GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Shopacheck Lost personal DATA - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shopacheck Lost personal DATA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopacheck Lost personal DATA

Not sure where to put this.

Got a letter today from shopacheck who are part of Welcome Finance. They said they have lost 2 IT backups of cutomer data including name,address,DOB, telephone number and email address of customers.

They were raised as missing 4 weeks ago and loss has been reported to relevant authrities. They say theres no evidence its been put in wrong hands but cannot rule it out and so warning us that our data MAY be misused !!!!!!

They then apologise.

I have never used shopacheck but have used Welcome many years ago so guess this is how they have my data............ and now maybe some fraudster has !!!

Thing is that all data they would have had is from long ago yet the letter is addressed to me here at my new address and i have no idea how they knew where i am now. Weird.

Anyway, whats your thoughts on this ? How worried should i be ?
    I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Re: Shopacheck Lost personal DATA

this couldn't be a phishing excerise Billy??

or have I got a wee bad suspicious mind?

Comment

If it was an email i'd put it down to taht, but it was a proper letter with shopacheck and welcome finance details on it with the correct addresses and phone numbers. There was no call to action on it which a phishing scam would have.
      I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

Information on 1.4m customers lost by Cattles Group Birstall headquarters From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

More than a million customers have had their personal details “lost” after a data mix-up at a loan firm’s Birstall headquarters.

The Cattles Group, which owns Welcome Finance loans firm, has written to customers informing them that two back-up storage discs with private information about 1.4 million customers have been misplaced.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

but also including date of birth and payment history for 600,000.

Comment

Do you not have any legal recourse against them?

Comment

I understood that BSE had been eradicated.

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                Do you not have any legal recourse against them?

I've no idea lol I wonder if i could ask for some compensation for my obvious stress suffered Would be nice as welcome refused my PPI claim, not because they mis-sold, but because they werent regulated at the time

Yeh, some compensation would be nice but i dont think they would entertain it. Anyone any idea what the law is on mis-use of data ?

Comment

Yes, I do! Sadly I think you would have to prove that you had suffered personal harm from the loss of data to get any compensation.

Comment

I never realised that Shopacheck were part of Welcome .
                    I remember some years ago having small loans with these and the interest was always extortionate thinking back on it now!
                    I was so vulnerable back then!

Comment

Provident and Vanquis are definitely related, and I think the two of them are related to Shopacheck too.

Quite frightening that you deal with what you think are different companies and they all end up being one!

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                        I never realised that Shopacheck were part of Welcome .
                        I remember some years ago having small loans with these and the interest was always extortionate thinking back on it now!
                        I was so vulnerable back then!
                        And look at you now, I certainly would run a mile if I passed you in a dark alley lol

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                          And look at you now, I certainly would run a mile if I passed you in a dark alley lol

lol me too Pompey

Comment

With this type of loan, it's sold without insurance from what I recall, otherwise I would defo be making a reclaim lol

Comment

Working...
                            X