GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Can u help us to speed up ? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can u help us to speed up ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can u help us to speed up ?

Any advise welcome we have windows IE XP it is sooooo slow , we have scanned and no virus result.
    We are to say he least total PC dummies , so if anyone could give us a clue as to how to speed up it would need to be in primary school speak.Many many thanks .xxxxxx
    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Can u help us to speed up ?

Which is slow? XP itself? or the internet?

if its XP could be a number of things, disk space, windows uses virtual memory, if theres not a lot of disk space, theres not a lot of vitual memory.

Temp files. Do you shut the pc down correctly? or do you just turn it off? just turning it off causes temp files to be stored all over the HHD which will slow it down.

Do you ever run defrag? when you constantly install/de install programs, files get written all over the PC, it takes windows longer to find these files if they are not together, so defrag should be ran every few months to move files so they are accessed quicker.

How much RAM does your PC have? small amount of RAM will make windows run slower.

First thing id do, is run disk cleanup, you will find it under system/maintinance (if i remmeber rightly, switched to win 7 a while ago) once thats done, run Defrag which should be in the same location.

You can find tutorials online how to use defrag, it can take several hours, so do it when you have some spare time.

If they dont speed things up, check the amount of RAM you have and post back here, let me know.

If its just IE that runs slow, thats a whole other issue.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you SXG OH has run defrag but is going to again he also has done clean up but will do so again. He says all of the above has been done,De frag reads .. free space 54% 20.49gb...capacity 37.24gb.When we have finished on pc we close off page we were on then bring up the left hand side menu the click Turn off computer. We are leaving defrag on will check back later again thanks for the help .

Comment

On your desktop, right click on the "My computer" icon, then go to "properties" and click that. It will show the size of your RAM at the bottom.

What does this say? 512MB / 1.00GB / 2.00GB?
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Could also have a lot of start up programs running when you first turn PC on, but i guess that prob wouldnt cause it to run slow all the time, just initially.

The trouble is, as XP is so old, there is likely to be thousands of system update files, not much you can do about these but they do tend to slow XP down something chronic.

When my old work pc was shut off from the net, i didnt bother with updates and it ran as fast as it ever did from new. But the moment i had no choice but to get it connected, and started running updates, thats when it started to slow down

Cant be helped, as you need those important updates, its just a common issue with windows.

Like niddy said though, RAM may help, may be to little, might need a boost.

Comment

Sorry been off for a couple of days due to Hubby trying to repair Pc. Its been cleaned inside and out checked for viruses and taken on board allthe info given for which we are gratfull, as it is a dinasaur we are going to get another,have looked at refurbs on Elfex , ever heard of them ? they have 3month gtee but on saying that we would not be on as much as if it were for office use so it may last a while longer,i use it for survays and on here thats about it really.xxxx

Comment

Hi Nanna,
              Glad to see you back online. Not heard of Elfex... just looking at their site for you now. Is it a desk or laptop you are looking for?

Edit: Post up the link here if you want someone to give you a second opinion - wouldn't want you to buy a new looking old machine
              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Thanx Missy link is www.eflexcomputers.com sorry i spelt it wrong before.Its a PC we are looking for. Niddy OH thinks the RAM is 2.56.Also i am showing as no online and my thanks to Missy is not showing xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Oh iam on line now

Comment

In all honesty, if you're looking at refurbs i'm guessing you don't really have cash to spare, the best bet is to save/back up what you need todisk/cloud/usb drive and reinstall from scratch using the disks supplied with your computer.

If it's still slow then try your hand with Linux Mint (an operating system which is pretty easy for windows users). If you can't use it or struggle with it you can then get a new/refurb pc having lost nothing but having had the potential to cure the problem for time but no cost.

IMHO.

M1

Comment

thanx Mystery thats good to know about Linux xxx

Comment

hi nanna,
                        Got the link - cheers.
                        Mystery1 makes a good suggestion. If you can pop the specification of your current PC up we can take a look and see if its worth you looking at another PC or attempting to re-install your current OS or indeed use a Linux based distro which won't cost a penny!
                        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

I agree, let us know what spec the pc is.

Comment

hopefully this is the info you need i got it from properties on my computer... windows xp Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 200GHz 256Mb RAM. cheers x

Comment

RAM is very low, thats the first thing. Pentium 4 isnt too bad really depending what you do on the PC. Id consider maybe buying two 512 RAM cards, i probably wouldnt worry about getting another PC.

Im sure your other half knows, but just incase, you need equal amounts of RAM on either card, so pull out the 256 board, and put in two 512's giving you 1gig of RAM.

Will have to check what type it takes, it should say something like DDR

Comment

Working...
                              X