GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How Fast is your Internet? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Fast is your Internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Fast is your Internet?

yes thick walls do affect the signal ....

but my house has 3ft thick walls (old miners place built 130 years ago) and I only lose about 25% of my wireless signal.

My router is downstairs @ the front of the house, My main machines are upstairs at the back of the house.

If you are running "old" sky kit, it will be something like the netgear834g/t router .. which has the omnidirectional aerial that you can re-point. it also only runs 'b/g' wireless signal ..
    UPGRADE

if you are running the new sky / bt routers then it will be pushing b/g/n wireless signals. those three little letters make a vast difference for the speed that it works at, which in turns gives it greater distance through walls etc.
    obviously if your router is pushing out "n" signal then your wireless cards - dongles also need to be able to receive "n" signals. this _should_ increase the speed over double through walls etc.

also other obvious things, if your machine is in a 'cupboard' and the wireless card/dongle is hanging out the back ... then that will affect speeds etc.

You can get USB extension leads, but anything over a couple of metre's will need to be boosted, which you can pick up for around a fiver.

failing that run cat 5/6 cabling

Comment

Router is one of those new sky sagam ones with no antenna visible it does not support wireless N at the moment mainly due to sky's slow roll out of wireless N technology.

There is much talk about Wireless N on skys help forum many unhappy customers

It will support Wireless N however sky would have to do a firmware update.

I think cabling is the best way to go as I can run them all via loft upstairs.
      Last edited by pompeyfaith; 4 November 2011, 11:11.

Comment

This I have not the best I am hearing too

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
          Router is one of those new sky sagam ones with no antenna visible it does not support wireless mainly due to sky's slow roll out of wireless n technology.

It will support Wireless N however sky would have to do a firmware update.

I think cabling is the best way to go as I can run them all via loft upstairs.
          the new sagem does support wireless N !

that is what I am using right now
          do your dongles support wireless N ?

Pompey log into your router, go to maintenance -> router status.
          scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on show statistics.

off of that page what are the figures for the following items.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
          Connection Speed 19996 kbps 1153 kbps
          Line Attenuation 14.0 dB 8.8 dB
          Noise Margin 8.5 dB 9.3 dB

as an example those are from my router as it stands at the moment

Comment

here you go
            Attached Files

Comment

here you go
              again high attenuation, suggests about 3km from the exchange, or an extremely bad line.

check on their website to what that say's you _should_ be getting.
              My guess is below going on the factors I know about.

Sky should be pushing about 8mb constant to yourself, they have set the IP profile/sync speed to just over 6mb, ring them ask their tech dept to up the IP profile/sync speed to 8640kbps
              that will increase your speed to between 7.5mb to 8.2mb and should hold consistent.

Comment

This I have not the best I am hearing too
                It needs to be plugged in to work lol

Comment

Not my photo but one I nicked off the internet lol.

Thanks for you help and advice stevie much appreciated

Comment

Mine:

Download - 1.36 Mbps

Upload - 0.37

Ping - 55ms

Comment

Niddy's done a Steve and moved from BT to Sky - lets hope I don't get cut off for two weeks eh!
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Niddy,

Sky is about the only one with no download limits they all preach unlimited but most are limited except as I say Sky.

Comment

How fast is your internet? Well I would think ours is about to grind to a halt again. On return from St Aspah very close to home we found a gaggle of BT OPEN REACH vans parked together, nay huddled together for warmth and protection. The occupants were spread along a straight stretch of road about 500 yards long. Each one booted and spurred with high viz and hard hats. Each one looking down a manhole with cover off and believe it or believe it not but they were signalling each other with hand signals, yes hand semaphore.

That does not bode well for broadband in this area over the coming days does it??

regards
                          Garlok
                          Last edited by garlok; 8 November 2011, 15:10.

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                            How fast is your internet? Well I would think ours is about to grind to a halt again. On return from St Aspah very close to home we found a gaggle of BT OPEN REACH vans parked together, nay huddled together for warmth and protection. The occupants were spread along a straight stretch of road about 500 yards long. Each one booted and spurred with high viz and hard hats. Each one looking down a manhole with cover off and believe it or believe it not but they were signalling each other with hand signals, yes hand semaphore.

That does not bode well for broadband in this area over the coming days does it??
                            It does.

It means they have finally accepted the superiority of optical communications over the more traditional use of two cocoa tins and a soggy length of string.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieb View Post
                              so after a complete fucking nightmare with a "simple" sky installation I ended up talking to their technical department and after explaining to them _how_ ADSL works including line noise, line length and attenuation they finally put my sync speed at something sensible ... So it will fluctuate over the next few days .. but ....

lets hope it sits tidy now on that, and I will be a happy bunny.
                              Well I decided that after you posted this (and our 6hr chat) that I'd join Sky...

Started on Wednesday - not bad I must say, however their DLM (dynamic line magagement) was stable at 4mbps - sod that. I rung and argued with them to increase my IP to 19996 and she told me no.

I argued and threatened to cancel, within the cooling off period and demanded her manager, he then put it up to the maximum that my line can handle which is 25Mbps (I live like 200 meters from Xchange) - now look at my results!

Awesome

Old results here

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

getting faster (blame DLM)!

Comment

Working...
                                X