GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Can you advise? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you advise?

Hi there,

totally new to this site and a total novice when it comes to anything financial. Hope you can help??

My name's Steve and i've lived and worked Bangkok, Thailand for the last 4 years. I work for a non-profit NGO organising volunteer projects to help the needy across the country.

Due to my previous poor financial management i ran up a credit card debt of around 4,000GBP. My card was stopped and my debt passed to the DCA, Debitas. I originally set up a direct debit with them through my bosses uk account for 140.00GBP each month which was the maximum i could afford at the time. This DD lasted for about 18 months until my boss closed his HSBC account.

My final payment was in October 2011 and now my mother, who sill lives in the UK, has just received a few phone calls from Cougar Financial Services asking to speak to me. She told the caller she would get a message to me.

Now i suppose my question is, does anybody know where i stand with repaying what is left on the debt? I have no intention of returning to the UK. I'm married and have a child here in Thailand. If anybody can let me know i would be extremely grateful. If you require any further details about my situation, please let me know .

Thanks for your time and i look forward to hearing anything that anybody can tell me.

Steve

Re: Can you advise?

Just ignore it. They can't touch you. You're quite safe

As for your mum. Next time they call she needs to say "sorry it's not me; I dunno what you want; go away" kinda thing

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Really? I hoped that was the case. I'm so glad to hear it from somebody who know's the rules on this sort of thing though.

Can i just ask if they can blacklist my parents property or can they do anything that will affect their very good financial status?

Comment

Hi

Nope. Nothing to do with your folks. Debt is personal and also there is no blacklist.

You'll be defaulted here in uk. So what?

They cannot chase you in Thailand for a uk regulated debt. Walk away & forget it. It's history
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

You're a bloody star

Wish i could buy you a beer.

Thanks for your help and i wish you all the very best of luck.

Comment

Virtual beer is good mate

No worries - nice to see someone from afar visit us. I'm kinda chuffed you chose us in the first place

Comment

lol, I'd be tempted to phone them up and laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by asm76 View Post
                lol, I'd be tempted to phone them up and laugh!

Comment

C'mon... you're telling me you wouldn't be a little tempted?

Comment

Originally posted by asm76 View Post
                    C'mon... you're telling me you wouldn't be a little tempted?
                    You know I would do it. It'd be funny to record it too

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                      You know I would do it. It'd be funny to record it too
                      Just make sure that they pick up the tab for the 'phone call though.

Comment

Working...
                      X