GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Default reporting on very old debt - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default reporting on very old debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default reporting on very old debt

Hello everyone,

Please excuse if this has been covered before but I have had no luck in finding out the answer.

I have an old debt from 2004 with Goldfish and I was paying token amounts until four years ago when I decided to try the CCA route, the company (Goldfish account handled by Wescot) could not produce the paperwork and said that the account would now be closed by them so I stopped paying, since then they have sold the debt on to a couple of other companies who both acknowledge that currently the debt is unenforceable, the latest company to buy the debt is capquest, once more I have forwarded all of the paperwork with a "debt sold in dispute" letter, yesterday I received a reply that they admit that currently the debt is unenforceable but "they will continue to report the default on the account to the credit reference agencies" (where applicable).

My take on this is that the original default was recorded by Goldfish in early 2004 and that after 6 years this no longer shows on my credit file and that a default for the same debt cannot be recorded a second time. Is this correct?

Are capquest able to place a default that would show on file after this amount of time?

I have two years to go before the debt is statute barred.

Thank you, Paul.

Just to add, I have not accessed my credit file for many years as I was told that this also triggers debt collection companies to act somehow, a little confusing I must admit.
    Last edited by PaulJ; 27 June 2016, 15:56.

Re: Default reporting on very old debt

My guess is that if they have added a second default it could be challenged and removed, but I would leave well alone for now and not view the credit report as it could very easily trigger action from creditors. Ten when it (and any others you may have) is safely SB + a few months look at the credit agencies and if there is a default registered challenge it then. For now I would be like you and keeping quiet
    When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Re: Default reporting on very old debt

Hello,

Thank you, I do have a couple more that are very old and they too are unenforceable due to no CCA's being in existence any longer, I have no credit worries and my company also had to do a financial check on me last year which they said did not show any problems.

I will do nothing for now and as advised, just wait and see once it is all Statute Barred.

Thank you

Paul
      Last edited by cymruambyth; 28 June 2016, 13:38. Reason: Removed your surname.

Comment

Working...
      X