GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Updating driving licence - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updating driving licence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating driving licence

Mrs RTB got a Christmas job at Sainsburys last year which has now ended. When she applied we discovered that they now require you to supply all sorts of documents even before they'll interview you. A mad panic ensued and we managed to get a full birth certificate in time (they wouldn't accept the short form). When she started Sainsburys they also asked for a Passport or Driving Licence. Passport had expired and her licence is an old paper one which they wouldn't accept. Eventually they took the expired passport, I expect only as it was a short term contract.

So now Mrs RTB is looking for work and hopefully we'll have some interviews soon. But I know what's coming - as she doesn't have ID with a photo then they'll refuse to interview or take her on.

So I've looked at the gov website about exchanging a paper licence for a photo id licence and they require a photo passport, which we haven't got. I follow the link explaining alternative documents and it seems we can also supply a biometric residence permit or a UK certificate of naturalisation. Being a she's born and bred in England she has neither.

Being we have no need of a passport and certainly can't afford the £70 for one (can't afford the £20 for a driving licence either but we have no option) any suggestions as to what we can do?

I've been in full time employment for the last 17 years and Mrs RTB has been doing foster care for the last 12/13 so it's come as a bit of a shock that even to get a job stacking shelves we have to supply all this paperwork! Times is a changing and not for the better!
    Last edited by roomtobreathe; 22 January 2013, 12:56.

Re: Updating driving licence

Sorry to hear about the bother.

When working at Sainsbugs did she get at photopass? Would this do.

I cannot understand why we need to have photo-id. We are getting to a stage where a national identity document is a necessity for commerce and not for security. Even proof of being over 18 for the purchase of alcohol is a problem.

There are millions of UK born people that have no reason to hold a driving licence or a passport. Options could be Student Id cards, membership of clubs etc. but they imply some contribution or payment.

Perhaps the Job Centre could help out. They have the NI number and the other details. Could they not provide, proof of right yo work in the UK?

Comment

No photopass from Sainsburys, wouldn't be accepted in other places anyway.

I believe that the issue of photo documentation among shops and employers is because they'll get a hiding from the government if they're found to be employing people who are not entitled to work in the UK.

Unfortunately the documentation requirements for exchange driving licences seem to be very specific and narrow.

Comment

needing photo id for proof that you are legally allowed to work in the UK is a lame excuse.

Thats what national insurance numbers are for.

And starting April 2013 the law is changing, so employers can search details to see if someone is entitled to work under RTI.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I'm sure you can just swap your paper licence for a photo one and pay the £20, no passport is needed.

For free just change the address on your licence to your mums, when it comes through change it back again
          Last edited by vossy; 22 January 2013, 15:10.

Comment

Paper Licence, had no problems with Embassies or any other organisations, changing to card with photo, no way until it is due to be done.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
              Paper Licence, had no problems with Embassies or any other organisations, changing to card with photo, no way until it is due to be done.
              I agree, it is an accepted form of ID, nowhere does it say you have to have photo ID to prove your identity.

Comment

Well based on a CRB check and the standard "Proving your Identity" factsheet; I'd suggest you read the following as a good example --> Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checks (Disclosure and Barring Service) - GOV.UK

As you can see:

Route 1

The applicant must be able to show:

1 document from Table 1, below
                2 other documents from either Table 1 or Table 2a or 2b, below
                One of the documents must show the applicant’s current address.

Thus as you can't comply with table 1 (photo evidence) you'd take route 2:

Route 2

If the applicant doesn’t have any of the documents in Table 1, then they must be able to show:

1 document from Table 2a
                2 other documents from either Table 2a or 2b
                One of the documents must show the applicant’s current address. The organisation conducting their ID check must then also use an appropriate external ID validation service to check the application.

Table 2a:

Current driving licence – old-style paper version UK
                Birth certificate – issued after time of birth UK and Channel Islands
                Marriage/civil partnership certificate UK and Channel Islands

So that's the government standard which is perfectly acceptable.

Table 2(b) also has:
                Mortgage statement UK or EEA Issued in last 12 months
                Bank or building society statement UK and Channel Islands or EEA Issued in last 3 months
                Bank or building society account opening confirmation letter UK Must still be valid
                Credit card statement UK or EEA Issued in last 3 months
                Financial statement, eg pension or endowment UK Issued in last 12 months
                P45 or P60 statement UK and Channel Islands Issued in last 12 months
                Council Tax statement UK and Channel Islands Issued in last 12 months
                Work permit or visa UK Valid up to expiry date
                Letter of sponsorship from future employment provider Non-UK or non-EEA only - valid only for applicants residing outside of the UK at time of application Must still be valid
                Utility bill UK – not mobile telephone bill Issued in last 3 months
                Benefit statement, eg Child Benefit, Pension UK Issued in last 3 months
                Central or local government, government agency, or local council document giving entitlement, eg from the Department from Work and Pensions, the Employment Service, HMRC UK and Channel Islands Issued in last 3 months
                EU National ID card - Must still be valid
                Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo UK and Channel Islands Must still be valid
                Letter from Head Teacher or College Principal UK - for 16 to 19 year olds in full time education - only used in exceptional circumstances if other documents cannot be provided Must still be valid
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

As you can see from tables 2 a & 2 b you have more than enough acceptable ID to apply for any job as part of Proving your Identity standard employer checks.
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

We're both CRB checked as we were foster carers and never needed any of the new fangled photo id documents.

The problem is that we're finding that prospective employers lay out what they require, and often it seems to be photo id either a driving licence or passport. To get the interview at Sainsburys we argued until we were blue in the face but eventually we had to pay a priority service to get a full birth certificate else no interview.

Can anyone have a look at the gov page for exchanging driving licences and tell me how they read it?

Identity documents needed for a driving licence application - GOV.UK

Ta.

Comment

I read it that you can use these instead:

UK birth and adoption certificates

UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used, but need to be sent with one of the following:
                      • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing your National Insurance number
                      • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
                      • P45, P60 or pay slip
                      • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
                      • college or university union card or school record
                      Taken from the link you provided...
                      If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

I saw that this morning when I revisited the requirements page. I was hoping someone would confirm that was indeed the case.

Panic over!

Comment

Working...
                        X