GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script BRP - Biometric Residence Permit - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BRP - Biometric Residence Permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRP - Biometric Residence Permit

I need to have a rant, I know it's unlikely anyone on here will be able to give any advice but I can't sleep worrying so need to jot it all down and vent.

In 2002 my husband was granted Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. The letter states that he is free to live and work in the UK.

That was that and we were happy.

It seems that quietly the Home Office changed the rules and didn't feel like they needed to tell anyone.

My husband is self employed but our main client has cash flow problems so has made huge cut backs, including cutting out our services. Basically we have been left with an income of £250 a month from our last remaining client. A day later our landlord announced they were selling the house so we need to move. Section 21 issued.

So we are both job seeking. He was lucky and got a job after his second interview and was due to start on the 9th.

However, he was then told that it was illegal for them to employ him unless he could show that he had a BRP.

This is basically going to cost us £400 for everything. It doesn't seem fair that 15 years ago we had to spend months apart from each other while I was pregnant as he applied for his leave to remain in the UK from America and pay a huge amount of money for the letter which states he has INDEFINITE leave to remain and now suddenly we have to pay out again.

Surely as he already has the ILR document they should just charge an admin fee and swap it for the BRP... It's not our fault they changed the rules!

Apparently there are over a million people who have no idea they are being employed illegally, the Home Office made no effort to contact all the ILR people.

I've no idea what to do, our bank account is literally in the red, we are living from tax credit to tax credit.. in fact we probably aren't even entitled to that seeing as we don't have the client any more!! Shit, I hadn't even thought of that!

I'm not sure if it is EVERY job he can't do or just certain ones, this one involved a lot of money handling and keys to the safe trust.

I'm sat here staring at a Crowdfunding page seriously considering setting it up but feeling embarrassed that I even have to think about it but we can't afford to move, can't afford to get the card he needs to enable him to work and when I look at the councils website about getting housing the little questionnaire quiz always comes up with the result "Private renting" ... ridiculous seeing as we don't even have the money for this months rent.. I've only paid £100 of it ... I'm not sure how much more I can take of this damned bad luck we seem to be stuck in.

So there is my rant.... now I am off to try and make sense of the gov.uk website....

You don’t have to apply for a BRP. You’ll get one automatically as part of your visa or immigration application
    Bull hang... we haven't been sent anything or told anything and have no idea what to do!

Re: BRP - Biometric Residence Permit

Having quickly read through stuff I think they are being overly cautious and I think they can use the government's employer checking service that can tell if he is eligible to work. Is there a government helpline that will clarify this for your husband? Can he say he will apply for one and do so once paid?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

We called the homeoffice and she said he has to get an NTL (no time limit) form filled in and apply for a biometric card.

The NTL form looks like the original ones we filled in back in 2001.... it's asking about who he knows back in America, why he wants to stay in the UK... we cant understand why we are having to redo all this when he was given indefinite leave to remain... not temporary ... it's madness!!!!

Comment

did he not apply for British citezenship within the last 10+ years, I know goal post changed, but after leave to remain British citezenship, thought that was it, mind you faught the Thatcher Government on this issue of immigration and The Rights of Family Unity to bring my wife and daughter to the UK , a well publised case at the time, another thing they have made the whole issue a money making racket by the government as all areas of their responsibility.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

No he didn't... I think that costs around £1,800... we cant even afford the 400!! :-(

Comment

Sorry to hear this Patch...you do seem to be having more than your fair share of bad luck at the moment x

It might be worth getting in touch with your MP.
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

OK... we sent off the forms!!!!!

Comment

Was your husband able to start his job?

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                  Was your husband able to start his job?
                  He can't until we have proof that the forms and permissions are going through. Apparently they send a letter with a bar code on it for the Biometrics to be done at the Post Office... so.. we are waiting for that to arrive to show his job and then hopefully he can start!

It's like waiting for a baby to be born.. every time the postlady arrives we stand behind the door!!!

Comment

Oh and the rules have also changed for renting accommodation.... Agencies and Landlords need the same paperwork proof...

It wont be long before they start sliding the rule in for the rest of us I should imagine until all of us have our biometric data harvested.

Comment

Originally posted by patchouli View Post
                      It wont be long before they start sliding the rule in for the rest of us I should imagine until all of us have our biometric data harvested.
                      Isn't that already being done with chipped passports?
                      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Fingers dosed that there isn't a backlog.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                          Isn't that already being done with chipped passports?
                          Yes but he has to submit his finger prints !!

We fought like dogs about 8 years ago not to have our children forced to have to give their thumb print over to the school for meals / library etc... (we won) but now it's being slowly slipped in ..wont be long before all of us have dna and prints harvested.

Mine already is as I was once (stupidly) an Hofficer of da law.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                          Fingers dosed that there isn't a backlog.
                          Nooooooo don't say that!! Shhhhhhhhhh

ps: every time I read you name I say it in a Buzz Lightyear "to infinity and beyond" way... Kimroooooo Ambith!!!!

pps: Finger DOSED? I think they were dosing at that point! lmao

Comment

I love predictive text on a mobile phone screen

Comment

yeah not all the time though... I was texting a member of my family something like "I'd love to see you all later, come round" and it was changed on send to "I'd love to TITS!!! later come round"

Comment

Working...
                              X