GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How Fast is your Internet? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Fast is your Internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Fast is your Internet?

Excellent.

Must have a moan to sky about mine sometime then.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Wish mine would get faster

Comment

You are in Wales Di, and it seems to be a nightmare at times. I believe BT have over sold the capacity to a number of so called "wholesalers" and we do not have the benefit of cable etc to relieve any of that load.

Denied flatly of coursed by BT.

Ho--Hum

regards
        Garlok

Comment

Talk talk always put their own equipment in the rented BT Exhange, Sky either rent BT's or put in their own and the others (ie O2 etc) always rent. So technically it's not BT - it's these wholesalers that need to invest.

It'll get better, there's a government issue regards BB speed and fast Internet etc so it'll be sorted in time (hopefully)!
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I sort of agree mate however what is certain in our neck of the woods, is that anytime BT OPENREACH open the green cupboard directly over the road from us or there is any BT activity in the area between us and the exhange (about a 1.5 mile radius), our service deteriorates and it takes a complaint via technical support to get us back up to some level of service. Sometimes we are reduced to a service worse than old dial up.

Just in our 40 bungalow estate, all lines in and out go via said green box and most have BT landlines whilst others have broadband with other suppliers. Said green box also serves the "Piggery" over the road which is social housing being PC about it and before anyone gets upset, it WAS the piggery before said dwellings were built. Not a lot changes in this world. Ho Hum

regards
            Garlok
            Last edited by garlok; 19 November 2011, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
              You are in Wales Di, and it seems to be a nightmare at times. I believe BT have over sold the capacity to a number of so called "wholesalers" and we do not have the benefit of cable etc to relieve any of that load.

Denied flatly of coursed by BT.

Ho--Hum

regards
              Garlok
              _ALL_ ISP's over sell the service in _ALL_ areas, this is how they make their money.
              Things to consider with ADSL.
              Length and Type of line from house -> exchange IE aluminium lines will seriously hinder your adsl speed.
              If your local exchange has not been unbundled it's all BT kit anyway, regardless of _WHAT_ ISP you go with.
              Check on Linky
              This site will tell you _what_ OPERATORS run out of your local exchange and what is available.

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Talk talk always put their own equipment in the rented BT Exhange, Sky either rent BT's or put in their own and the others (ie O2 etc) always rent. So technically it's not BT - it's these wholesalers that need to invest.

It'll get better, there's a government issue regards BB speed and fast Internet etc so it'll be sorted in time (hopefully)!
              Talk Talk do not _ALWAYS_ put their equipment in the exchange.!!
              It all comes down to LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) if the exchange is unbundled then its the OPERATORS equipment in the exchange.
              I looked into unbundling the local exchange up north years ago, it worked out something like 50p a line, but you had to buy 500 lines at a time. But the cost of putting your own equipment into the exchange _or_ putting a 'box' local to the exchange and hardwiring across was too much, then add on the fact it was, at the time, £65 an hour + VAT for the BT engineer to visit to let you in if anything went wrong ... made it unviable for the small business.

Originally posted by di30 View Post
              Wish mine would get faster
              Di get the 'stats' off of your router, we should* be able to diagnose/point you in the correct direction.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieb View Post
                Talk Talk do not _ALWAYS_ put their equipment in the exchange.!!
                They do now matey - things change with time

I'll try and find the same press release that I read which confirmed they would never again rent from BT - they have a manufacturing deal with the makers of the equipment I do believe....

Anyway, it doesn't matter - point is, they as a company are still shyte
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

They do now matey - things change with time

I'll try and find the same press release that I read which confirmed they would never rent from BT - they have a manufacturing deal with the makers of the equipment I do believe....
                  They don't unless they are unbundling the exchange. Simples.

Talk Talk purchased the AOL UK setup and Tiscali setup, who in turn purchased a huge number of small ISP's.

Talk Talk's original setup was geared in London where exchange unbundling was common place.

When they purchased the other ISP's who were using both BT Wholesales ADSL products IPstream and Datastream, and rebranded them to TALK TALK.

It's all about market saturation. There are vast costs in unbundling an exchange, and it is not viable in all situations so they just rent the relevant 'line' from BT but use their own RAS servers so that the end customer does not know the difference.

For example I can get ANY ISP over in West Wales even though the exchange itself has not been unbundled, I have worked with people that have, Talk Talk, BT, AOL, Easynet, Sky, PlusNet amongst others, as ISP's .. point and fact the exchange _ONLY_ has BT equipment in it. (It's a glorified garden shed that only serves a small number of premises)

If I had more time I would explain the difference of IPstream and Datastream products to you, and the whole process of ADSL from line, through DSLAM, RAS and ATM.

but I have to go see a surgeon ...

Comment

Hey guys we are actually with BT anyway and in North Wales you don't anything out of the Stone Age has been replaced anything more modern ------ do you?

Our exchange still goes click-click-click when you go past it and there was a major incident recently when they ran out of dolls eyes! l l

regards
                    Garlok

Comment

Thanks Stevie.

Stats, I take it this is this here?

NETGEAR
                      54 Mbps Wireless
                      ADSL MODEM Router DG834G v3

Is that correct?
                      Lol sorry I've not a clue with these techie stuff lol.

AOL broadband
                      BT line.
                      Last edited by di30; 23 November 2011, 10:04.

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                        Hey guys we are actually with BT anyway and in North Wales you don't anything out of the Stone Age has been replaced anything more modern ------ do you?

Our exchange still goes click-click-click when you go past it and there was a major incident recently when they ran out of dolls eyes! l l

regards
                        Garlok
                        Check this: ---> SamKnows - Broadband Availability Checker

Comment

Di

Try this ---> allaboutFORUMS - View Single Post - How Fast is your Internet?

Not sure he wants your actual router name, more the data from the stats section - maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                            Thanks Stevie.

Stats, I take it this is this here?

NETGEAR
                            54 Mbps Wireless
                            ADSL MODEM Router DG834G v3

Is that correct?
                            Lol sorry I've not a clue with these techie stuff lol.

AOL broadband
                            BT line.
                            Di

Try this ---> allaboutFORUMS - View Single Post - How Fast is your Internet?

Not sure he wants your actual router name, more the data from the stats section - maybe?
                            As hisnids said!

That is a very good router, it runs 802.11 b/g. I prefer netgear over all other routers.

But yes basically what is needed is the line attenuation, noise levels(SNR) etc which you will find once you have logged into the router software itself.

Comment

Question.

There are two lines into this house, both with different companies, but obviously to the same exchange.

on the SAME computer - ethernet for one connection, then wireless for the other, I have the following results.

Ethernet (my connection) Ping 26 Dload 7.37 ULoad 0.73
                              Wireless (other connectn)Ping 41 Dload 6.58 Uload 0.38

Quite a difference in values and I cant really work out why!

There was a reason at the time for two phone lines, but suppose not needed now so looking to save a little bit, but want to try and get the second connection (the original phone line) boosted.

Hope all this makes sense.
                              Last edited by oscar; 3 December 2011, 12:03.
                              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

ok,dont know if this makes a difference, but just went to compare the results.

on the Fixed line, the server is in Manchester, but the server for the wireless one is in Skipton!!

if its of any use the companies (in order of server above) are TalkTalk and BT

Comment

Working...
                                X