GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script input please - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

input please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• input please

OH has not worked for some time and has the chance to do some buildiing work, trouble is he needs to fund materials. Would a PDL be worth it for a week ? replies please anything gratfull xxx
    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: input please

Nanna, could he not ask the customer for a deposit, just enough to cover the cost of materials?

I do appreciate, being in the construction industry ourselves, that not all customers are willing to part with money upfront but that is the only way we work now. Sharing the risk if you like.

Unless you can absolutely guarantee that you will have payment in time to satisfy the PDL, I wouldn't even consider it. Sorry. Xx

Comment

PDLs are risky Nanna. How do you know it will only be for a week?

Whenever I've had building work done (some time ago now) I've paid for the materials up front so I think that would be the way to go, like fluffystuff says. x
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

i think a deposit to pay towards the materials (Or even if the person agrees to pay for the materials to get work started) wouldn't be a difficult or hard choice to ask from a person? than a PDL (as last, last, last resort)...........

I don't agree with any PDL (even if its, the last resort - as people become suckered into them, in how easy it is to get followed by debts), but i think i posted on here of a New PDL that has been launched or noticed on telly AD, that the first PDL you don't pay any interest, and the MAX LOAN the person can apply for is £200 on it (i think that is for 1 month not 100% sure or a week)

Comment

thank you , looks like we may have to forgo the work as i am not happy at all with the idea of PDL, and the customer will not pay any money up front will only pay when job is finished.Many thanks as always xxxxx

Comment

its one of those '50-50 scenarios for both parties' if they'll pay for the job when completed? depends if the person was recommended to your OH or vice versa?

Good luck either way Nanna

Comment

Can he not open an account at a builders merchants ? you then get 30 days to pay.....

Comment

[QUOTE=in 2 deep;294182]Can he not open an account at a builders merchants ? you then get 30 days to pay.....[/

Good idea though they're not so easy to get nowadays, even less so if you're not a regular customer and if your customer doesn't pay up then you are left with the bill!

Nanna, could your OH's customer go to the builders merchants with him to pay for the goods, least that way they'll see what they're paying for!
                If they refuse to do this, I would, as hard as it is, just walk away. If they are being difficult now then maybe it's not worth the risk. X

Comment

Or - get a PDL and just keep it

Whaaaaaaat
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

good thinking Nid thats a good point Fluff shame tho as we really need the work, and yes its been a while since we had a builders merchants account and the place we had it has now closed down . So it would be almost, if not impossible to get a new one, I COULD ALWAYS ( no never mind ) xxx

Comment

I know it's tough Nanna, the lure of a bit of extra money but its really not worth the risk of ending up worse off.

Something else will come along, you wait and see. XX

Comment

Not being funny, but i dont know any builder who doesnt take a deposit before he gets started at the very least for materials.

If the customer is refusing to pay anything upfront, he should be reminded its to pay for materials, and if he dont like it, he can buy them himself, even offer to give him receipts of the materials bought so he knows your genuine.

I would never start building a website for anyone who hadnt paid a deposit.

Im not going to spend hours on something only for someone to not pay for whatever reason. At least if a deposit is paid, you can argue about the work and balance due after.

Comment

It never was like this and people used to give a deposit i agree it should be that way, but you know i feel prgrammes akin to cowboy builders does a lot of good but also does alot of harm, a lot of folk take it literally, anyhow we may have found a way round it without lining anyones pocket fingers crossed cos we are pig sick of having nowt spare.

Comment

Keeping my fingers crossed for you nanna x
                            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
                            X