GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Small crash Thurs 3rd Jan 2013 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small crash Thurs 3rd Jan 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small crash Thurs 3rd Jan 2013

I had a small collision with another vehicle on Thurs 3rd Jan 2013 which has left me in a small amount of lower chest pain by my diaphragm.

I tended not to notice it unless i coughed as thats when the diaphragm is contracting and expanding with force which was causing just an uncomfortable pain.

I fear that i have done something severe to the ribcage and diaphragm as i am currently on Tramadol, Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Amoxilcilin after having Tooth extraction surgery Yesterday and the only pain i am getting now is in the ribcage whilst lying down.

I am scheduling an appointment with my doctor 2day as need to get some more painkillers prescribed along with a checkup to see if there is damage done to the ribs and/or diaphragm.

The collision itself was at maximum 15mph in the fast lane on the M56 on Thursday and was unaviodable due to the other party not being aware of her surroundings and then slamming the brakes on with no dire need or cause so i ended up rear ending her even though i had been slowly braking and putting distance between us until she ended up dropping from 60mph to about 15mph

More damage to my car than to theirs by far but not enough for either car to be written off.

What is everyones thoughts about whether i am to be seen at fault or not?
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Re: Small crash Thurs 3rd Jan 2013

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
    What is everyones thoughts about whether i am to be seen at fault or not?
    You could see that the car in front was being driven by a woman, who might therefore brake suddenly if she dropped a stitch in her knitting, yet you failed to leave a safe braking distance between your respective motor-cars.

Why?

Comment

i was at least 2 if not 3 car lengths behind her and all of a sudden shes performing an emergency stop from 60mph with no due reason.

I even looked to see if i could move into the middle lane but that would have caused a multi car collision and most likely left me in hospital with broken bones etc
      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Not nearly enough room - you should have left at least several furlongs, if not ¼ mile or more!

Comment

I believe that if you drive into the back of someone, it is your fault regardless?

Many years ago I ended up driving into the back of a car who's driver, without warning (no brake lights or slowing down prior), decided to stop and let someone out of a side road.

Up until this point we had all been driving along in rush hour traffic at between 20 and 30.

It was my "fault" according to insurers, as you should leave a safe stopping distance. Even if you are shunted by the car behind you so far that you hit the car in front of you, then the car you hit can claim from you, I believe.

As for CC's comments
          If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

I agree with DD's comments.

I cannot think in all my time driving I have ever come across a rear end shunt where the person infront has taken the blame however crap they have been driving.

Likewise with the multi shunt. The car at the back gets to pick up the tab. If you are part of the sandwich filling so to speak you always have someone behind to blame. The poor party at the end doesnt.

Comment

While it is very rare for a rear shunt to be ruled that it was entirely the car in fronts fault for causing the accident, in the case of Ali v D’brass a judge decided it was the front car's fault for the crash from behind and dismissed the driver's personal injury claim. The claimant however appealed, claiming that it was the person behinds fault for driving too closely.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I agree with what has been said above (apart from Mr Cloggy's suggestion that us women carry our knitting around in cars - i have never knitted in my life - now as for applying a bit of lippy or mascara.... ) that it is normally the car behinds fault regardless.......... what a pain eh

good luck

Comment

Yup if you rear ended you are at fault. Doesn't matter if she was breaking for a small kitten running infront of her.

My husband has always taught me to not just look at the car infront but the car 1-2 in front of them because action +reaction time = result. Therefore she probably braked to because someone in front of her did. Was there no hard shoulder?

I know it doesn't help you now but 2 chevrons apart will give you plenty of time to slam on your brakes.

as for the pain go see your GP but I suspect bruised ribs etc being the cause but you want to check to ensure its nothing serious.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                    You could see that the car in front was being driven by a woman, who might therefore brake suddenly if she dropped a stitch in her knitting, yet you failed to leave a safe braking distance between your respective motor-cars.

Why?
                    hey now, you should see my knit one pearl two whilst driving down the M6 I have made some of my best blankets.

Comment

I ran into the back of someone when I was 20 years old....yes it was a woman's fault

I was to busy looking at her short shirt she was walking in the opposite direction.

She shouldn't have been wearing a short skirt.
                      Last edited by Deepie; 8 January 2013, 09:45.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sorry but it will be seen as your fault for insurance purposes, but dont worry about that get your chest checked out!!!!!
                        Last edited by mgfboy; 8 January 2013, 10:10.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
                          Sorry but it will be seen as you fault for insurance purposes, but dont worry about that get your chest checked out!!!!!
                          exactly - health is most important!! cars can can be mended or replaced

Comment

Originally posted by in 2 deep View Post
                            I ran into the back of someone when I was 20 years old....yes it was a woman's fault

I was to busy looking at her short shirt she was walking in the opposite direction.

She shouldn't have been wearing a short pelmet.
                            IFYPFY.

Comment

Originally posted by in 2 deep View Post
                              While it is very rare for a rear shunt to be ruled that it was entirely the car in fronts fault for causing the accident, in the case of Ali v D’brass a judge decided it was the front car's fault for the crash from behind and dismissed the driver's personal injury claim. The claimant however appealed, claiming that it was the person behinds fault for driving too closely.
                              How many passengers were there in the claimant's motor-car and how many more passengers claimed for "whiplash" injuries?

Comment

Working...
                              X