GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Thames Water Amnesty - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thames Water Amnesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thames Water Amnesty

In London the main water supplier is Thames Water and throughout February and March they have decided to do an amnesty for those that have not been paying their bills. This could’ve have happened for a number of reasons, one of the main reasons is if large houses have been converted into flats over the years, only one flat may have been getting the bill.

They have basically given all their customers a 6 week period if they have not been billed to register with them and all back dated bills will be waived and they will just pay from 3rd March onwards.

This caught my attention, one of my first thoughts was, well if you have gone say 6 years without Thames Water catching up with you, what are the likelihood of them catching up with you now? Chance you take I guess.

I however have been in touch with the lovely Thames Water and will tell you my story of their er erm ineptitude…….

When we first moved in to our house – it was a probate sale so was a bit – how shall we say – “old fashioned”. We therefore completely ripped the place apart.

Once we finally moved in I contacted all the various utility companies to register. In our old flat we always paid a monthly rate we were not on a metre so I called them to set up the same arrangement. When I called up they said – o but your property had a metre. I said no it really doesn’t. NO it does it says on our records it has a metre. No I am really telling you I really doesn’t. So you need to set me up on monthly payments. But you need to give us your metre reading. NO I CAN’T BECAUSE GUESS WHAT WE DON’T HAVE A METRE. Anyway this goes on for a while and I eventually give up.

I get the odd letter from them. I finally bear to have another call with them. I get though so someone who actually does have a bit of sense and says, I know we’ll send someone round.

So month or so later, little man from Thames Water pops round, and hey guess what he says o you don’t have a water metre (No Sh!t Sherlock!)

So I finally get bills and now obv I have a back log to pay as they wouldn’t let me pay a monthly amount until there was proof that I had no metre.

Anyway things run swimmingly for a good few years. Then I move out of my house and the4 ex transfers the bills to his name including Thames Water. All good. Then last year when I am back in the house and my ex and I close our joint account I think I’d better change the bill back into my name….

So I ring Thames Water, and change my bank details and say can I also put the bill back in to my name. Sure she says. O she says IT SAYS HERE YOU HAVE A METRE. No no no no no I cry I DO NOT have a metre you know that I don’t have a metre you sent a man round…… Well sorry but it says on our system that you do. So the easiest thing – although I pay the bill from my account – the bill is in my ex’s name otherwise I would have all this you do/you don’t have a metre and I think I would actually lose the will to live.

I just had to laugh after reading about their amnesty – I mean if they can’t get something so fundamental like if I have a metre or not correct – is there any hope of them actually catching these people who are not already on their radar?

Re: Thames Water Amnesty

Good Ideas in theory but as you said need to get their act together first!!

Comment

I will be interested in hearing how many people took up this amnesty and how many people when the time is up have to pay this back log of bills to them? Will they have to send a rep round to every single property in London that they do not have on their records?

I mean if they are sending a bill to No 1 The Avenue - how do they know there is not 3 flats there 1a and 1b? it is going to take a lot to sort it out??

Comment

Nothing to do with the Thames Water Ammnesty.....But the over all Water Utilties board:

Water bills in England and Wales up nearly 5% in April 2011........Read more at Media News Forum of latest update
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
        X