GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Electric help! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric help!

So my son has been a bit naughty he fell behind on his electric and put his head in the sand he had about 200ish outstanding so the company came put a meter in and arranged him to pay back 8.00 a week.

roll on like 6ish months later and they have sent him a letter to say apparently they set his tariff wrong and now he owes over 400.00!! i mean i dont know how they worked that out as they have been taking their 8.00 a week and for a 1bdrm flat he tops on regular to what i would expect

point being is can he do anything abut this they set the meter up they set the tariff...

Re: Electric help!

sorry Jen, don't want to read and run, but I have no Idea about this, maybe he could complain about it being their fault and see if they will meet half way ? just an Idea x
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Depends who it's with - Scot Power are pretty good at meeting you halfway if they are to blame, others (N Power) won't budge an inch.....
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi Jen

When they say they 'set their tariff' wrong for how long has that been the case? Has it just been for the 6 months he has had a pre-payment meter?

If not and they are trying to back-bill for more than 12 months then he shouldn't be liable for this as its the energy company that are at fault. More info here:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publi...aflet-2012.pdf

However, if it has been the last 6 months then definitely worthwhile a formal complaint anyway as their ineptitude has increased his indebtedness

Best
        SnV
        "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I agree with SnV on the back-billing issue, but even if it's less than 12 months your son still has a reason to complain utilizing the Code of Practice for Accurate Bills from the Energy Suppliers Association. All the energy suppliers have signed up to this.

Since the meter has been removed and replaced with a pre-payment one they'd have a hard time proving anything about the readings. Who says the meter wasn't faulty in the first place. It can't be tested now it's gone.

He should make a formal complaint to the supplier. Here's a link to Which? which even has template letters for him to download.

http://www.which.co.uk/switch/energy...ow-to-complain-

Then if that doesn't get him what he wants he should refer the complaint to the Energy Ombudsman. According to Which? 95% of cases get upheld by the Ombudsman which can also award compensation for stress and inconvenience

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/energy.html

How did he select his energy supplier? There could be a case of misselling the "tariff" in the first place which he could use as a stick to beat them with. He should go on a comparison website and see if he can get a cheaper tariff and then accuse them of overcharging.

By the time he's finished with them they'll regret ever asking for the back-payment

Comment

Thanks y'all they are asking for backpayment from the PREPAID meter! its with a welsh supplier actually he didn't select it the landlord did.

basically he moved into flat 4-5 moths after living there he fell behind so they put in a prepayment meter in about 6 months ago and now they sent a letter saying the prepayment meter tariff was wrong.

Comment

I'd be inclined to check what the tariff is and go on the suppliers web site and peruse the tariffs they advertise so you can determine exactly what tariff they have put your son on, which tariff he should have been on and work out the difference myself first...they may have made another error and he doesn't owe anything ?? It may be their standard tariff (the most expensive..especially if it is a pre pay tariff) and you could argue that was punitive and he should (according to current good practice) be offered the cheapest tariff they have available...if he wasn't then there is room for negotiation here..

Comment

Working...
              X