GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script On emergency tax after being on JSA all year - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On emergency tax after being on JSA all year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On emergency tax after being on JSA all year

I started a temp job last Friday after spending the rest of the tax year on JSA. I didn't have my P45 yet, so I had to fill in the agency's online equivalent of a P46 declaration on their online timesheet system.

The trouble is that yesterday I tried to log in to do this week's timesheet and I didn't get the password right on the first two attempts, so was locked out. I was trying to follow IT best practice by having a different (and strong) password for everything and managed to forget this one the first couple of times. No problem, I thought, I'll just follow the procedure to set a new password. So I did - and then once I had done that, it told me that the account was suspended anyway and to contact the IT admin if I "feel" that this is wrong.

Of course the IT staff are on bloody holiday and won't be back until 2 January, as indeed the rest of the agency's employees won't be.

Now my problem is that I am in the worst of all possible worlds here because I ticked "Statement B" on the P46, which I understand will put me on a "Week 1" emergency tax code. As I will have missed the deadline for this particular week's payroll, it will be rolled over to the next available pay week, which means I miss out on a week's personal allowance - on bloody emergency tax at that, which will put me a couple of hundred quid out of pocket when technically I shouldn't be paying a bean as I've only received about £2,000 in benefits and my personal allowance will be the standard £9.44k.

As it happens, my actual P45 from the DWP has now arrived in the post. If I give this to the agency people when they get back to work on 2 January, how long can I expect it to take to be put on my proper tax code?

Re: On emergency tax after being on JSA all year

It shouldn't take that long to action. My daughter started a job after being on JSA and handed in her P45 approx. 2 weeks before she was paid. Her tax code had been set correctly, so no emergency tax was taken.
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
      It shouldn't take that long to action. My daughter started a job after being on JSA and handed in her P45 approx. 2 weeks before she was paid. Her tax code had been set correctly, so no emergency tax was taken.
      This will override any emergency code set by filling in the P46? I hope so. I'm being paid on a weekly basis, so it will make quite a difference if pay from one week gets rolled into another.

Comment

Happened to me last year - took about three weeks (partly cos I was slow!) - but didnt have to wait until April for the money and was in pay the week it got assigned. IIRC I didnt pay tax for several weeks after either as would have been undfer the threshold
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

If it were me, id correct the tax code, add the P45 figures and run payroll on the following period with the new info. You will get your PA back and it will refund or deduct from tax due on your next payslip. So dont worry.

Comment

Originally posted by evilcartman View Post
            This will override any emergency code set by filling in the P46? I hope so. I'm being paid on a weekly basis, so it will make quite a difference if pay from one week gets rolled into another.
            It should... but often doesn't. The P45 will sort the tax code out once you're able to hand it in... and anything you've already paid in emergency tax will be refunded in subsequent pay providing you stay in the same job, otherwise you may have to chase it up.
            Remember the mantra:
            NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
            Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
            Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

If the payroll department do their job, it will be fine. Most havent got a clue, chase it up if it isnt corrected on your next payslip.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                If the payroll department do their job, it will be fine. Most havent got a clue, chase it up if it isnt corrected on your next payslip.
                Indeed, I seem to have been saddled with one of the ones that haven't a clue.

After first being told that they only required a scanned copy of the P45, which I provided, I discovered on my first payslip that they had put me on a Week 1 emergency tax code anyway. When I queried this, they told me that now they want the actual P45 posting to them. So now on my second payslip there are tax and NI deductions (the first had none as it was only one day).

My next payslip will have about six days' worth of pay, which will consequently have a huge chunk of tax that I shouldn't even be paying yet.

I did also try calling the HMRC helpline, which they helpfully couldn't be arsed to answer. My next step will be to write to HMRC, but it will have to be to the generic PAYE address in Liverpool as the payslip doesn't indicate which tax office it is. I'll keep you all posted.

Comment

mate, ring the cardiff office, they will deal with it. Tell them to issue your employer with a Tax Coding Notice. They HAVE to change the tax code then.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                    mate, ring the cardiff office, they will deal with it. Tell them to issue your employer with a Tax Coding Notice. They HAVE to change the tax code then.
                    Will give that a try. Have sent off the P45 today by Special Delivery anyway, which cost £6.22. :-/

The reason I went for special delivery rather than plain old recorded delivery is that the latter isn't tracked and items can go missing. I learned that to my cost a couple of years ago when I sent a pair of event tickets to someone and they were never delivered, i.e. they got stolen en route. The Royal Mail's attitude was that I should have used Special Delivery, 'nothing to do with us guv" etc. And as the address on the envelope included the word "payroll", I thought there was a chance that some loser might think there was cash inside. And since the P45 isn't replaceable, it wasn't a risk I felt I could take.

Comment

Just to update, I've checked my latest online payslip and I now have the right tax code. They're still deducting National Insurance, of course, which I can't do anything about (even though the government is cutting back on the very services that we paid NI all these years for ).

I did notice also that I have been "auto enrolled" for the "Nest" pensions scheme, which I understand is the government's crappy new stakeholder scheme. I think it's in my interests to opt out, although apparently I'm supposed to have received a "welcome pack" that contains my opt-out code. Surprise, surprise, there's no sign of this "welcome pack"...

Comment

yes you were ment to get a welcome pack, keep on top of it mate, you have 2 weeks to opt out, so make sure you hound them if you wish to do so. You want confirmation that this has been done as well. And I believe you are auto enrolled again every 3 years, so keep track of that also.

Comment

On it.

The Welcome Pack hadn't (and still hasn't) arrived on Friday, so I phoned their support number and was able to obtain the ID code, which I promptly used to opt out, so it's all done now. They do indeed auto-enrol again after three years so I'll keep an eye on it.

Comment

Working...
                          X