GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Bills/gas/electric - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bills/gas/electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bills/gas/electric

Checked my online billing for both Gas & Electric, both with Swalec.
    Gas £178.54
    Electric £195.13

They are accurate readings, and are paid for quarterly.

I have a 3 bed house, nothing too big though and no longer have a radiator in every room, in the kitchen it was removed in order for fit in new fittings when it was done, and there's not one in the back smallish bedroom.
    Overall we have 5 radiators, a coal affect gas fire, running off the boiler, not a combi then.
    And we have gas hob and electric oven.

I do tend to put heating on only when needed, so early first thing, and last thing before going to bed.
    We probably use more electric than gas, although I expect it's the same for everyone in that respect, lighting etc.

I know bills are going to be higher now since the raise, and we yet have a lot more colder weather to come.

Would you say the above would be an average bill for this time a year folks?
    I know it can differ for everyone, as everyone circumstances differ.

Re: Bills/gas/electric

I think we average around 1200 per year Di, will be more now with the increases coming into effect, we have 7 radiators and gas hob with electric oven, its no good switching either in my opinion because there is no real competition, I wouldn't switch to save an estimated 45 quid a year, that's a load of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
      I think we average around 1200 per year Di, will be more now with the increases coming into effect, we have 7 radiators and gas hob with electric oven, its no good switching either in my opinion because there is no real competition, I wouldn't switch to save an estimated 45 quid a year, that's a load of crap.
      i AGREE Vos, I was infact thinking about switching but on checking, it hardly made any difference at all. So changed my mind.
      This is a no win situation really as you said they have all increased, so we're no better off wherever we go.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
        i AGREE Vos, I was infact thinking about switching but on checking, it hardly made any difference at all. So changed my mind.
        This is a no win situation really as you said they have all increased, so we're no better off wherever we go.
        Its true as well, you hear of people changing and swapping for 50p a week - why???

Comment

Its true as well, you hear of people changing and swapping for 50p a week - why???
          lmao a year

Comment

I am with BG and have just signed the fix and fall thing until next November, we all know the prices won't go up again now and they won't come down either but I suppose I now know what I am paying for 12 months.

Comment

I am with BG and have just signed the fix and fall thing until next November, we all know the prices won't go up again now and they won't come down either but I suppose I now know what I am paying for 12 months.
              Yes exactly, and you know where you are with them.
              At my last house, over 10 years ago, I was a BG customer, mum will forever stay with them, and never believes in changes.
              I don't blame her though! Especially these days.

Comment

My gas and elec bills are enormous Somewhere in the region of £100 for each a month - and our house is still freezing most of the time... When I'm working from home, I generally sit wearing my coat rather than putting the heating on until my hands get to the point where they can no longer work a keyboard and then I give in and chuck the heating on for an hour. Evenings in front of the tv I'm kept warm by my trusty sleeping bag!

Our house is relatively big (too big to be honest, but negative equity has us stuck here for years to come yet) and with it being a Victorian place it has high ceilings and suspended floors and we just can't keep any heat in.

We've got loft insulation and double glazing, but there's nothing much else we can do - we have the wrong type of walls for cavity insulation (which I don't understand as there is a cavity there), to fill the suspended floors is a major job which we don't have the money for...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

We pay by direct debit and get bills every 6 months from Swalec and although my family think I'm insane when I follow them around switching things off behind them, it makes it sort of worthwhile when I see that for the 3rd year running I've managed to reduce our daily consumption of both gas and electric. It probably only saves pennies a year, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something.

Comment

mine has estimate by them to have gone up £100 - £105 on the duel fuel, on line account Atlantic, without extra use in fact less than last year, for my 1930 3 bedroom semi-detached house.
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I have a monthly bill of about £130 with BG ( combined gas and elec) for a 4 bed detached house.

Comment

I was listening to LBC the other day, they were talking about gas and electric prices.

One caller rang in and said that he found an article in Which? magazine, where he pays £1.50 a month to be a member of a discount club, and they hunt around for the best deals for him.

He said he saves around £85 a quarter on his gas and electric, now obviously i dont know the size of his house, or how long he has hes heating on for etc, but sounded like a good saving anyway.

Still need to do some research, but if you got some time, have a little search for it.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
                        I have a monthly bill of about £130 with BG ( combined gas and elec) for a 4 bed detached house.
                        That is not far off my bills now combined treble that for quarterly, hence 3 bed etc

Comment

I've just seen this while checking my emails
                          50 ways to use less energy - Yahoo! Finance UK
                          maybe a few tips that might be useful.

If you do switch go through a cashback site sometimes you can get £50 - £100 cash back, at the moment its between £20 - £50
                          It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

Comment

Working...
                          X