GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script My daughters car insurance - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My daughters car insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My daughters car insurance

My daughter has moved out she has managed to save a deposit and buy her own 2 bedroom flat and we are delighted (not least to get our bedroom back as she is nearly 27!).

Her flat is a ground floor one and is literally 2 streets away on a quiet estate with the same first bit of postcode to our house. She had a day off today and rang around to change addresses - when she phoned her car insurance they said they wouldn't insure her for that address! They offered the option of cancelling the policy (and losing this last 6 months accrued no claims) or "leaving her car at ours overnight" and walking around to hers!

Does this seem strange to you? If it was a completely different part of this sleepy old county town I may understand it, but 2 streets away! Granted our road is made up of 3 and 4 bed detached and hers are all either 2 bed flats or 1 bedroom houses but they are all privately owned and you have to get to the end of our road to get to hers.....

She has said she will leave it here for the time being but this just seems daft......

Jane x

Re: My daughters car insurance

High risk area I presume? Forget the postcode. It's the last part that counts. Take leeds as an example, LS25 postcode covers most of out-of-town suburbs leading from east leeds to North Yorkshire spanning (over 11 districts) including rough estates to quaint villages - point is I'd hazard a guess at that. Or her age and the fact you may have a drive whereas hers may be street parked?

That's what affects premiums
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Yes I expected her premium may go up a little although she does have a drive but it just seems odd that they are point blank refusing to insure it there....

Jane x

Comment

Originally posted by tastyjane View Post
        Yes I expected her premium may go up a little although she does have a drive but it just seems odd that they are point blank refusing to insure it there....

Jane x
        Insurance companies are very strange beasts, is the car high performance? Also on the point of no claims how many years does she have ,becuase if it's over 5 it wont make much if any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
          Insurance companies are very strange beasts, is the car high performance? Also on the point of no claims how many years does she have ,becuase if it's over 5 it wont make much if any difference.
          It is a battered old 206 only worth around £1K but her pride and joy She has 2 full years only although she passed her test at 17 but has worked abroad until 2 years ago so no claims allowance is really important to her bless... I wondered if she got them to write her a letter stating that she had paid 6 months whether another company would take that in to account? Her insurance is through the Post Office but with Aviva and the lady on the phone said the Post Office could take it to another underwriter but she would drop back down to the 2 years no claims....

As I say you can literally see her house from ours its just so odd.

Jane x

Comment

Originally posted by tastyjane View Post
            It is a battered old 206 only worth around £1K but her pride and joy She has 2 full years only although she passed her test at 17 but has worked abroad until 2 years ago so no claims allowance is really important to her bless... I wondered if she got them to write her a letter stating that she had paid 6 months whether another company would take that in to account? Her insurance is through the Post Office but with Aviva and the lady on the phone said the Post Office could take it to another underwriter but she would drop back down to the 2 years no claims....

As I say you can literally see her house from ours its just so odd.

Jane x
            It's not the strangest thing I've seen but I very much doubt they will transfer 6 months bonus insurance companies dont work like that. I would ask Aviva why they wont cover and then ask them how this meets their requirements under TCF ( treating customers fairly) and if they wont answer put in a formal complaint, it might get them to change their mind

Comment

Thanks for that, I will tell her tomorrow and we will do them a letter - its cold to walk all the way from here to hers Her stepdad is gutted he thought he had the drive back .....

Jane x

Comment

Working...
              X