GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Visa Dispute With Halifax Made In Error. Is This Fraud? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visa Dispute With Halifax Made In Error. Is This Fraud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa Dispute With Halifax Made In Error. Is This Fraud?

I noticed payments on my halifax account to who online.

I googled the company and it came back as william hill, I contacted them to find details of my account, they couldn't find anything and told me to contact my bank.

The payments were multiple for dec and jan, I called the fraud department to report them who said they have come from a ip address that I had previously used so it wasn't fraud and they put me through to disputes.

I told them I did not recognise them, the lady before had cancelled my card. They asked if I had used sites like these in the past and i stated I had.

They said they would refund the disputed amounts, send out paperwork and ask me to sign that I am disputing them, and if not they would debit the amounts from my account.

I moved the refunded money into my dads account as they had cancelled all my cards I had no access to money. And I used some of it to pay off some of the mortgage arrears.

Upon logging in online and looking further they have refunded me payments dating back as far as Novemeber, which jolted my memory that I opened an account with someone, couldnt remember who, when I opened my halifax account in novemeber.

Turns out the willaim hill account is closed too.

I've contacted the bank to let them know this, and they've stoped the dispute.

Theyve said they will debit the money from my account within 3 days, there will not be enough in there to cover it, as my dad has alzheimers and getting him to the bank is going to prove difficult.

My question is where do I stand? Am I liable for fraud or something? Will they debit the money from my account and just send me into an an unauthorised overdraft?

My health situation has got gradually worse, in hospital daily now for bp checks and to monitor for pre eclampsia so its added to my forgetfull ness and baby brain. it was a genuine mistake but now I am very worried.

I told them at first oppurtunity I got, have emailed the ceo to let him know too.

Re: Visa Dispute With Halifax Made In Error. Is This Fraud?

I know you from elsewhere. The important thing is to not let this payment prevent you from keeping to your mortgage commitment since you've only just got that ordeal sorted. Is the Halifax still investigating those missing monies you sent to Santander? That may be the excuse you need to sort this.

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
      I know you from elsewhere. The important thing is to not let this payment prevent you from keeping to your mortgage commitment since you've only just got that ordeal sorted. Is the Halifax still investigating those missing monies you sent to Santander? That may be the excuse you need to sort this.
      Thank you for your response.

They are no longer investigating the missing funds as santander found them and reduced the arrears amount accordingly.

This is a completely seperate issue and will not prevent my committment to santander.

Its just that I've made a visa dispute, that I've then realised was genuine.

But then already spent and moved some of the money refunded.

Let the bank know who have said they've stopped the dispute and will debit my account accordingly this week,

Fortunately this is nothing to do with where my mortgage is going out of anymore so thats fine.

I am just wondering what happens if there isn't money in there to cover it, is this seen as theft?

I expect to pay it back in full, however when I called up to ask about the payments made they agreed they could only find ones to nov and dec, yet refunded ones in Novemeber too, so obviously found more, if they had told me this I could have stopped the refund as it would have jogged my memory.

Comment

I'd not worry, and likewise I'd not go hassling them - see what happens. Leave them be now; it can be resolved later as and when.

A dispute wouldn't go down as fraud for such an occurrence and then, it'd be William Hill who would be the one having to take action, and at that point you'd get a transaction log and work out what you did use and then work out what you got refunded and what was repaid - it's nothing to worry about - you're not going to prison, put it that way...

Welcome to AAD - we hope you'll like it here
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          I'd not worry, and likewise I'd not go hassling them - see what happens. Leave them be now; it can be resolved later as and when.

A dispute wouldn't go down as fraud for such an occurrence and then, it'd be William Hill who would be the one having to take action, and at that point you'd get a transaction log and work out what you did use and then work out what you got refunded and what was repaid - it's nothing to worry about - you're not going to prison, put it that way...

Welcome to AAD - we hope you'll like it here

Thank you, I am a worrier by nature unfortunately.

They have already been made aware of my mistake, said the money would leave my account in 2-3 days.

The money has already left my account, the same day I told them.

So I am now overdrawn, I presume its just going to be a case of paying my unauthorised overdraft off.

I will leave it be for now and look at paying it as and when, thank you for your help. Sorry if I am being silly.

Comment

Originally posted by bemusedconfused View Post
            I've contacted the bank to let them know this, and they've stoped the dispute.

My question is where do I stand? Am I liable for fraud or something?

My health situation has got gradually worse, in hospital daily now for bp checks and to monitor for pre eclampsia so its added to my forgetfull ness and baby brain. it was a genuine mistake but now I am very worried.

I told them at first oppurtunity I got, have emailed the ceo to let him know too.
            Please don't worry about this

You contacted the bank to tell them you'd had a blonde moment and had forgotten what those transactions were for. It happens, especially when you are pregnant! Been there done that. Then you told them what really happened to the money once the penny dropped. It's not as if they'd done months and months of investigating and caught you trying to cheat them out of thousands of pounds. You told them you'd been silly and they agreed you'd been silly. End of.

Of course it won't be seen as fraud because they'll put it down to Nappy Brain too especially if the CEO is a woman.

Comment

How much did it make you OD?

do you have a formal OD facility? If so how much is that?

Key question - were you overdrawn at the time they recharged your account?
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X