GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How Fast is your Internet? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Fast is your Internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How Fast is your Internet?

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
    i cant see rebooting mucking up your speed, if anything it can help to fix it.

I know in the past with virgin ive had very slow speeds, only to reboot my modem and its cleared and fast again.

ADSL connections tend to get restricted during peak times due to usage, always a bummer.

Best bet is to speed test late at night and see what the details are.
    Whatever the article was, I think it was more about re-booting a lot buggered up the synch speeds or something
    Will try the speed test when I'm up later at the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by fedupwiththeworry View Post
      Mine:

From router:

Connection = down 3019 kbps, up 774 kbps
      Line Attenuation = down 58db, up 18.5db
      Noise margin = down 7db, up 8db

Speedtest.net

DL = 2.63 mbps
      Up = 0.64 mbps
      Ping 57ms
      The attenuation figures are what you would expect on a normal ADSL line, even the noise figure is okay. You would hope for about 6db but that's splitting hairs.

Is the speed consistent at this level or does it vary wildly. If it's the latter then perhaps there is an issue with the external drop wire. I had a similar issue on an old BT ADSL connection.

I'm very luck with the speed on my connection

Last edited by mauijim; 14 September 2012, 13:37.
      Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mauijim View Post
        The attenuation figures are what you would expect on a normal ADSL line, even the noise figure is okay. You would hope for about 6db but that's splitting hairs.

Is the speed consistent at this level or does it vary wildly. If it's the latter then perhaps there is an issue with the external drop wire. I had a similar issue on an old BT ADSL connection.

I'm very luck with the speed on my connection

Hi,

Speed (as per the router stats) seem to stay the same unless I have to re-boot the router for whatever reason.
        Was watching the noise last night when it was playing up badly and it was at 9db, then occasionally would drop to 6db before going back to 9db again ?

Seems better today so maybe there was a problem at the exchange.

Noise is today 7db up and 8db down, everything else the same as after the re-boot last night i.e.

speed 2985/710
        atten 56/18.5

Comment

Hi,

Speed (as per the router stats) seem to stay the same unless I have to re-boot the router for whatever reason.
          Was watching the noise last night when it was playing up badly and it was at 9db, then occasionally would drop to 6db before going back to 9db again ?

Seems better today so maybe there was a problem at the exchange.

Noise is today 7db up and 8db down, everything else the same as after the re-boot last night i.e.

speed 2985/710
          atten 56/18.5
          I am not sure if this has been asked, so I apologise if it has. What router/modem are you using? Have you asked for a recalibration of the line?

Also what exchange are you on? If you visit Sam Knows and enter your details it will let you what is available in your area and what approximate speeds you should be getting.
          Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Router is a netgear dg834 (wired version), have checked samknows and the speed seems about right for the distance we are from the exchange. Can live with that if I have to, it was the slowness a couple of nights back as we rely on the net for work.

Haven't asked for recalibration, what would that do ?

Comment

Haven't asked for recalibration, what would that do ?
              I am not sure it is going to help you having read what you've said about the results on Sam Knows. Usually it will help to sync the line and ensure reliable speeds are achieved. It seems you are pretty close to the best speeds.

sigpic

Comment

Checked Sam Knows, and it tells me that my top ADSL speed in this area is 2.2mbs

Which is shocking, really is. Why do i pay for up to 20megs when all i can get is 2.2 max.

Ive been thinking of switching my provider to virgin who have rolled out fibre optic broadband in this area, and its only adding weight to my decision!

That and the fact sky have increased their monthly charge!
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Talk Talk essential package, had it for about 8 years. Sometimes it fluctuates, I've really had no issues that haven't been easily fixed. Can watch videos on Wifi with little or no buffering while playing Xbox at same time.

Comment

Originally posted by gregco View Post
                    Talk Talk essential package, had it for about 8 years. Sometimes it fluctuates, I've really had no issues that haven't been easily fixed. Can watch videos on Wifi with little or no buffering while playing Xbox at same time.
                    Mine has jumped a lot of late, upload has slowed a lot as has ping!

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Mines still

2181 d/l
                      443 u/l

Not gonna change for a while.

Annoying thing is half mile down road can get Bt infinity 80Mb dl

That in itself is a pisstake.
                      Last edited by kilasuit; 15 October 2012, 21:00.
                      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Read an article at the weekend a Kiwi music site caught NZ security services spying on them when their ping times went from 32ms to 87ms.

At the moment mine goes from 45 to 127. So I hope those who are watching me are having a thoroughly boring time.

If I had anything I wanted to keep quiet I certainly wouldn't use email

Just kidding but its a thought?

Regards all, Handy
                        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

I think my ISP has blocked talktalk, as their web page wont load on my pc.
                          If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                            Mines still

2181 d/l
                            443 u/l

Not gonna change for a while.

Annoying thing is half mile down road can get Bt infinity 80Mb dl

That in itself is a pisstake.

Now i have a real Internet Connection
                            I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Just seen that on your FB mate. Is that super fast bb?

Who with and how much a month if you don't mind my asking
                              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

If the speedtest has got the ISP correct as Plusnet, then I presume it is this? Our super fast fibre optic Broadband package guide | Plusnet
                                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                                X