GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Potential scam email? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential scam email?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential scam email?

I was wondering whether anyone else has received an email, purporting to come from DHL Global. The text of this states
    "Dear customer

The parcel was sent your home adress
    And it will arrive within 10 business days

More information and the tracking number
    are attached in document below."

The attachment is a zip file. I have Googled this and it appears that if I am daft enough to open the attachment it will corrupt my computer. I have received about 4 of these yesterday and another 6 today. I use the AVG virus checker and it has not picked it up.

I am sure this is a scam, so might be as well to be aware of it - not that I would think anyone would open the attachment.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Potential scam email?

I've pm u about this. You've been spammed. Go change password and/or create a new email account. It's only affecting your name @ hotmail account.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

You clicked the zip = you got conned. NEVER click such attachments Phoenix!
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

its a self executing file within the zip file. most virus scanners don't pick it up till its opened and pretty much rampant on the machine.

same thing has been sent from DHL, UPS, Revenue, American tax ppl etc etc.

Main thing to remember is don't open ANY attachment unless either a) you were expecting one to be sent from B) a known contact.

Comment

yup and look at the from address, or if you hit reply look where the reply is going to!

PLUS none of these companies will send in a zip

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, folks

I deleted them immediately - and did not reply!

Now I will stop blaming my free anti-virus checker for not picking it up!
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hiya

Yes I have received several of them, but delete them and will not open them.

Comment

I get loads of them

if they were all my parcells , I'd have to move to a warehouse

A bit of an after the horse has bolted, but
                Malwarebytes seems to pick up and clear alot of the crap that the "attachments" leave behind
                click the download free version
                It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

Comment

Its ok, I just won the lottery and i will share it with all of you since there is a guy that has died in nigeria and he has chosen me to accept his funds. He was like my brother from another mother twice removed.

Comment

Will give that malware a try, Numpty - thanks very much.

And I don't seem to be getting the Nigeria ones any more (hope I haven't tempted fate by writing that!) And when I first read your post, Jen, I thought you had really won the lottery!!! Still a bit gullible, I guess? (Me, I mean!)

Comment

Hello Dear,
                      DHL Express Tracking Notification: Wed, 31 Jan 2012 21:25:10 -0800
                      Custom Reference: 85384-OJK2787VZHMR
                      Tracking Number: OUE-90918980350
                      Pickup Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2012 21:25:10 -0800
                      Service: AIR/GROUND
                      Pieces: 1

Wed, 31 Jan 2012 21:25:10 -0800 - Processing complete successfully
                      PLEASE REFER TO ATTACHED FILE FOR DETAILED INFORMATION.

just got this we,ve not ordered anything.....

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                        DON'T OPEN THE ATTACHMENTS!!!

Also don't click only any links that may be there!

I have received dozens of them purporting to be from various delivery companies. They all have zip attachments that should never ever be opened. Legit parcel companies (or most other companies that trade online) never send zip files! They are malware!
                        Thank you....thought as much

Comment

"Hello Dear"

Hello Dear,
                          DHL Express Tracking Notification: Wed, 31 Jan 2012 21:25:10 -0800

Custom Reference: 85384-OJK2787VZHMR
                          Tracking Number: OUE-90918980350
                          Pickup Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2012 21:25:10 -0800
                          Service: AIR/GROUND
                          Pieces: 1
                          Last edited by philnicandamy; 2 February 2012, 09:18.

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
                            "Hello Dear"
                            Hello phil.....

Comment

Just save the zip without opening it and send it to your choice of DCA with a note saying...

"I am happy to pay this in full. Please see the enclosed file for my bank details"

Comment

Working...
                              X