GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Windows 10 upgrade to be "free" for users of Windows 7, 8 or Phone - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 upgrade to be "free" for users of Windows 7, 8 or Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10 upgrade to be "free" for users of Windows 7, 8 or Phone

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
    Omg vista was a pile of shit. Crashed at every possible chance. Problems with installations. You don't need the tile. Interface with win 8.just install a little program that replaces the start button and viola you are back to win 7 desktop version. Can still switch to tiles if you prefer.
    never had a prob with Vista (vista premium), apart from i stuck the Dyson on the laptop keyboard and it sucked off half the keys and ruined the pad! lol (now used as a back up system and for other such things with wireless keyboard)
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
      i stuck the Dyson on the laptop keyboard and it sucked off half the keys
      I know I shouldn't laugh....

LOL
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Just proves that Vista sucks!

Comment

Ah, reading this thread brings back a few memories.

ScabHunter, not only will Windows 10 be free but it will by default auto-detect whether you are using a touchscreen or desktop/laptop and keyboard/mouse and serve you either the touchscreen or good old Windows 7 desktop. And that's the proper desktop, without any annoying menus on the side coming up when you stray near the corners. So it may be worth a try for you in future.

Niddy and a couple of others, it does surprise me a little bit that some people insist that W7 outperforms W8. I can understand the grumbles about the interface from some people, although I found it was fine after getting over the learning curve, but performance-wise I find W8 beats W7 hands down on the same hardware. And that's more than just 'opinion;, objective tests bear this out, for example http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-softw...s-best-for-you and http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/window...iew-32553.html Those tests were conducted before newer W8 graphic drivers were available too, so the differences should be more sharply in W8's favour by now. The biggest improvement "under the bonnet" was the memory management, which finally nailed the "memory leak" issues which had dogged Windows from the earliest days. I find the memory management is now on a par with Linux's.

I'm planning on getting this wee beastie of a laptop shortly. It's a touchscreen with 8.1, with a 256GB SSD, Core i7 CPU and 16 GB of RAM. It should fly. http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-envy-15-...ilver/p1839279

I also recently bought a new graphics card for my desktop, a Geforce 750 Ti, because people who read the computer forum might recall that my previous card, a Radeon HD 6670 just did not get on with Linux at all and I wanted to make this machine dual boot with Windows. This new card does boot Linux without the horrible problems I was having with the last card, although I have only tried it from the Live DVD so far and not yet done a full installation. I'm being cautious here, as GRUB only works with BIOS by default and my W8 installation uses UEFI. There is a known workaround with this, but I'm going to read those guides very carefully first as it's very easy to screw up badly with UEFI installations. This is probably why ScabHunter had so much grief trying to get rid of W8 from his laptop and was probably also why I had trouble getting this box to boot up Mac OSX (despite working just fine in Virtual Box).

I'm also very impressed with the spec for the new Raspberry Pi 2, which will supposedly have a free version of Windows 10 to run on it later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by evilcartman View Post
            I also recently bought a new graphics card for my desktop, a Geforce 750 Ti, because people who read the computer forum might recall that my previous card, a Radeon HD 6670 just did not get on with Linux at all and I wanted to make this machine dual boot with Windows. This new card does boot Linux without the horrible problems I was having with the last card, although I have only tried it from the Live DVD so far and not yet done a full installation. I'm being cautious here, as GRUB only works with BIOS by default and my W8 installation uses UEFI. There is a known workaround with this, but I'm going to read those guides very carefully first as it's very easy to screw up badly with UEFI installations. This is probably why ScabHunter had so much grief trying to get rid of W8 from his laptop and was probably also why I had trouble getting this box to boot up Mac OSX (despite working just fine in Virtual Box).
            If you are running off a live DVD then it's probably using the OS nouveau drivers for the Nvidia card rather than proprietary ones that at present perform much much better.

While installing Linux in tandem with Windows in UEFI mode is a lot easier than it used to be with signed bootloaders, must admit that in the end I just sidestepped the whole issue by putting in a nice new 1TB 2nd hard drive in and installing Linux on that in BIOS mode. Meant I can choose to boot either Linux in legacy bios mode off one disk, or windows in UEFI off the other. Something that is relatively easy with the UEFI boot menus on this PC, but I know that is not always the case. Overkill maybe, but at least it was guaranteed to work with no risk to the win8 install.

Comment

I was actually thinking of doing that to make things easier. As it happens, I have a completely blank 500GB drive that I could use for that purpose. That was in NTFS format but I have erased it completely, so Linux should be able to just format the whole thing.

Comment

Yes. Means I can upgrade Windows at some point without interfering with the Linux disk.

Also means I can do as I have at the moment, which is have the Windows disk completely disconnected, since in the very rare occasion I may want to use something widows either running in a virtual machine or under Wine will usually do.

Comment

I've only got one thing to say on the matter:

Click image for larger version

Name:	microsoft-windows-xp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1407102
                  When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
                    Wine will usually do.

Yep ............

Comment

Close.

https://www.winehq.org/

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                        I've only got one thing to say on the matter:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16516[/ATTACH]
                        I must admit that seeing a Windows XP boot screen on a device is like bumping into a dear old friend that you haven't seen for a few years.

Comment

bring it back

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                            bring it back
                            After working in a company that still had a few Win 95 boxes and hundreds of Server 2000 boxes in Production systems I'm all for XP dying its death.

Win 10 will make a great day to day base system especially in IT with full HyperV natively including Linux SecureBoot once its been released

Though I'm far too adjusted now to running Server 2008R2 as my main day to day system. Soon be upgrading that to Server 2012 though

And soon to be purchasing a beast of a VM system though nothing like the £140K system I have had to recently look at speccing up
                            I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                              bring it back
                              NO let dead dogs lie

Comment

May as well go back to these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3_cards.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1407106

Comment

Working...
                                X