GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Lappy changed the size of itself :-( - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lappy changed the size of itself :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lappy changed the size of itself :-(

Ok, I'll be the first to admit I'm poo when it comes to laptops, so try going gently on me, as no doubt I'll describe what I mean incorrectly...

My laptop has installed new updates overnight, and now everything looks wrong! It's all too big.
    I've gone into control panel, appearance and resolution, and played around there and it hasn't made any difference.
    I've tried making things smaller using the ctrl button and all that does is make the web content smaller but the browser bit at the top is still too big.

It was like this when I first got the lappy (18 months ago), but now I can't find where I have to go to change it back to how it was.

It's an asus, on windows 7 home premium

Help please lol I know my eyesight's going but this is taking the michael!

Re: Lappy changed the size of itself :-(

Oh, and something else I noticed, when I log out of a forum the confirmation box has changed too! It's now a blue rectangular box...A bit like a windows dialogue box. It wasn't like that yesterday!

Comment

Hi alwaysskint,
      Hmm it sounds like it's changed your settings during update
      What browser are you using?
      Is the toolbar at the bottom of the screen bigger than normal too?
      What resolution is it set at, and what's your screen size?

Shep x

Comment

Have you tried right clicking on the desktop and selecting > screen resolution> display, there should be some options there to adjust the size.

Comment

Mine does this sometime when I reboot with my phone or camera still plugged in it adjusts to suit the lower resolution.

On Vista you will find the settings under personalisation - Display
          Set the resolution to it's highest setting and you should be back to normal. If this doesn't work you could always do a restore back to before the update installed.

Regards, Handy
          Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
          Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys n gals

Shepherdess - No, but the icons on the task bar were bigger than normal - elongated to fit, so the four I have locked on the taskbar, instead of taking up a quarter of the length, took up almost half!

Vossy - yes, did all that

Handy - did what you suggested and everything went back to the way it was lol

I then went into the display settings and the monitor had changed from 'generic' something or other offering a max resolution of 1024 x 768, to mobile pc display with a resolution of 1355 x 768 which definitely wasn't there earlier.
            What I can't figure out now is why the generic option is no longer there, or why the mobile pc one wasn't there earlier (Confused.com)

Any ideas? Or am I going to have to do Handy's trick everytime?

Comment

It may be worth a system restore to yesterday if the computer was fine then, it won't harm anything but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Comment

That's what I did Vossy :-) as per Handy's suggestion, and it worked

Comment

Hey Allways glad it worked. After windows 3.11 I lost it. these day's I just change things till I get lucky

As I said If I have my phone or e reader connected and the system goes to sleep when I restart it comes back at the lower resolution.

It's a pain as the icons appear so large and fuzzy its difficult to see what your doing in control panel.

Still as long as I know what causes it, I only have myself to blame if I don't disconnect any toys properly before closing the lid.

Regards, Handy
                  Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                  Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Glad its sorted now

I know there was a problem with Win7 and hibernation in that upon waking the system would either freeze or change the display settings, disabling it usually cures a lot of problems.

Its a computer - shit happens with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Hey Allways glad it worked. After windows 3.11 I lost it. these day's I just change things till I get lucky
                      Now that is really showing your age!

I remember Windows 3.1 but i had to be around 8 years old at the time, (at a guess)
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

First machine I had was 3.11, then Win95, it was like buying a new car back then. Currently 1 machine running Win7 Ultimate 64bit, 1 running XP and one running Ubuntu (Linux).
                        The XP machine is the fastest as it is slipstreamed, I do like Win7 a lot to be fair and as for the Ubuntu - well it just works

Comment

Aaaargh - I hate updates! If it weren't broke don't try to fix it lol

I now have a 'problem' with Windows Live mail

When I get a new message it USED to show in the unread mail folder, now it's not showing in there and I have to go find it in the relevant email account

Pfft! How do I guide them to show in the unread folder again :-(

(Did I mention I was poo when it comes to lappytops? lol)

Comment

At the top of the left hand pane, right click where it says Quick Views and click select quick views. You should then get a screen with several boxes to tick for what views you want. The top box will be for unread email..shows all messages in all accounts..tick that and then OK and it should sort it...

Shep x

Comment

I thought you might find this funny always...

Click image for larger version

Name:	booted computer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1389920
                              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                              X