GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Poundland Graduate Cait Reilly Wins Appeal - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poundland Graduate Cait Reilly Wins Appeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poundland Graduate Cait Reilly Wins Appeal

Excellent Judgment in the Court of Appeal so all those that have been sanctioned can now claim backdated benefit.

Re: Poundland Graduate Cait Reilly Wins Appeal

Commute three hours a day or lose benefits, jobseekers are told in tough new plan
    The rules will come into force with Universal Credit in April. All claimants will have to sign a commitment with a Jobcentre adviser setting out their responsibility to find work. Those who fail to comply risk losing their benefits.....Read More at AAD Blog pages: Commute three hours a day or lose benefits - allaboutFORUMS
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
      Excellent Judgment in the Court of Appeal so all those that have been sanctioned can now claim backdated benefit.

See this is where I strongly disagree - why is it a good judgment? I am all for backing the disabled and support the likes of Shaw Trust et al (that help disabled persons back into work) but a student that "can't" get a job that has never paid into the system? Nah, sorry - that sucks.

Our government is a joke, I am not saying I know a solution but I do know that you should ONLY get back what you've paid in and unless you've worked for at least 10 years you shouldn't get any benefits because surprisingly, there are still hundreds of thousands of vacancies out there.

I always ask myself, if it meant my family eating or me having to walk for 3 hours to go to work, it's a no brainer - my family would eat just fine. Look at some of these foreign places, they walk for 3 days to get water!

The brits have it easy.

* Rant over
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I am with PF here Niddy!

Agree with some of what you say, but working for ten years before you have rights is a tad harsh.

Cait Reilly case was not about being forced to get a job, it was about being forced to work "for free" - or your benefit anyway, which works out at roughly £1.66 an hour. Slave labour was abolished years ago.

As for the argument it creates a "work ethos" - what a crock of shit.

It wasnt is if the girl wasnt applying for jobs, she was just being rejected left right and centre. Been there and done that myself
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The Merchant Navy I was told decades ago have 3 job offers accept one of them or hard luck out you go, also job 1 offered to decline same with job 2 = there is no going back to them you take 3 regardless or you are out?

These people who do not accept work and have not paid into the scheme should not get anything? abroad if you can get work you are lucky even pittance daily rate, and they always look smart which is part of uniforms, (here where are the uniforms) at the school picking up grandson the other day the young female teacher was in jeans etc. and if they do not turn up or smell of drink they are sacked there and then -= no doe money in those countries, it is hard luck. also without a standard education grade = no job = if you do not believe it go and find out for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
            I am with PF here Niddy!

Agree with some of what you say, but working for ten years before you have rights is a tad harsh.

Cait Reilly case was not about being forced to get a job, it was about being forced to work "for free" - or your benefit anyway, which works out at roughly £1.66 an hour. Slave labour was abolished years ago.

As for the argument it creates a "work ethos" - what a crock of shit.

It wasn't is if the girl wasn't applying for jobs, she was just being rejected left right and centre. Been there and done that myself

Slave Labour? come off it left school at 15 and took home 10 shillings and six pence a week working on agricultural wage in a Ironmongers 42 hours. = 52.5 pence now. no things were not a lot cheaper then just less able to buy.

Comment

Ermmm, but then it's fine for me to pay for her to live then - because I work 100 hours a week?

We (the taxpayer) are funding her so if WE (the taxpayer) expect her to work, work she shall do

I think not mate
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

It wasnt is if the girl wasnt applying for jobs, she was just being rejected left right and centre. Been there and done that myself
                Mate there are jobs - instead of being so fussy she should have taken one - maybe she ought to have considered 'all' jobs and not just specific ones suited to her 'schooling/education'.

Remember I am ex JC+ and see this from both sides.

Most claimants whinge about this and that and we only EVER put jobseekers on placements/new deal etc when we felt they were taking the piss (or statutory i.e. 12 mth reviews)

Comment

Bit like the chap in old ladies cloths seen walking around and in / out of job centre he can only be about 22 yrs old would you employ him unless a drag artist? wonder if he ever earned any money and put into system, we who have all our lives had to pay every week ( even on active service) why not these people, there again those days people had to do 2 years National Service as Israel and others do now, and it made men/women of them or broke them.

No schemes in our day end of the 1950s, your parents took to helping you find a job as best as they can, but covered you until you did get one if unable to line one up on leaving school, lucky I managed to get one as I had been working Saturdays at the Ironmongers since I was 13.
                  Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 23 February 2013, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                    Slave Labour? come off it left school at 15 and took home 10 shillings and six pence a week working on agricultural wage in a Ironmongers 42 hours. = 52.5 pence now. no things were not a lot cheaper then just less able to buy.
                    And at that time, jobs were a lot easier to find - you could walk onto a farm / building site / factory floor and ask for a job - cant be done now, all applications, Health and Safety, regulations and Qualifications.

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    Ermmm, but then it's fine for me to pay for her to live then - because I work 100 hours a week?

We (the taxpayer) are funding her so if WE (the taxpayer) expect her to work, work she shall do

I think not mate
                    You could use that arguement for a lot of scenarios, you also pay for MPs who do little work. You fund disabled people. She applied for jobs and got no response.

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    Mate there are jobs - instead of being so fussy she should have taken one - maybe she ought to have considered 'all' jobs and not just specific ones suited to her 'schooling/education'.

Remember I am ex JC+ and see this from both sides.

Most claimants whinge about this and that and we only EVER put jobseekers on placements/new deal etc when we felt they were taking the piss (or statutory i.e. 12 mth reviews)
                    Agree. There are jobs. You stated earlier there are 100 of thousands of jobs - and there are three million unemployed - so not enough to go round. I dont believe she was overly fussy - lets not forget, this and previous governments has pushed young people towards education (possibly as they no there are no jobs for them). She said she was not above stacking shelves, just she wasnt prepared to do it for free.

I have been where she was - applications galore and no response. I agree I turned some jobs down - but that was because after reading the description "in depth" I didnt have the background "they" wanted for a basic admin job.

Recently, my mate applied for a new job - he was working low hours, on a casual basis at a pub - he told the pub, their response was "No, you work for us or you're sacked"

Last year, I handed in my notice to a job after the employer contacted them for references "to start next week". That employer then told me I had failed basic checks (conducted before the request for references) and the offer had been rescinded.
                    Last edited by oscar; 23 February 2013, 16:58.

Comment

And at that time, jobs were a lot easier to find - you could walk onto a farm / building site / factory floor and ask for a job - cant be done now, all applications, Health and Safety, regulations and Qualifications.

You could use that arguement for a lot of scenarios, you also pay for MPs who do little work. You fund disabled people. She applied for jobs and got no response.

Agree. There are jobs. You stated earlier there are 100 of thousands of jobs - and there are three million unemployed - so not enough to go round. I dont believe she was overly fussy - lets not forget, this and previous governments has pushed young people towards education (possibly as they no there are no jobs for them). She said she was not above stacking shelves, just she wasnt prepared to do it for free.

I have been where she was - applications galore and no response. I agree I turned some jobs down - but that was because after reading the description "in depth" I didnt have the background "they" wanted for a basic admin job.

Recently, my mate applied for a new job - he was working low hours, on a casual basis at a pub - he told the pub, their response was "No, you work for us or you're sacked"

Note:- from the TTC =
                      No you could not the doe offices were swamped with claimants and school levers were out of work, not many years later they increased the leaving age to 16 because of the situation.

Comment

Very difficult argument, however I think the days when people are allowed to spend years (and in some cases all of their working lives) having their life paid for by the taxpayer needs to end.

If I was out of work and wanted to claim benefits and was told the only way I would get them would be to do a few hours in a charity shop, street cleaning or whatever then I'd take the offer. If I didn't like it, then it's up to me to find work that pays me a wage I'm happy with, isn't it?
                        If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

That also reminds me of the pair of Green shoes:-

In the early 1970s I had to go to social security office to sign papers for the wife (then) 3 children and a daughter of our own (I was adopting them from her previous marriage), in front was the wafes and strays from the bottom of our street, I saw a pair of green shoes being taken up to the counter and a claim for new ones being given, o.k. but next I saw the same shoes pass to the one next to her and off she went and claimed for a new pair, o.k. then another one with the same shoes go to the counter and collected money for a new pair, I went (no shoes in hand)and signed a paper application and asked if there was any money due for the children as social worker stated pick up the money, and was told no you are not entitled to any. enough said on the stupid system which is abused and was being seen to be happening and nothing done about the shoe affair. it seems a regular night out money for those women playing darts and drinking.
                          Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 23 February 2013, 18:48.

Comment

I know from bitter experience that getting work isn't all that easy.

This time last year I was applying for all sorts of jobs...shop work, admin work, driving etc...but most didn't want to know because I have a professional qualification. As it is, I'm in temporary work, working far more hours than I'm paid for, and not paid very much at that...and at Easter I'll be going through it all again...a thought that really depresses me.

There have always been those who know how to play the system but I can't see this heavy-handed approach making one bit of difference to them....precisely because they know how to work the system. My ex is one of them..."I just tell them I'm suicidal and they leave me alone"...and because he's alcoholic he gets £30 a week more than JSA
                            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

remember decades ago after a unfair dismissal case = won, then started to apply for jobs which resulted in+ - 49 applications which resulted in 2 x interviews (one of which stated I was over qualified), and another sorry, 2 letters thank you for application But position filled = no response to any of the others.

Eventually got a job at a motorway service area 6 miles away, well it was a job for the time and lasted couple of years to sorted out.

Comment

Working...
                              X