GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How Fast is your Internet? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Fast is your Internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How Fast is your Internet?

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
    unlimited internet (Yes its unlimited usage - subject to traffic watch)
    Gotta be careful of the traffic watch, I got a letter warning me about my bandwidth usage, apparently I was in the top 0.05% of private users

I spoke to a guy in their call centre and he told me it wasn't monitored between 9pm and 9am, so if you anticipate downloading large files then those are the times to do it.

Since amending my usage times I haven't heard a peep from them.
    Last edited by Bricktop; 18 June 2012, 18:06.

Comment

well at my work, we have 20meg broadband by virgin, infact i just sent off for a new superhub modem, which means by next week ill be getting 60mbs i cant wait.

At home, im with sky, unlimited up to 20meg, i say id get around 10 usually.

Takes the P but you get what you pay for, which virgin, as its fibre optic, you are usually gonna get top speed all the time.

I know BT do infinity, but id prob pick virgin over any of them as ive dealt with them for years and had no issues.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

having probs with mine, its dropped down to 10MB, problem with line (OLD), need to buy a corded phone, so they can test it rather than cordless (don't want a Bill to tell me its my phone lol).........

keep on sending me text and e-mail to say that they are working on my line... lol

Don't do downloads brick - but thanks though (know of the traffic)

at present we getting power surges, hopes that they not trying to connect my phone line to the power grid
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

• Re: Mod Chat Part 9!

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
          I keep wondering whether to have a moan about mine.

It did used to be about 16Mb when first set up, but the speed and sync speed seemed to have gradually dropped over time.
          Well, I seemed to have gained a couple of Mb/s of sync and downstream speed since yesterday....

Not complaining though.

Comment

sheesh.....2yrs thankfully now we were the last area to be virgin upgraded to digital....before that we had an old cranky tv box and a 56k modem!!!!!!

10mb now and soooooo thankful for it

Comment

At my mothers, ive got virgin 60meg fibre optic, although there so called superhub keeps restarting in wireless router mode, so i have had to switch it to modem mode and connect it to my old wireless N router lol.

But at my home, i have sky up to 20meg, but i never get more than 4.5

Originally posted by stevieb View Post
              so after a complete fucking nightmare with a "simple" sky installation I ended up talking to their technical department and after explaining to them _how_ ADSL works including line noise, line length and attenuation they finally put my sync speed at something sensible ... So it will fluctuate over the next few days .. but ....

lets hope it sits tidy now on that, and I will be a happy bunny.
              You seem to know your stuff and your getting good speeds with sky, so wondered if you might throw me a little advice.

Recently updated my primary telephone socket to the latest BT (Think its called NET5?) with a built in bell wire filter. Thats got my telephone plugged straight in to it, and ive got an extension connected that runs through to my livingroom, where i have a filter connected and my sky router and digi box is attached to that.

Do you think there is anything else i could do to increase my speed? i thought about connecting an i-Plate to the primary box, but after reading some reviews, people think its not worth it since its filtered already, whats your take on it?

Comment

Mine:

From router:

Connection = down 3019 kbps, up 774 kbps
                Line Attenuation = down 58db, up 18.5db
                Noise margin = down 7db, up 8db

Speedtest.net

DL = 2.63 mbps
                Up = 0.64 mbps
                Ping 57ms

Comment

Originally posted by fedupwiththeworry View Post
                  Mine:

From router:

Connection = down 3019 kbps, up 774 kbps
                  Line Attenuation = down 58db, up 18.5db
                  Noise margin = down 7db, up 8db

Speedtest.net

DL = 2.63 mbps
                  Up = 0.64 mbps
                  Ping 57ms
                  Nothing I can do to speed this up is there ?
                  It's been playing up something chronic this afternoon, taking an age to load pages, then seemingly back to normal before slowing down again.
                  Router shows no problems (in as much as I understand what it's telling me), no collisions, same speed as reported above etc

Comment

tried unplugging the ADSL Filter and plugging an analogue phone in test socket (what is the dial tone sound like?)

need to work backwards

Comment

Will give that a go (need to borrow an anologue phone off my Mum).

Thx

Comment

if there is crackle down the line, then it may be the Line faulty and should be replaced by your line provider

Comment

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
                          tried unplugging the ADSL Filter and plugging an analogue phone in test socket (what is the dial tone sound like?)

need to work backwards
                          Dont forget, if the phone socket is quite new it would have a filter in built, or better yet, the bell wire will be detached so may not need a filter, infact im wondering if a filter could slow the data speed if its not needed?

Comment

we had this problem with Plusnet, sloooooowwww, they maintained it wasn't their fault, we changed provider to Sky and low and behold, no slow downs, decent speeds all round, makes you wonder??????????

Comment

Thanks everyone, it's not a new socket, it has the front that you have to unscrew to get to the test socket.

Some history in case it's relevent.

The socket was up until recently in a back room of the house and the cabling ran under the carpet alongside the carper grabbers. Earlier in the year the internet was disconnecting all the time, with crackle on the phone line and when I checked the line, the cable had moved over time and in some places was punctured by the spkes of the grabbers.

Didn't need the socket in the back room anymore so cut the cable to where it hadn't been damaged and re-wired back into the socket which is now near front door.

That was about 6 weeks ago and it's been running fine up until the last couple of days when it's been slow. I've just re-booted the router and it seems better now, albeit showing the following

up 2985 kbps
                              down 710 kbps
                              Line attenuation 56 down 18.5 up
                              noise 9db down 8db up

So a bit slower than the other day in theory.

We are a fair distance from the exchange so won't get the fantastic speeds some of you are posting. Hopefully the re-boot has done the trick, I read somewhere that you shouldn't re-boot a lot becasue it mucks up your speed.
                              Last edited by lookingforward; 13 September 2012, 20:32.

Comment

i cant see rebooting mucking up your speed, if anything it can help to fix it.

I know in the past with virgin ive had very slow speeds, only to reboot my modem and its cleared and fast again.

ADSL connections tend to get restricted during peak times due to usage, always a bummer.

Best bet is to speed test late at night and see what the details are.

Comment

Working...
                                X