GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Exploited & Held Prisoner By Santander Mortgage.. Help Needed Please - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exploited & Held Prisoner By Santander Mortgage.. Help Needed Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploited & Held Prisoner By Santander Mortgage.. Help Needed Please

Hi folks, I'm in a bit of a mess with my mortgage and in need of some advice. I will try and explain the sequence of events:-

Dec 2007 - Credit crunch not yet quite hit and my wife and I move to a bigger house via a £150,000 mortgage with Santander, 5 year discount term, house worth £170,000. Repayments around £700 a month - both working, not a problem to find £350 each.

May 2009 - Baby arrives, wife stops working - should have seen this coming in hindsight, but oh well. Income nearly halved.

Sep 2011 - Credit cards maxed out, trying to keep on top of everything. Mortgage kept on top of but cards go into a DMP

Aug 2012 - Wife files for divorce out of the blue and leaves the home. I stay put in the house. The mortgage payments are killing me.

Dec 2012 - 5 year Mortgage discount term comes to an end - monthly payment hiked to £860 a month as now on the lender's SVR of 4.99%. Letter received from Santander inviting me to call them to discuss another mortgage offer.

Jan 2013 - Call Santander to request another discounted term - only to be told "computer says no" - NO offers will be given and I am to stay on the SVR. I ask to raise a complaint - the complaint was opened and closed within 7 minutes of me putting the phone down to them (was notified by text). Template letter then received saying they credit check existing customers even though I was not asking them for more money or any sort of forbearance. I was completely up to date with the mortgage and always had been, although it has since slipped to one month down due to the higher payments.

June 2014 - House is now in my sole name although wife is still on the mortgage as Santander refuse to remove her from it. She has agreed to this via a legal agreement endorsed by the court. I'm lucky in that respect, else I would have had to sell.

So, to summarise, even though I am not asking for anything more, and am an existing customer, Santander are denying me a more affordable deal. Obviously rates are due to start rising by the end of the year and they have basically turned me into a sitting duck ready to be plucked, cooked and repossessed when that happens, as another hike in repayments would be the straw that breaks me. Clearly, with a credit rating shot to hell, I have zero chance of moving elsewhere and I feel that Santander are exploiting that by forcing me onto their most expensive rate. It feels like victimization and irresponsible banking, but I don't know what to do about it.

It seems I am far from alone in this Santander exploitation:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...prisoners.html

Any advice from the kind people on here gratefully and humbly received.

Thank you,

GK

Re: Exploited & Held Prisoner By Santander Mortgage.. Help Needed Please

I fear you're right GK

I don't know what you can do about it...Santander are being a set of
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Re: Exploited & Held Prisoner By Santander Mortgage.. Help Needed Please

They certainly are.
      In their own statement in the linked article they suggest that if the application is because of life changing circumstances causing loss of income they will consider it.
      I don't think a telephone complaint is adequate, I think you need to make a well constructed written formal complaint (assuming you've already informed them of your reduced circumstances) and be prepared to take it all the way. I'd even reference the article you linked and make it clear you will take this up with the media and your MP as well as the regulators if they don't treat you fairly.

See what others have to say, especially Plan B

Elsa x
      Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 18 July 2014, 05:57.

Comment

Working...
      X