GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Windows 10 upgrade to be "free" for users of Windows 7, 8 or Phone - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 upgrade to be "free" for users of Windows 7, 8 or Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 upgrade to be "free" for users of Windows 7, 8 or Phone

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30924022

Microsoft has announced that its next operating system will be offered as a free upgrade to owners of devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone.

The announcement marks a change in strategy to its previous policy of charging for major updates.

The offer, which is limited to the OS's first year of release, may aid its adoption.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Windows 10 upgrade to be "free" for users of Windows 7, 8 or Phone

About time and no doubt because Android and iOS are free and according to PC Advisor OEM versions will not be so manufacturers will still add that cost to product.

Comment

Depends if its any better than the last two ..... both had/have their issues
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
        Depends if its any better than the last two ..... both had/have their issues
        two?

Win7 is the best ever OS that they've created (even better than the decade long XP).......

I will keep win7 - it's utterly stable and keeps my laptop primed - love it
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Apparently from what I have read win 10 knocks spots off win 7, personally though I don't get all the complaints about win 8/8.1 as I got used to it in like a couple of hours maybe many do not like change win 8.1 boot up is rapid too

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
            two?

Win7 is the best ever OS that they've created (even better than the decade long XP).......

I will keep win7 - it's utterly stable and keeps my laptop primed - love it
            Win 7 is utter shite. It might be stable, but the lay out and menus etc are a complete pain in the arse.

If Win 7 was SOOOOOO good, thy wouldn't have released Win 8 so quickly afterwards.

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
            Apparently from what I have read win 10 knocks spots off win 7, personally though I don't get all the complaints about win 8/8.1 as I got used to it in like a couple of hours maybe many do not like change win 8.1 boot up is rapid too
            I don't like Win 8/8.1 (slightly better) - just personal preference.... I have probably got used to it, but still don't like it. Agreed that it is much faster.

Comment

Windows vista, now that was utter shite lol Xbox is getting win 10 also

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                Haha - win8 is incompatible with their own browser - you seen the shit it caused when you done updates (as did planB) - yet how many people moan at win7?
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                  Windows vista, now that was utter shite lol Xbox is getting win 10 also
                  Yep it will work across all platforms

Comment

Win 7 is utter shite.
                    Says Mr IT himself!! Seriously, based on what - there is no evidence to suggest this mate, it's recognised as the best ever - even overtaking XP as I have said..... research these things and you'll see

It might be stable, but the lay out and menus etc are a complete pain in the arse.
                    ??? - you can change the layout. It's great!

If Win 7 was SOOOOOO good, thy wouldn't have released Win 8 so quickly afterwards.
                    haha - that says it all. It's because win8 is tiled and that was introduced for their mobile devices and they thought (incorrectly) it'd work well on a pc - ermmmm, they got a shock!

I don't like Win 8/8.1 (slightly better) - just personal preference.... I have probably got used to it, but still don't like it. Agreed that it is much faster.
                    It's nothing to do with the OS - it's your computer. Mine is probably faster than most others and uses SSD etc and lots of RAM - the OS uses 0.003% CPU at any one time.

I can't understand people who bring opinions into arguments. Your opinion is fine, but it's not factual mate - it's only your opinion, which is fine.

Comment

I have used 7 ..... I didn't like it and didn't think much of it. It is rated as one of the best (or the best depending on your opinion) because of its stability.

I couldn't change the layout (System Admin) maybe that was the issue.

Win 8 may be tiled, but still think its better (based on my usage)

What you say on the computer is correct, but Win 8 is a faster operating system anyway - FACT.

However, at least this thread has done one thing - told me why IE keeps crashing.

Comment

However, at least this thread has done one thing - told me why IE keeps crashing.
                        No, it crashes cos it's shyte - you're best with Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari in fact you're better turning your pc off if all you have is IE

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          No, it crashes cos it's shyte - you're best with Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari in fact you're better turning your pc off if all you have is IE
                          Says the man who uses MSE for his AV because its best to use the company that know their own OS etc??

I use Chrome for an alternative facebook profile (and that's all). Don't like Firefox ...... don't think I have used the others

Comment

Says the man who uses MSE for his AV because its best to use the company that know their own OS etc??
                            say what? I don't go anywhere near MSE mate

** MS Essentials was actually the best - again, read reviews -
                            Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 21 January 2015, 19:47. Reason: edited from is to was!

Comment

i found Vista better than Win8 - i don't like them Apps tiles on the system...........i only use to connect to Net and use Word/Excel/Coral and Adobe Photoshop - everything else is pointless like 'Siri on Apple and Win' pointless gimmicks!

Comment

Working...
                              X