GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How Fast is your Internet? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Fast is your Internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Fast is your Internet?

Seems crap to me! Don't cost me nowt though, so shouldn't grumble
    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Done thanks all

Comment

Even easier, buy HideMyAss and you can change your IP address to anywhere in the world at a click of a button. Fools the IP checkers online, but not sure it really changes the IP address.

Comment

depends which site I use as well. I also get:

Download 6.071, upload 0.418 and ping 76
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
            Even easier, buy HideMyAss and you can change your IP address to anywhere in the world at a click of a button. Fools the IP checkers online, but not sure it really changes the IP address.
            Ermm no mate I don't think it's "that" good
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Ermm no mate I don't think it's "that" good
              Gets round most "issues" though! Not many sites are like this one!

Comment

jeez ..

basics .. when your pc 'grabs' an IP address from the router it has a "lease" time on it ... if you have had a machine on for _less_ than the "lease" time then it doesn't bother renewing the IP address.
                if another machine has been on for _longer_ than the "lease" time then it will grab a new address .. then its all down to the time it takes to link to the router .

Personally I use 'fixed' IP addresses for all the internal machines, with access control lists, and the usual wep* keys etc.

That way you know _exactly_ what machines will have what IP address, and no danger of anyone else "hopping" onto your connection.

With regards to speed on the connection.

Factors.
                *line distance* ... from exchange to Master socket in the house. This is the largest factor.
                *line quality* ... how many 'joints', how many 'connections', how much twisting, how much degradation etc etc.
                fixed rate, adaptive rate, cable etc etc .. nothing you can do about these, but they are the _first_ thing that defines your speed.

These are factors beyond your control, if these are _bad_ you will have crap speeds.

Factors you can control.
                Run your router/modem straight into the master socket _avoid_ extensions where possible.
                have _all_ sockets, extension run through ADSL filters. you would be surprised at how many people _don't_ do this.
                If you have extension sockets, COPPER wires are the best.
                I have known phones to knock down speeds on ADSL, even completely knocking the lines out.

also as a side note running things wirelessly will affect your speedtest results! ..

Comment

Stevieb,

Thanks for the excellent tips, now I must admit my sky router is in my bedroom I put it there due to the fact all the computers are upstairs bar one, this is run of an extension from the main BT socket in frontroom.

Due to our ex council house having solid walls having the router downstairs would give even worse connection. I did try it but it was crap.

Is there anyway I could put the router downstairs and use something to boost the signal in the bedrooms?

Regards

Comment

Is the "exchange" the big box that the engineers work on? If so I am about 30 yards away from it! However, I think most of the cabling in my area was laid down before women had the right to vote, so I feel lucky to have broadband at all!

I do have an ADSL filter and I am plugged directly into the main socket, however, I also have a voip phone on the line (work phone) so I know this will be slowing me down, especially when on a call ...... I'm gonna disconnect it now and retry

Update: marginally better with no voip phone:

I wish my connection was better though, as I have lost voip calls before (due to the line dropping?)
                    Last edited by diddlydee; 4 November 2011, 06:40.
                    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stevieb View Post
                      Factors you can control.
                      Run your router/modem straight into the master socket _avoid_ extensions where possible.
                      have _all_ sockets, extension run through ADSL filters. you would be surprised at how many people _don't_ do this.
                      If you have extension sockets, COPPER wires are the best.
                      I have known phones to knock down speeds on ADSL, even completely knocking the lines out.

also as a side note running things wirelessly will affect your speedtest results! ..
                      lol. Been there, done that, eliminated those factors, and tested several times.

Recently and years ago.

No significant or measurable difference.

I'm not that unhappy with my speed. Just a bit naffed off that it's gradually dropped a couple of MB over the last 4/5 years.
                      Last edited by Riz; 4 November 2011, 07:17.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
                        I'm not that unhappy with my speed. Just a bit naffed off that it's gradually dropped a couple of MB over the last 4/5 years.
                        Want me to remind you how slow mine is again....?

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Want me to remind you how slow mine is again....?

That is dreadful if you are as close to the exchange as you say. Or is that a BT box rather than the exchange?

Anyways, I remember ages ago having NTL bring out a 1-1.5 Mb service that I was chuffed with at the time, so I suppose all things are relative?

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
                            That is dreadful if you are as close to the exchange as you say. Or is that a BT box rather than the exchange?

Anyways, I remember ages ago having NTL bring out a 1-1.5 Mb service that I was chuffed with at the time, so I suppose all things are relative?
                            I'm in a wee village and at the top of my street is the main BT Hub (sub-station) for the surrounding villages so I am closer than most - however spoke to steve last night and he thinks it could be when the housebuilder went thru the cables and rewired it (ie incorrectly) so will test a direct plug into the main socket this weekend and post back with *hopefully* revised figures

* yea I remember when NTL brought out cable, yonks ago - I loved it - now i'd never go near it!

Comment

so will test a direct plug into the main socket this weekend and post back with *hopefully* revised figures
                              Yep. That's the only real way to see if the prob is your side.

I wouldn't touch NTL (now Virgin) now either. Shitebag of a company.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                                Due to our ex council house having solid walls having the router downstairs would give even worse connection. I did try it but it was crap.

Is there anyway I could put the router downstairs and use something to boost the signal in the bedrooms?

Regards
                                wireless extender? although if the walls are thick may make a slight differece

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...CategoryID=259

otherwise I use homeplugs in the bedroom (we're in a bungalow bedroom at the far rear wifi signal terrible connected a couple of homeplugs & fine now

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/faqs.html

Comment

Working...
                                X