GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Keeping logged in....or not! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping logged in....or not!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping logged in....or not!

Hi, this is only a little problem, but it's getting on my nerves.

I reset my password.....and ever since when I follow links from email notifications I have to log on, even though I have ticked the keep me logged on box.
    This may be a security thing, but I used to be able to automatically go on. Plus, my details are stored, because once I click on'user' they automatically come up.
    Thank you
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Keeping logged in....or not!

Thats a Niddy question, cymru. He'll be along shortly I would have thought.

regards
    Garlok

Comment

Have you tried clearing your cookies, Cymruambyth?

Comment

I don't follow.... The keep me logged in only works whilst a browser is active (ie open) so if you say have Firefox open on the forum and then open emails to see a thread update alert, so long as its not a thread that needs log-in then it'll open fine.

If however you close the browser session then you'll need to login each time.

I'm slightly confused, as things working as they should as far as I know....?
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          I don't follow.... The keep me logged in only works whilst a browser is active (ie open) so if you say have Firefox open on the forum and then open emails to see a thread update alert, so long as its not a thread that needs log-in then it'll open fine.

If however you close the browser session then you'll need to login each time.
          Sorry Nids. Not true I'm afraid.

The "remember me" option uses a cookie that, if your browser permits, will persist between browser sessions. Even if you close the browser.

It doesn't "keep you" logged in precisely, but the cookie means that you will be re logged in automatically when you next visit the forum if your session has expired in the meantime.

What can happen is that your browser or security settings remove the cookie. Which then means that you have to physically log back when you next visit.

So...

(1) The suggestion about clearing site cookies was a good one. Especially as the password has been changed. You want to make sure that any old password/session tokens in the cookies are removed.

(2) Check your browser cookie settings to see what the cookie retention policy is. For example Firefox can be set to automatically clear cookies when a browser session is closed. Something like that may need to be turned off, or an exception added.

(3) Check the setting of any internet security/privacy/cleanup software, as that may be autoremoving the needed cookies.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
            Sorry Nids. Not true I'm afraid.

The "remember me" option uses a cookie that, if your browser permits, will persist between browser sessions. Even if you close the browser.
            Ahh that'll be because I have firefox have all cookies deleted when I close browsers..... I just presume everyone does that (good housekeeping)!

Cheers for clarifying
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

(2) Check your browser cookie settings to see what the cookie retention policy is. For example Firefox can be set to automatically clear cookies when a browser session is closed. Something like that may need to be turned off, or an exception added.
              Like mine

Comment

Site cookies used when the "Remember Me" option is not selected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cookies_015.png
Views:	1
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1384752

Site cookies used when the "Remember Me" option is selected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cookies_014.png
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1384754

Comment

Site cookies used when the "Remember Me" option is not selected.

[ATTACH]2700[/ATTACH]

Site cookies used when the "Remember Me" option is selected.

[ATTACH]2701[/ATTACH]

Comment

Like mine
                    Like mine for most sites.

For this site I have an exception added.

Comment

Like mine for most sites.

For this site I have an exception added.
                      You know we changed servers through the night? We do a lot of upgrades and tweaks, through the night - with forums it is best to always clear cookies after each session to avoid the problem we had when we switched from PHPBB to vBulletin, ie a lot of users that stored cookies were seeing the old forums and not the new ones.

Just an example why I feel cookies should always be cleared

Comment

You know we changed servers through the night? We do a lot of upgrades and tweaks, through the night - with forums it is best to always clear cookies after each session to avoid the problem we had when we switched from PHPBB to vBulletin, ie a lot of users that stored cookies were seeing the old forums and not the new ones.

Just an example why I feel cookies should always be cleared
                        I don't completely agree with that.

Maybe for infrequent users, or people who don't know what they are doing?

However, if something is a bit "screwy", virtually the first thing I will do is clear cookies to see if that rectifies things.

I also do periodically clear cookies as a precaution, even for sites where I have an exception.

Comment

I don't completely agree with that.

Maybe for infrequent users, or people who don't know what they are doing?
                          Ermmm, ask steve mate! he was the one that spent over 2 weeks sorting peoples systems so they could see the new forums. Most users here are infrequent users, ie they may use a PC but are by no way clued up like you/steve etc etc

Stop arguing , good housekeeping is to clear cookies upon exit of a site - for a number of reasons! I can easily show you raw data of errors for AAD and you'll see how "clued up" a lot of our users are....

Comment

p.s anyone notice we're now blue and not orange?

darn, you really ought to delete those bloody biscuits guys

Comment

I think a more important issue is security.

A persistent login on a shared computer is a security risk and should be avoided.

On my computers I am the only one who uses the login accounts I post on forums from, so that is not an issue.

Also I have it ingrained in to me from MoD ITSO tellings off to always lock my computer when I leave it. Annoying, but it's become habit.
                              Last edited by Riz; 30 November 2011, 12:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X