GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script New Computer - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer

Looking at getting a new computer.

Was thiking of Laptop, but there are some good desktops about as well at the moment.

Wasnt looking at spending too much - maybe up to £400 or so - and can keep the monitor I have now.

I know PC world have got some fairly ok ones (and are only retailer around for miles), but am now lost over AMD and Intel as havent bothered keeping up.

Graphics not all that important as I dont play games - just gen surfing, email, here and office / word processing excel etc.

This one I have now is a few years old and getting on a bit - and starting to show with errors popping up.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: New Computer

Intel i5 is all you really need for what you want mate. I think pc world mainly deal with intel, so dont worry to much about AMD, there is little difference in comparison for what you require.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
      Intel i5 is all you really need for what you want mate. I think pc world mainly deal with intel, so dont worry to much about AMD, there is little difference in comparison for what you require.
      Always preferred AMD previously as thought better processor at time. What I do is not really intensive, but obviously more resorces (Memory etc) means less strain.

Just EVERYTHING comes with 8.1 nopw which I hate with a passion!!

Comment

Yep i know! luckly for me, i upgraded my work PC just before the win 8 launch, so kept win 7 and had a massive discount for clearance reasons.

I have a close school friend who is selling an intel i7 dell laptop for £425 if you wish me to pass you her contact details. It is built for high end gaming/music producing, but is quite cheap for the spec.

Comment

Build one!
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Could be fun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	1399000

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Build one!
              Dont have the level of knowledge.

Comment

My Xmas project was to build a new homeserver. Used sons old acer aspire 8 years old, software from amazon £40.13 added old memory from scrapyard, New 1 terabyte drive £59.00 used 2 oldish 2008 300 gig drives. Added Lights out software 15 euro. Everything working fine. My old server was a second hand Compaq Presario circa 2001 1 gig ram (max it would take) based on server 2003. Worked fine until just taken it out of service. Running windows 8.1 on 3 computers the newest one is 5 1/2 years old. Why do folk get rid of perfectly good hardware?
                I agree with Niddy, build one, on the cheap!

Comment

because microsoft, like to memory hog the shit out of obsolete PC's which is why people are forced to upgrade, with linux, this doesnt happen. which is why you will see people runining ubutnu on amstrad 8086's lol

Comment

If you buy online from somewhere like Novatech you can "build it" online from a barebones unit, or buy one ready made to various specs without any op system or bloatware. Then at checkout you can choose which operating system you want as an extra, including Windows 7.
                    Eg: http://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/n...lifenti40.html Add Win 7 to that it's £339.99 and with Win 7 plus 2013 Office Home/Student it's £429.98
                    Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 29 December 2013, 08:19.

Comment

Novatech are very good and you don't pay over the top for brand name.

Comment

ccl online (leeds) they've built a few systems in the past for me..I get most of my other bits and bobs from them no hassles either

or give me a budget and needs and i'll build it!
                        Last edited by philnicandamy; 31 December 2013, 18:04.

Comment

yep my brother always goes on about how good ccl are.

Comment

General stuff really - browsing, office kind of stuff emails ........ dont really use one for gaming - but do stream stuff now and again. Been told to go for min i5, but I do like AMD processors and 6/8 RAM.

Comment

Quoted by notebookreview.com

Re: Intel i5 vs AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor
                              Well, let's look at benchmarks. While it's nonspecific, the Passmark CPU list is good to get an overall picture of performance. I'm not sure which i5 you're looking at, so I've chosen the fastest one, the 3360m.

i5 3360m: 4527 points
                              A10 4600m: 5129 points

The AMD is slightly faster, moreso if you're talking about a lower-spec i5.

And for the GPU, I'll be using NotebookCheck's 3dmark11 benchmarks, again to measure overall performance.

Intel HD4000: Avg 638.9, max 802.
                              AMD7660G: Avg 1142.5, max 1150.

The A10 wins by a little in terms of CPU speed, and a more significant margin in terms of GPU speed. Also, if you're going to be doing anything that uses OpenCL, I'm pretty sure the AMD will have better drivers as well. It should be able to pull off gaming at 720p on lower settings as well.

If any of your software will be using CUDA, you might want to consider at least a low-end dedicated nVidia GPU.

Comment

Working...
                              X