GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How Fast is your Internet? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Fast is your Internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Fast is your Internet?

My results vary as well, as wired will always give better outputs than wireless I was told, dunno - wait for of the experts eh?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

wired networks dont have the security overhead in each packet that the wireless networks have to cater for which makes wired networks slightly quicker.

that is it in its simplest to explain form
      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
        wired networks dont have the security overhead in each packet that the wireless networks have to cater for which makes wired networks slightly quicker.

you lost me after "the security"
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

A wireless adaptor has "software" to read before connecting whereas a direct connection doesn't!!

In layman layman version for the simple
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
            A wireless adaptor has "software" to read before connecting whereas a direct connection doesn't!!

I did sort of know that one was quicker, just not really understanding fully why.

But if you call me "simple" again, I'm gonna have to come up to the moors / hills and kick your arse!!
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
              My BB was down today.

BB working normally now… I wonder whether they will still send a new router…
              I didn't realise there'd been anything wrong with me!

Comment

My BB was down today & I rang BT - after a looong wait the guy took me through a long process of unplugging & rebooting then asked me to hang up to test the line. When he rang back he told me the problem was my hub & I would get a replacement sent to me tomorrow. I then tried to connect using old modem style adaptor I used before the router as didn't want to be offline till Wed.

Rang BT again to see if they could get me my login details. It turns out there was an outage in this area & BB is back now nothing to do with my router but THEIR service yet they were not aware!!! How can they be so useless? Maybe because they are in India as they sounded like 'Mumbai Calling'. BB working normally now… I wonder whether they will still send a new router…
                Hi Flowerpower,

There is a status check number for BT Broadband nationwide. Its a recorded message updated two or three times a day which will tell the STD area codes where they are "experiencing" difficulties with their Broadband service.

The number is:-

0800 169 0199

regards
                Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                  Question.

There are two lines into this house, both with different companies, but obviously to the same exchange.

on the SAME computer - ethernet for one connection, then wireless for the other, I have the following results.

Ethernet (my connection) Ping 26 Dload 7.37 ULoad 0.73
                  Wireless (other connectn)Ping 41 Dload 6.58 Uload 0.38

Quite a difference in values and I cant really work out why!

There was a reason at the time for two phone lines, but suppose not needed now so looking to save a little bit, but want to try and get the second connection (the original phone line) boosted.

Hope all this makes sense.
                  My results vary as well, as wired will always give better outputs than wireless I was told, dunno - wait for of the experts eh?
                  Originally posted by oscar View Post
                  you lost me after "the security"

simplest explanation ...

Think Mobile phones to landlines ..

Hard wired phone will always work
                  Mobile phones frequently (allthetimeinwales) lose reception.
                  As Kilasuit also mentioned its to do with data packets and overheads, but if you have a tidy setup you can squash these

just remember Hard Wired will _ALWAYS_ have preference over Wireless.

Comment

My BB was down today & I rang BT - after a looong wait the guy took me through a long process of unplugging & rebooting then asked me to hang up to test the line. When he rang back he told me the problem was my hub & I would get a replacement sent to me tomorrow. I then tried to connect using old modem style adaptor I used before the router as didn't want to be offline till Wed.

Rang BT again to see if they could get me my login details. It turns out there was an outage in this area & BB is back now nothing to do with my router but THEIR service yet they were not aware!!! How can they be so useless? Maybe because they are in India as they sounded like 'Mumbai Calling'. BB working normally now… I wonder whether they will still send a new router…
                    BT customer services will _ALWAYS_ blame the router. I have actually located their fault, and notified them over 8 hours before they acknowledged it themselves.
                    If you know someone competent enough with ping, and traceroute then you can pretty much pinpoint the point of fault.

When you ring BT customer services they do a 'line test' which effectively sends a ping from the exchange to your BT Master Socket they will then diagnose a problem from there.
                    Their line of thinking is IF they can ping the socket the problem is internal, IE router/wiring they aren't "allowed/programmed/instructed" to think outside of that line, its only when a number of people in an area complain they look further afield.

I can give you hundreds of examples of BT incompetence where an unqualified gobby londoner runs rings round not only BT openreach customer services, but BT wholesale (who are actually in charge of the whole BT structure) aswell.

Comment

• Re: How Fast is your Internet?

or new year if BT and Royal Mail have anything to do with it
                      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Well, BT are having all sorts of trouble here (Wales guys). Despite everything being claimed to be working correctly, even by the 1.5 hours sessions with Indian callcentre support, since the last opening of the Green Cupboard over the road, if we are operating BB, and the normal landline rings the BB light on the hub will turn orange, BB grinds to a walking pace and on the odd occasion cuts out altogether. Put landline down (i.e. end call) BB returns to is normal ( sort of) state. All outlets duly filtered as required on hard wired set up.

regards
                        Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                          Well, BT are having all sorts of trouble here (Wales guys). Despite everything being claimed to be working correctly, even by the 1.5 hours sessions with Indian callcentre support, since the last opening of the Green Cupboard over the road, if we are operating BB, and the normal landline rings the BB light on the hub will turn orange, BB grinds to a walking pace and on the odd occasion cuts out altogether. Put landline down (i.e. end call) BB returns to is normal ( sort of) state. All outlets duly filtered as required on hard wired set up.

regards
                          Garlok
                          Sounds like they have crossed wires somewhere .. or a short.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieb View Post
                            Sounds like they have crossed wires somewhere .. or a short.
                            Yea, in their brains mate

Comment

Thanks guys, my thoughts really but they say all the time -- no problem etc. I had some new spare filters, so have changed those and will see how it goes. If the problems persist I will get a call in for a full check of our connections.

regards
                              Garlok

Comment

Has the forum ground to a walking pace or is it us?

I have just run "Speedtest" finally it let me do it and i canot upload the image but the results are as follows:-

Ping:- 39ms
                                Download Speed: 2.76mbps
                                Upload Speed 0.59mbps

Best server Manchester.

regards
                                Garlok

Comment

Working...
                                X