GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Pesky Car dealers - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pesky Car dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pesky Car dealers

DD is selling her quite fine car. She was strolling around a car dealers last week and the guy asked if she had a trade in, she said yes it's over there. He muttered something about it being worth so much, she said no she knew it was worth so much more (already checked the blue book with the help of a kind friend). They had another look around, decided they didn't fancy anything and toodled off.

Finished

However she got a letter yesterday from her finance provider with a settlement figure for her car (she already knew this as she'd checked this before looking at other cars) and on the back it had a lovely wee line saying this had been requested by the garage that they'd looked at cars in.

Now is it entirely legal that any bugger in a car showroom can request and get personal and private information on production of a car registration number? We tackled the lender and they said it was as long as it's a linked (to them) garage. There is no ticky box on the request to say that the client has authorised this, they can just do it off their own bat it appears. Our concern is that private personal information about DDs finance is now sitting on a desk in a car showroom with no way to get it back and no way apparently to prevent it happening again. It also occurred to me that any old doorstepper can check on any cars in your drive when they are purporting to collect doorsteps, surely this cannot be legal?
    Last edited by MrsD; 23 March 2013, 16:07. Reason: crap spelling

Re: Pesky Car dealers

Doesn't sound right to me but no doubt perfectly legal (not that I know)
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I don't know, what is this world coming to, nothing's private anymore is it ?!

Comment

All registered car dealers have access to HPI records, you would be surprised at how many people try to sell cars that are subject to Finance.
        The finance company writing to your DD is just another security measure to make sure she is aware that a finance check had been carried out just in case it wasn't her that had turned up at the garage with the car.

Some cars are stolen knowingly when the owner is away on holiday hence no stolen car report for a week or more

Comment

Sounds perfectly reasonable, and actually a very good thing, now that you've explained it from another perspective!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
            All registered car dealers have access to HPI records, you would be surprised at how many people try to sell cars that are subject to Finance.
            The finance company writing to your DD is just another security measure to make sure she is aware that a finance check had been carried out just in case it wasn't her that had turned up at the garage with the car.

Some cars are stolen knowingly when the owner is away on holiday hence no stolen car report for a week or more

I think in this instance though, the dealer was rather jumping the gun.

HPI records are not always accurate. We were looking to part-ex a car that was on finance, told the dealer it was, on doing the HPI check, nothing showed! Admin error from the finance company I guess?
            Good job we're honest!

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post

mmm still don't see how a perfect stranger can check financial details with no good reason, I go to a lot of trouble to keep me and mine under any radar that's floating around, I just don't like all this private info in the public domain. call me paranoid!!
              I understand how it works but surely there should be an element of choice??

Comment

It is no worse than the DVLA selling your details which I see as a bigger crime.

Comment

Technology MrsD, as a vat registered motor trade company give me a car registration no. and in less than 15 minutes of submitting an enquiry to HPi, I'll have a report emailed back to me to tell me the car owners name address, if there is outstanding finance on the car, and if so how much is owing,which company holds the finance, if the car has been recorded as being subject of any insurance claim for damage,if it is currently taxed, name of insurance company, where and when it was last MOT'd

Very difficult to stay under any radar these days with vehicle ownership or in fact anything else that requires ID .......big brother is watching us all.....

Comment

scary biscuits!!!

Comment

alland...

Comment

um, i had a friend at a car dealer do a HPI check for me recently and this is what came back - i've scrubbed the car off, but as you can see there are no personal details on there. I think he said the V5 bit only reveals if there are outstanding issues with the document - not the personal details.
                        Attached Files
                        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

very useful post missy,

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by CAPS ESC View Post
                            very useful post missy,

Thank you
                            you are very welcome!
                            When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Originally posted by missy View Post
                              um, i had a friend at a car dealer do a HPI check for me recently and this is what came back - i've scrubbed the car off, but as you can see there are no personal details on there. I think he said the V5 bit only reveals if there are outstanding issues with the document - not the personal details.
                              Missy that is a very basic cost HPI report, in the case of this particular vehicle, there is no requirement as far as personal info being needed as it is showing as finance and insurance claim clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X