middle class to me? Looks like he learned his trade picking the brains of researchers for the BBC and interviewing so called experts.

One brilliant chap I once knew told me if you can interview the top two people in a particular field and get them to tell you what they know, then you will become the top person in that field because you then have the combined knowledge of the two best.

Maybe that's how he did it?

Now on the other hand the real way to become the top in your field is to put in more hours than everyone else, learning and making mistakes then learning from them. You also gather others around you who you might not necessarily agree with but are also experts in their own way, and to motivate them to great deeds.
    And there my friends you have the history of Niddy and AAD

Regards, Handy
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_...al_journalist)
      Last edited by CleverClogs (RIP); 6 June 2012, 23:40.

Comment

Snap
        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Snap
          Indeed and, as one can see, his formative years were partly spent in the grim slums of Didsbury. (link)

Comment

Poor man living in Didsbury...must have been hell on earth.
            After all it's two steps down from Moss Side

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
              Poor man living in Didsbury...must have been hell on earth.
              After all it's two steps down from Moss Side
              Fortunately, his parents moved before he had to choose between the two rival gangs, the Reformies and the Hassids.

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                Does anyone know of ML's background before MSE? Was he from a tough background? Has he experienced debt? Were his parents well to do? What got him into consumer revenge?

I don't know any of this, but it would influence how I view him now to some extent.
                Remember in the article link for the charity his dad is a partner with an accountancy firm or something and he (ML) paid their fees himself which was about £20k or so last year so yea, I'd assume he was middle class.

That said, class doesn't come into it. He's a reporter, plain and simple.
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Lewis attended the £12,000 a year King's School, a top independent school in Chester.
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Nice to see someone doing well from such a deprived background.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      So why not post your SOA here so that we can tell you where to save money as they do at MSE?
                      Well I was going to ask Niddy if I could go buy some decent shampoo as that 68p crap they told me to buy on MSE (so I could cut my toilettries bill down) is playing havoc with my hair

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                        As long as it doesn't cost over £1 per litre you are allowed to change brands. However, if you are in any debt you're not allowed to have Sky.

Martin has very little to do with all that though, the place is in the hands of a few members who feel empowered when they look at SOAs and tell people where to shave off a few pence.

Don't get me wrong those who do comment try and help but they are the ones who were given that kind of advice at the start also, so it's like a merry go round with no-one actually discussing the debts and what to do about them, just how to cut your outgoings. To be fair it is good when you eventually realise you're being ripped off by some companies so you can either get a better deal or move.

Comment

The reason I asked about his background was if he was genuinely a rags to riches story it would, to my mind, be a bit different. Obviously he isn't!

As for the money saving tips, false economies spring to mind!

If he is really genuine, then he will set up some sort of trust, or charity to help people in poverty or debt with some of the money. I can think of a number of things he could do straight away - I might even be prepared to advise him for a small fee!

Comment

changing from Ltd to Personall liability is not rare nor new.

We advise all our clients to be a sole trader rather than a ltd company (depending on turnover) for the simple fact that ALL income is accessable whenever the person needs it.

This takes away the need for dividends, and Employer Ni costs due to being a ltd company.

Yes accounts do not need to be filed with companies house, but Tax Returns would still be required to be filed with HMRC.

The only difference is the accounts would not be in the public domain.

Also bare in mind that some ltd companies with small turnovers would only require abbreviated accounts submitted to companies house which would not show the Profit and Loss of the business anyway.
                            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                              changing from Ltd to Personal liability is not rare nor new.

We advise all our clients to be a sole trader rather than a ltd company (depending on turnover) for the simple fact that ALL income is accessable whenever the person needs it.
                              An odd coincidence - which I am quite sure could not apply to ML - is that such a move might also facilitate money laundering.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                                As long as it doesn't cost over £1 per litre you are allowed to change brands. However, if you are in any debt you're not allowed to have Sky.

Martin has very little to do with all that though, the place is in the hands of a few members who feel empowered when they look at SOAs and tell people where to shave off a few pence.
                                Did I dream it or was one debtor once told to use both sides of every piece of loo paper?

Comment

Working...
                                X