GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How Fast is your Internet? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Fast is your Internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NEW - Moderator Chat Thread

Just checking that now. Sky Website (the actual sign up page) states between 5 and 11.4 .... BT of course when we called for MAC code (which doesnt have to be used) stated Sky wouldnt be able to get any faster than them.

First site comfirms BT - about 6meg

Second is the one above where I got 11.4 (or up to)
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
      Just checking that now. Sky Website (the actual sign up page) states between 5 and 11.4 .... BT of course when we called for MAC code (which doesnt have to be used) stated Sky wouldnt be able to get any faster than them.

First site comfirms BT - about 6meg

Second is the one above where I got 11.4 (or up to)
      You do need a MAC - once you sign up and log-in to "my sky" you'll see a section saying "please add your MAC here" - I was told it wasn't needed but it actually is. Maybe adding it speeds things up cos I had no issues and literally swapped over in less than 5 days.

Also, when it's live ring Sky and tell them to adjust your IP Profile to 18800 which is the max. They'll say they can't and to let the callobration kick in, say no - do it now or cancel my order and they'll then up the speed to the maximum - over the next month you'll see it vary (using speedtest) but it'll stabalise. Mine is sitting at around 17Mbps right now which is awesome....
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Mine is sitting at around 17Mbps right now which is awesome....
        Blimey no wonder mine is only 6Mbps !!!!

Think ill have to give them a call, btw when I moved from BT to Sky I never gave any Mac address.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
          Blimey no wonder mine is only 6Mbps !!!!

Think ill have to give them a call, btw when I moved from BT to Sky I never gave any Mac address.
          Well it could be that 6Mbps is the maximum for your exchange etc - as we live 100 meters from the exchange, we should get full speed and our exchange states a full speed is currently upto 24Mbps..

Its on the thread I posted earlier, with Steve telling us what to look for - have a read.

The mac is irrelevant now ya plank, that's needed at transfer of provider only!
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

• Re: How Fast is your Internet?

I have moved these posts from chat into here - sorry, but needs to stay in same place

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Well it could be that 6Mbps is the maximum for your exchange etc - as we live 100 meters from the exchange, we should get full speed and our exchange states a full speed is currently upto 24Mbps..

Its on the thread I posted earlier, with Steve telling us what to look for - have a read.
              That thread sails over my head like a 747. ATCF, I live 3/4mile from the exchange. I know we must be able to get more than 6 cos on this second line (which is being cancelled full stop) I get close to 7
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                That thread sails over my head like a 747. ATCF, I live 3/4mile from the exchange. I know we must be able to get more than 6 cos on this second line (which is being cancelled full stop) I get close to 7
                PM me your bloody landline and postcode and let me take a mooch matey.....

Mine did say 24Mbps was the maximum but like anything, they say you'll get anything upto that. I was on 1-2 Mbps so to jump to 16-17Mbps is awesome for me.

Comment

Right mate

It seems you're not best with Sky as it is rather slow to be frank.... maybe they've not added the latest hardware or whatever - I dunno but it's right, although using the BBgenie it does suggest Sky/TalkTalk will offer you UPTO 24Mbps - Sky themselves can only get you to between 2-5 Mbps Access Speed which is slow.

Note though, they also say this:
                  "The speed that you experience when using your broadband connection, your Throughput Speed, will be lower than your Access Line Speed as it can be affected by your home setup."

I would possibly hold fire as most exchanges get updated annually, or look at another provider.... Why not move to sky and if it's not as good as BT go back to BT within 14 days, if however it's slightly faster then it's worth it - in time it will grow and it is actually cheaper than BT (by a lot).

For the record, you also get the sky anytime+ which is pretty good (loads of stuff on there lol)

Comment

Cheers mate.

From looking at the sky site - I think I may have checked by address the first time - which gives the result 5.0 - 11.4.

Still dont understand it all though .... to me it shouldnt make a difference

Comment

you also get the sky anytime+
                      Yup I got a Sky Plus Anytime box in October.

Nids can you check mine please m8

Comment

Nids can you check mine please m8
                        Not if you're already with them matey - what does speedtest show for your results? have you considered ringing and arguing IP Profile...?

Comment

Check on the links above PF - I did it right second time. First time I checked address which gave the erroneous 11Meg reading

Comment

Comment

Like how mine used to be...... you might be better trying to argue for faster speed, get them to try callobrating their internal speed test thing again - that generally settles your speed to a happy medium but if you do what Steve and I did then it kinda caps it at the maximum with little fluctuation.

Wait while steve is better again and he will clarify what to say to Sky and how to get the speed to the maximum, he texted me and I don't have the text anymore so can't remember.....

Comment

I used to be hitting nearer or just over 5Mb/s but of late it has slowed down somewhat mind you we had a power cut this morning so maybe it is stabilizing again

Comment

Working...
                                X