GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Water Metre v Water Rates - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Metre v Water Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Metre v Water Rates

I've never had a water metre but the new property I am moving into has one.

Any tips???

At the moment I pay £35 over 9 months - do you think this could be more with the metre.............

Re: Water Metre v Water Rates

Originally posted by LooLoo View Post
    I've never had a water metre but the new property I am moving into has one.

Any tips??? Don't flush the Loo

At the moment I pay £35 over 9 months - do you think this could be more with the metre.............
    That's cheap.......
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww about your tip!!

On the plus side at new house we have a shower which we never had before - so that will save on running baths - and we only have a small dishwasher again that will save?

Comment

Pay less for your water

Everyone uses different amounts of water and yet, except for those on a meter, we all pay the same rate, based on the rateable value of our property.
        If your household only uses a small amount of water because, for example, everyone is at work during the day, then a meter may be the cheapest option for you.
        But, if you use a lot of water because you are a keen gardener or have a large family, you may find an unmeasured bill better value.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww about your tip!!

On the plus side at new house we have a shower which we never had before - so that will save on running baths - and we only have a small dishwasher again that will save?
          You may find you will be better off.............

Comment

Not a keen gardener and are new garden is quite small.....

not a large family and when the little loos come to stay - they are boys and seem to have a bit of an allergic reaction to water - they are forced to have baths so hopefully we will be ok.....

Comment

Originally posted by in 2 deep View Post
              You may find you will be better off.............

lets hope so

Comment

A third of water in homes is used to flush toilets. Until you limit the amount of water in the cistern, you could be flushing away a couple of gallons of drinking water every time you spend a penny!

Do you need to do anything?

Not if you already have the choice of a short flush or a low capacity cistern. Check whether:
                • the cistern has two-buttons to give a choice of long and short flushes.
                • the handle has two positions so you get a short flush when you only press it down a little way.
                • you have a slimline toilet cistern installed since 1993 the flush is usually only 4.5 litres.
                Put a hippo or save-a-flush in the cistern!

These small bags of harmless crystals reduce the amount of water used each flush — for larger cisterns installed before 1993. Make sure it doesn’t get in the way of the arm and float that operate the valve. Or simply fill a small plastic bottle with water and put it in the cistern — experiment until you find the right size bottle.

Adjust the amount of water going into the cistern

If you find that a hippo or save-a-flush doesn’t work well in your cistern, you could adjust the valve to reduce the height of water in the cistern — but be sure that there is still enough water to clean the pan.

Dual flush replacement cisterns

If you are replacing a toilet cistern, choose a dual flush model these use about 2.5 litres for the short flush and not more than 4 litres for the long flush.

Comment

I know we were...I used to pay £35 a month then we moved to a 2 bed bungalow with meter & payments dropped to £18 a month and we've a washing machine on every day shower etc etc so much better off for us!

Comment

Get a dog to lick the plates so you won't need a dishwasher. I find this works for me

Comment

or if you dont have a dog I found paper plates work just as well

Comment

I am about £100 per annum better off with a meter - all new builds have meters, no option! But yea, we pay around £170 per qtr. Before it was £190-£210 per quarter...
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I have lived in a house where we was on rates and one where its metered, and if im honest, there isnt really much difference for me.

I guess the less you use on a meter the better off you will be but ive personally never seen much difference in costs.

Comment

One of the things since we moved we are more careful with how we use water now...had a jetwasher in the last place used it here once when we moved in to clean flags etc watched the water meter spin like crazy while it was on!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X