GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Water bill - what would be a reasonable offer? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water bill - what would be a reasonable offer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water bill - what would be a reasonable offer?

I'm currently on JSA and already have my income squeezed via gas and electricity (pre-payment meters) and council tax deductions from my benefits. Water bills are not a "priority debt" as I understand it, although they can still threaten court action etc. I've tried talking to them before and the woman on the phone wanted ridiculous levels of weekly payment - £6 a week, plus another £6 a week on top to clear arrears. This is ridiculous and leaves me with about £30 a week for food with all the other deductions going on. I've had major problems with my diabetes lately but seem to be on the mend again and I'm trying my hardest to find work, as what little is left of my savings has been depleted, but you all know the state of the job market.

Now surely the whole point of making an offer is that you make an offer that you can actually afford, isn't it? I think the very best I can offer is £5 a month, which they have point blank refused. So we seem to be in deadlock. Their latest threatogram gives a deadline of tomorrow before they "may" start legal proceedings, which they say will automatically result in court costs being added. But surely if I've made a reasonable offer, then the courts would waive the costs if they find the water company have been unreasonable?

Re: Water bill - what would be a reasonable offer?

Hi,

I feel for you. You are on JSA, looking for work and receiving threatening letters from the water board!

I don't believe they can turn your water off. I am sure they want their money, but if you haven't got it, you haven't got it.

Perhaps you could provide them with proof of your JSA so they can see for themselves you aren't trying it on with them?

As for the best offer: If you have worked out that you could afford £5 then i would stick to your guns mate.

Best.
    SA
    Last edited by SA Gold; 24 October 2013, 09:51.
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Re: Water bill - what would be a reasonable offer?

If this is Yorkshire Water they are exclusive in that they actively have a team and system in place that allows arrears to be repaid over a long term - this was also mentioned in one of my links posted yesterday on your other thread.

I'd contact them.... It might be the Resolve Team IIRC

Edit - yep --> http://www.yorkshirewater.com/your-a...ve-scheme.aspx
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X