GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Another from Lloyds TSB. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another from Lloyds TSB.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another from Lloyds TSB.

Hi,
    This is copied from my post on another site but it can't help to get advice here too. Apologies about the length of it, it goes back a few years and there's an update at the bottom too.

"I recently went through all of my Direct Debits and queried a few with my bank.
    It appears that what I thought was payment protection for a credit card was actually PPI for an agreement I had 8 YEARS ago with Baines and Ernst Ltd.
    The thing is, the PPI is with a company called Marketing and Management Services Ltd, trading as MMS.
    I haven't had any dealings with Baines and Ernst Ltd for at least 7 years so I contacted MMS asking for a full refund of the premiums paid to date, especially as I was unaware that I had even taken out this insurance.
    They have replied to my request basically saying the following:

"We are sorry to hear that you have some concerns regarding the sale of your insurance, however, as you are aware, you obtained the cover through a company called Baines and Ernst LTD.

As we are purely administrators we do not have any involvement with the sale of the cover. We, therefore, cannot comment on any discussions which took place at the time the cover was sold to you.

A copy of your completed questionnaire has been forwarded to Baines and Ernst and we have asked them to contact you regarding this matter"

Has anyone else had this sort of reply?
    I am slightly embarrassed that I have been paying this for 8 years but I had no idea I had been sold this policy in the first place and have never received any information regarding it from wither Baines and Ernst or MMS.

Should I pursue my claim with MMS or Baines and Ernst?"

That was the original post, then I added this;

"The thing is, I was never actually sold this policy. I remember setting up payments to Baines and Ernst when they were "helping" me with my debt, but I didn't keep to the arrangement as they were charging a ridiculous fee each month.
    Shouldn't the people who the money went to be the ones to pay it back?

Looking at the terms and conditions of the PPI, there seem to be a few things I am unsure of:

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, The insured person being in good health on the date of this certificate and the inception of cover....Well, I was being treated for stress, depression and high blood pressure at the time (I was going through a divorce).

TERMINATION, The insurance provided hereunder will automatically terminate in any of the following events;

* The expiry of 6 months following the completion or settlement of the insured person's declared loan arrangement (Unless underwriters confirm in writing that cover may continue)
    * Termination of the Master Facility under which this Certificate is issued.

Surely, health issues aside, the termination of the master Facility (I guess that's the agreement with B&E) means the insurance should have automatically been cancelled? I never actually had a loan with B&E, just a payment agreement so they could administer the debts my lovely ex wife left me

One other thing (sorry to go on but this place is full of people who have the right experience and advice), a friend has suggested that I make an indemnity claim on the Direct Debit Guarantee. I have no idea what that is so if anyone can explain in layman's terms, I would be ever so grateful."

I got some replies (Thanks Di) and it's moved on since then too.

I was contacted by someone from Baines and Ernst who said they would look into my concerns.
    They are doing that and over the last couple of days. emails have been going back and forth between us (I wanted a record of everything).

I got this today;
    Dear XX XXXXXX

Following your emails with my colleague Xxxx, my Customer Service Manager, Xxxxxxx is dealing with this matter.
    We are in the process of searching both our records and those of MMS to understand your concerns.

Xxxx will update you with our progress by lunch time tomorrow.

In the meantime please be reassured that we want to resolve your concerns as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

Xxxxxxxx
    Head of Customer Services & Collections

Then later today, I got this;

Mr Xxxxxxx

I am having difficulty locating your Baines & Ernst file. To help me, please confirm your date of birth.

Thanks

xxxxxx

So, now it appears that they don't have a record of me at B&E. Is that a good thing or bad thing?
    I have posted this here for a couple of reasons, firstly, I am looking for advice on whether I am doing the right thing and secondly to share it just in case someone else is in the same boat.

One final thing for this one, I have received an email from them confirming that they have received my Consumer Questionnaire (that was forwarded to them by MMS) so they have to do something now I guess.

Mick

Re: Another from Lloyds TSB.

Hi Mick

Thanks for posting this up and hope its sorted soon.

Have you requested for a Subject access request (SAR) from either of those companies?

Sorry I cannot remember if I have already asked you, or if you've already done this or not.

Comment

A bit late but here's my result on this one.........

Back in January I received a cheque from MMS for almost £3000!!
      Baines and Ernst admitted that payments to MMS should have stopped automatically after 6 months of me no longer being administered by them for my debts. Since MMS had taken the payments, it was up to them to repay it, which they did with very little fuss.

Happy Days

Comment

Well done Mick!

Comment

Working...
        X