GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Famous Bankrupts both past & present... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Famous Bankrupts both past & present...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Bankrupts both past & present...

King Edward II - 14th century English king. His 14th century attempt to conquer France led to the Hundred Years' War, and the cost of this scheme put him £30 (approx. $60) in debt - over $7,000,000 in today's cash.)

Rembrandt 1606-1669 - the famous Dutch painter. He filed for bankruptcy at the age of 50 in 1656. Many of Rembrandt's paintings and his house were sold at an auction. After the bankruptcy, he continued to paint but was not allowed to sell his works directly to customers. He was able to circumvent this law by having his son take over his business and sell his paintings.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, 1756 - 1791, composer. He fell heavily into debt in his early 30s and when he died at age 35, was buried in an unmarked pauper's grave.

Thomas Jefferson - when Thomas Jefferson died in 1826, his large estate and all his possessions, including 130 slaves, were auctioned off to pay his creditors.

Milton Hershey - founder of Hershey’s chocolate, his first four companies failed, his fifth is now one of the worlds largest chocolate manufacturers.

Walt Disney – Disney founded his first company (the Laugh-O-Gram Corp) in 1921 with $15,000 from investors, went bankrupt two years later when his investors pulled out due to distribution problems. His next company did rather better.

L. Frank Baum - he ran a store into bankruptcy in Aberdeen, SD, before he turned to writing. He wrote the “Wizard of Oz”.
    Immanuel Nobel (father of Alfred Nobel, founder of the Peace Prize) - bankrupt twice.
    Henry John Heinz - condiment manufacturer.
    James Abbot McNeil Whistler - Artist
    Abraham Lincoln - American president
    Mark Twain - American author
    Oscar Wilde - poet and author
    Henry Ford – first two automobile companies failed.
    William Fox - co-founder of 20th Century Fox
    Charles Goodyear - inventor and tyre manufacturer
    Mickey Rooney - actor
    Lionel Bart - British composer
    Harry Saltzman - film producer of James Bond
    Isaac Hayes – Songwriter, composer, singer Soul Ltd.
    Larry King - talk-show host
    Tom Petty - rock star
    Cyndi Lauper - rock star
    Meat Loaf - rock star
    Mick Fleetwood - rock star
    Marvin Gaye - singer
    Andy Gibb - rock star
    Jerry Lee Lewis - Rock n’ Roll star
    Tammy Wynette - country music star
    Willie Nelson - rock star
    Kim Basinger - actress
    Gary Coleman - star of "Diff'rent Strokes"
    Burt Reynolds - actor
    Debbie Reynolds - actress
    MC Hammer - musician
    Natalie Cole - singer
    Toni Braxton - rock star
    Chaka Kahn - rock star
    Mike Tyson - boxer
    Chris Eubank - boxer
    Anna-Nicole Smith - Playboy centrefold
    Natalie Cole - singer
    Lynne Spears - mother of Britney
    Don Johnson - actor-producer
    Eddie "The Eagle" - ski jumper
    Heidi Fleiss
    Members of the Jackson family - first Michael's parents with debts of $45m , then some of the children - Tito, Jermaine, Randy and Rebbie. Apparently, Michael and his songbird sisters Janet and LaToya did nothing, saying they had no part of the family firm. La Toya Jackson then went bankrupt herself, & Michael is rumoured to be heading for bankruptcy himself. At one point, he'd managed to reduce his spending to £1m a month.

See, there is life after bankruptcy. It doesn't mark you as a failure for the rest of your life. For many people, the challenge of rising again after it made them that much more determined to succeed in the future. There's no reason why that can't be the case for any of us as well.

Re: Famous Bankrupts both past & present...

http://msn.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 45,00.html

i'm not a footie fan but spotted this, ex man u player Keith Gillespie to add to the list

Comment

Kerry Katona?

Comment

Yep she is still bankrupt 2 years 2 months and counting

Comment

debtinfo - is her discharge suspended?

Comment

yes until she complies with whatever the terms of the order were

Comment

and yep 70%

Comment

Actually Didn't Donald Trump file for bankruptcy as well? like 2-3 times lol.

Comment

I think Peter Jones of Dragons Den fame and also Simon Cowell can be added to the list?

I think Simon Cowell had to live with his parents for a little while. Don't think hes so badly off now!

SnV
                  "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

just goes to show......money simply comes and goes.....I always believed that my bank had one simple approach...to take a hold of pretty much all my earnings.....in return for which, they would convince me I have a good life, with all the pretty little things I'm supposed to want.

I refuse to consider BR...especially my BR, as a 'low point' in life.

I agree, if BR is viewed from a moralistic viewpoint, then for sure, BR really is the pitz of failure.......

But, I believe in the financial world...or 'business' world [and today a family and it's finances can be likened to a 'business?]...BR is simply another tool in the financial toolbox.

Not always used to escape first line debts...but also used to escape future responsibilities...[ask any builder??]

When considering BR as a solution, one should consider the personal after effects...whether they are acceptable?

[the effect on creditors must be ignored.....they will ...or should have, taken steps to offset issue of [ultimately] bad credit...insurers do.......and even if a creditor is a small business, then the issue of credit is part and parcel of the risk a business takes...offset by the need/demand for the [potential] income it generates? In other words, is the financial gain worth the financial risk? A choice needs to be made....should I keep a customer using buy-now-pay-later methods? Or should I risk losing one by demanding payment ..'up front?']

This sort of decision-making process is apparent in all aspects of life.....right to the very heart of Government....for example..when deciding to enter Afghanistan, would the upside be worth the lives of a certain number of military personnel? [At what point does the government consider the losses to become unacceptable?]

BR is simply a process........and should never be considered a 'low point'.

Surely, the moralistic options are the low points? Struggling on, trying to make ends meet in an ever increasingly harsh financial environment?

I see BR more as a high point.

BR is a door, which for many years I refused to open....a door which many will advocate not to open.

But, once that door IS opened, one really steps out into the light.

No, the future is not orange! [How do they get away with that one in Northern Ireland?}
                    Last edited by IF; 31 January 2013, 22:23.

Comment

One or two more:

George Best - Manchester United and Northern Ireland footballer
                      Colin Hendry - ex Blackburn Rovers, Rangers and Scotland footballer.
                      Bill Roache - Actor (Ken Barlow)
                      Jim Davidson - Comedian
                      Christopher Biggins - (I'm a Celebrity winner)
                      Neil Hamilton - ex-MP
                      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

very interesting......I know a relative who has £21 million one year, and at the end of the following went BR for £4 million....he is very blase about it!!! It seems the more you have the less you worry!!

Comment

Famous Bankrupts Old & New

Bankruptcy can be such a range of emotions both during and after discharge....i've started this little list to remind everyone even famous faces can get it wrong so your not alone!!

Please feel free to add/edit this list & see how many suprises you find!

(ok this is an old list but a start!)

Miquita Oliver after a £75,000 tax bill

Kim Basinger

Mike Tyson (boxer) after $38.4 dollars

Kerry Katona after a £417,000 tax bill

Angus Loughran (tv pundit) over £5,500 bill from a bookies firm

Burt Reynolds over $5 million in debt

Clarissa Dickson (tv chef from 2 fat ladies) She declared bankruptcy 3 times

Garry Glitter

MC Hammer (Rapper) Owed $13 million to various debitors

Jonathan Aitken

Michael Barrymore

Chris Eubank

George Best

Donald Trump

Lord Alan Sugar

Henry Ford

Mick Fleetwood

Marvin Gaye

Mark Twain **twice according to records**
                          Last edited by philnicandamy; 9 May 2012, 10:52.

Comment

Re: STICKY: Famous Bankrupts Old & New

** Rangers FC (almost)
                            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Re: Famous Bankrupts Old & New

Tina Malone, Shameless actress and CBB star.

------ > http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...eclared-836480
                              "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X