GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Cabot/Marlin re. Black Horse loan debt - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabot/Marlin re. Black Horse loan debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot/Marlin re. Black Horse loan debt

I have been in an agreement to pay McKenzie Hall for a Black Horse personal loan for a approx. 2 years. They contacted me in Feb 2014 to set up a new payment plan as 6 months had passed since I'd agreed my £1 per month arrangement with them. In late November I received a letter from Cabot (who had purchased the debt from McKenzie Hall I presume?) saying that my account was being passed to Marlin as I hadn't made a payment since 1st May 2014. This was the first I'd heard of this? No letters or phone calls had been received to say I'd missed any payments and I hadn't cancelled the payment (bank card payment not direct debit). I explained that firstly I wasn't aware Cabot now owned the debt; also, that I hadn't been notified/wasn't aware of any missed payments; finally at my anger that the debt had been passed to Marlin (who I am dealing with re. a Northern Rock debt). They promised to look into the matter and have written to me to state they cannot uphold my complaint and to contact Marlin within 21 days. Do I need to take this to the Financial Ombudsman Service? Thanks.

Re: Cabot/Marlin re. Black Horse loan debt

Have the payments actually been taken from your account LJ (and not received by Cabot) ie were they still going to MH?
    Did you receive a Notice of Assignment to Cabot? (and if not have you changed address in this period?)

Elsa x

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
      Have the payments actually been taken from your account LJ (and not received by Cabot) ie were they still going to MH?
      Did you receive a Notice of Assignment to Cabot? (and if not have you changed address in this period?)

Elsa x
      Payments stopped after I'd made my monthly payment in May, payment was taken via debit card on 1st May. I have just spoken to McKenzie Hall who told me that the account was closed by Cabot on 7th May. McKenzie Hall were not informed of the reason why?

I did not receive anything from either McKenzie Hall or Cabot; no letters, calls or emails until 6th November when Cabot wrote saying they had "tried to contact on several occasions to discuss my account. As they had not heard from me they were referring my account to Marlin Financial Services "Marlin"". I duly complained and finally received a letter dated 29th December stating they couldn't uphold my claim!? In their letter of explanation of why they couldn't uphold the claim they stated "as not contact was received" from me?!?!?!

Finally, I had received Notice of Assignment to Cabot in July 2013 but they stated in that letter that my relationship with McKenzie Hall would remain in place.

Comment

Just noticed on Cabot's letter from 29th December that they state:

"The last payment received to the account was for £X on 1 March 2014. Due to this the account was returned to Cabot on 16 May 2014"!!!

Comment

Spoke to Cabot on Friday, I pointed out the errors in their investigation and that after closing my account with McKenzie Hall on the 7th May (for no apparent reason!?) they made ZERO contact with me until 6th November; but stated in their letter informing me that they'd passed my account to Marlin, that they'd made NUMEROUS attempts to contact me and that my failing to reply had resulted in my debt being passed to Marlin!!! They have now promised to investigate the matter - again!!!
          Last edited by lloydjones; 1 March 2015, 18:35.

Comment

Letter received from Cabot on Friday. Admitted their error, account recalled from Marlin!

Comment

Working...
            X