GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Patch is moving house! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patch is moving house!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch is moving house!

Our Landlords have been crap at paying their mortgage over the 6 years we have lived here. They have also (as I have mentioned on here before) run up debts for other things.

Phonecall a week ago from the Agency saying the landlords want a valuation with view to sell. I doubt very much they will find a buyer who wants sitting tenants and I don't want to sit about waiting for the "move out in x weeks" hammer to fall and I also dont want to host 'viewings' in between dinner and bedtime!
    Plus I know for a fact that their house is worth around 70K more than what they owe on it and they sell like hotcakes here as we are in a fantastic location .. neighbours house sold in a week!

So.... we are moving... I've not rented via an agency before so what leaving letter do I send please?

*flutters eyes at PlanB*

Re: Patch is moving house!

Also.... do I have to let them in to do the valuation? We're moving in 4 weeks... can I just say no wait until then?

Comment

Originally posted by patchouli View Post
      *flutters eyes at PlanB*
      I'm listening

Comment

do I have to let them in to do the valuation? We're moving in 4 weeks... can I just say no wait until then?
        Probably not.

Do you want to send me a copy of your tenancy agreement which will stipulate what the Landlord can do as far as access goes and when/why?

I'm guessing your original AST has expired (five years' ago?) so you're now a "periodic tenant" which means the terms of your original tenancy agreement still stand although the Landlord can now give you 8 weeks/2 months (depending on whether you pay your rent weekly/monthly) Notice to Quit under Section 21 which you can't argue with.

Let me give this situation some thought.

The agent may be not presenting you with the true scenario. Getting a valuation may also be in connection to a remortgage/refinance of the property since property prices are on the up in most areas.

So who says your Landlord is really intending to sell the property?

I have seven properties and I've done valuations on all of them this month to get a feel for the current market. I want all my tenants to stay in situ for ever and a day. So all may not be as it seems.

Plan B x

Comment

... we are moving... I've not rented via an agency before so what leaving letter do I send please?
          If you are a statutory periodic tenant (I believe you are) then you will need to give one month or 4 weeks' notice of leaving which must be served on your Landlord before the next "Rent due" date.

You have to give your notice by letter not email.

This is how to do it and what the letter/notice should say:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...odic_agreement

PlanB x

Comment

*flutters eyes at PlanB*
            When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

ooohhh Plan B thank you!

Sorry the stress of everything has got me a bit down.....

They are selling, they are in debt and divorced so want it all gone.

Found a new house.

Handed in my leaving letter.

The valuation is still taking place and I'm not that bothered any more.. we move end of may.

One thing.. the standard letter telling us what we should do before we leave.. it says professionally clean the carpet. Now the carpet when we moved in was stinking of fags, had ash stains and goodness knows what other stains all over it and burn marks... they know this although the inventory states the carpets as 'good'..

The carpets are only fit to be ripped up... do I have to still pay someone to come and clean an uncleanable carpet?

Comment

Anyone know if after 6 years using already filthy carpets one has to have them professionally cleaned?

I know redecorating comes under this:

Industry guidance indicates landlords should expect to redecorate every five or six years. After such a long time the landlord should realistically have been expecting to redecorate when the tenant moved out.
                The industry guidance would suggest that if a tenant has lived in a property for five or more years (and they are not required by a contract to carry out redecoration themselves) there is little prospect of success in a claim for costs where the tenant hasn't caused the need for redecoration.
                Even though our move out form says we must make the walls 'neutral' again.. which I will do but they should be redecorating anyway!

But what of carpets after 6 years?

Comment

Also... do I have to let the valuation team take photographs of the inside of my home?

I am really really not comfortable with the idea of my belongings being displayed for all to see on Rightmove.

Can I insist they wait until we move May 22nd?

Comment

no one knows, they be here tomorrow...

Comment

the standard letter telling us what we should do before we leave.. it says professionally clean the carpet. Now the carpet when we moved in was stinking of fags, had ash stains and goodness knows what other stains all over it and burn marks... they know this although the inventory states the carpets as 'good'..

The carpets are only fit to be ripped up... do I have to still pay someone to come and clean an uncleanable carpet?
                      The standard letter is irrelevant. What does it say in the tenancy agreement? If the AST says you must professionally clean the carpet then that's what you must do otherwise the Landlord will do it and deduct the cost from your deposit.

Is the deposit insured and who with?

Were there photos taken at the inventory to back up the claim that the carpet was in good condition?

Comment

do I have to let the valuation team take photographs of the inside of my home?

I am really really not comfortable with the idea of my belongings being displayed for all to see on Rightmove.

Can I insist they wait until we move May 22nd?
                        Everything hinges on what it says in the tenancy agreement about access etc. Most ASTs have a clause which says you have to provide access for marketing and/or viewings for prospective buyers in the last eight weeks of the tenancy.

I don't know whether you can insist that photographs can't be taken until after you move out but I agree that you can say that you have "security issues" with them taking pictures of everything belonging to you.

Maybe ask them not to be posted on the internet until after 22nd May when you'll be gone?

Comment

"4.6 End of Tenancy
                          Pay for all washing (including ironing or pressing) of all the linen and the cleaning (including ironing and pressing where appropriate) of all blankets, bedding, carpets and curtains which have been soiled during the tenancy (reasonable use thereof nevertheless expected) or arrange the washing and cleaning themselves all at their own expense. "

Comment

I take it that means we have to?

Comment

OK, think I convinced the lady that the carpets aren't worth my money to clean.. have agreed to clean them myself (which I would do with my carpet VAX anyay) and we will meet here in the last day and see if she is happy.. which she will be.

Thanks everyone for your help ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X