GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script newbie needs advice about a debt... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newbie needs advice about a debt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie needs advice about a debt...

Hi, JudgeDreddy sent me here for advice about a debt I'm being chased for that I believe I have paid.

The original debt comes from Evans (now CL Finace Ltd (ex GE Capitol) even though i've been put through to santandar!

I was contacted by Moorcroft and was put in contact with a doorstep collector and began paying in 2008, regular payments and just before christmas last year it was completed and paid for. The DSC said "thats it, all paid" and was never heard from since.

Now a company called Aktiv Kaptial are in contact with me and they say they haven't passed the debt onto anyone else and won't accept it unless i get a letter from moorcroft. Moorcoft won't give me a letter because i do not have a reference number as they say as it's been cleared it's been "archived."
    I've been paying aktiv since 2009 and it looks like i've been paying the same debt twice over.

They are constantly on the phone to me demanding money even if i say call back on day X they'll contact me several times before then.

JudgeDreddy has told me to stop paying for starters, also to tell them to put communications in writing and not speak to them over the phone. So i'm here to try and sort this out.

I'm sick of having these idiots badgering me on the phone and if i've been paying twice i want my money back... What to do next?

I have no idea what the ref number and any letter from moorcroft is long gone... so please help...

Oh.. and hello

Re: newbie needs advice about a debt...

Stop paying Aktiv just for starters

Are you sure the one you paid to Moorcroft was yours? Did you get a statement of account? Do you remember the DSC's name and details?

welcome to AAD by the way!!!

Comment

Hi and thanks

I didn't recieve any paperwork at all from Moorcroft after the initial letter than basically said "you have a debt. ring this number"
      It was direct to the DSC and it was sorted out then. I still have the DSC's phone number so would it be worth ringing him to ask for a letter or statement, or even a reference number.

I'm sure it was the right debt as i don't have a lot and apart from the evans store card and an overdraft i didn't really get on the credit bandwagon. The only reason i got the store card was they told me i could have my clothes now and pay for them on the never never.

Comment

If you have the DSC's details I would write to Moorcroft and point out you paid this person and you need confirmation of that in writing. If they can't provide this, it could be the DSC has pocketed your money but not passed it on................unlikely but you don't know that until they confirm otherwise.

Meanwhile stop paying Activ now, I would ask them for evidence of the debt by sending the prove it letter from our templates.

Comment

Hi Pooh_Bear,
          Goodness me they really have done you over.
          Who were Moorcroft acting for when they took payment? (Their client) Archived??? They are talking rubbish. They have by law to retain information for 6 years after your account is closed.
          You'll need to send a Subject Access Request to get to the bottom of this.
          Certainly do not under any circumstances ever discuss this or any other debt on the phone again. Keep everything in writing from now on.
          I agree, stop paying the other sharks too.
          Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 14 February 2012, 18:33.

Comment

Aren't Aktiv Kapital known for picking up 'debts' which are statute barred or settled and trying to collect on them?

They got on to my ex about a debt which had been SB for about 5 years!

Definitely stop paying them until you know for certain that you owe them.
            Last edited by Pixie; 14 February 2012, 18:44.
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
              Aren't Aktiv Kapital known for picking up 'debts' which are statute barred or settled and trying to collect on them?

They got on to my ex about a debt which had been SB for about 5 years!

Definitely stop paying them until you know for certain that you owe them.
              They are writing to me about a debt that was SB about 5 years ago - They have a special offer - 90% off! I think they are chancers.

Comment

Working...
              X