GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Any excuse to complain - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any excuse to complain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any excuse to complain

This is light-hearted and not serious (I mean, it's not a joke, but it doesn't have big consequences), but I thought I'd complain about my bank as I was wound up yesterday morning, mainly to see if they offer me £50 or something.

I bank with the Co-operative. I've had a 'privilege' account for about a year - at a cost of £113 per year. What an idiot. I thought it would get me a no interest overdraft (which I wanted to use a year ago when I bought a new car - we're back to decent savings levels again now)

Anyway, I phoned to cancel yesterday, and said I wanted a normal account. They said they had to put me through to someone who would talk to me about "the best current account for me". I said fine, but then they couldn't put me through. They said they would ring me back. I said I would be out and they can't, but that they know my request.

The customer services person could not deal with it, apparently. However if I want to change TO a privilege account from a normal account, they can! go figure.

Anyway, I wrote this:

Customer Feedback
    The Co-operative Bank plc
    4th Floor
    Miller St
    Manchester
    M60 0AL

7th June 2012

Dear Sir/ Madam,
    Reference: Account number xxxxxxxx; sort code: xxxxxx

I am writing to complain about the service I have received. My complaint has three parts.

1) I do not believe that the privilege account status my current account has was suitable for my needs, and this was not made clear when I transferred to privilege account status.

2) The process of converting my account back is cumbersome, in contrast to the process of converting to privilege account status.

3) Related to the above, I was unable to do this today.

First, just over a year ago, my account was a ‘normal’ current account. I wanted to extend an overdraft facility. I telephoned and made clear that as a result, I would be looking to move to a privilege account because I surmised this would reduce charges and overall, taking into account the fee for a privilege account, this would be cheaper with reference to the overdraft alone.
    I was wrong. It was not cheaper, as I had mistakenly assumed there would be no fees for the overdraft under a privilege account, and as you will see from my account, I did not need the overdraft for very long. Nonetheless the overall charges and interest for the overdraft were not significantly lower (certainly not the in excess of £100 that I have been charged in privilege account fees over the last year. Your advisor did not point this out to me, but allowed the transfer. I believe I made it abundantly clear why I was choosing the privilege account route, and I believe that an advisor interested in the best account for my needs would have pointed this out. Nonetheless the advisor transferred the account.

Second, today, having over £x in my savings account I clearly have no need for such an overdraft facility nor a privilege account. I phoned your customer services department at about 9.15am to cancel the privilege account. I was surprised to find that I had to be transferred to someone to “discuss the best current account for your needs”. In this case, I do not wish to do this; I just want to go back to a normal current account.

Nonetheless, I accepted it. Maybe the co-operative bank were going to listen to my needs (which are far more simple than before) and ensure they do not provide me with a service that I do not require and will listen to what I actually need. In the first point above, you have clearly failed to do this, so maybe your procedures have changed. Nonetheless, as I made clear to the customer service advisor, I know that I just want to go back to the normal current account that I held for in excess of 15 years with you. It seems unnecessary that when I am purchasing (IE spending money with you) the customer services advisor can deal with it, but when I want to cancel that purchase, they can’t!

Third, today when I tried to cancel the person was unavailable. I was asked for a phone number to call me back. This is most unsatisfactory to me as I am going out today with my daughter (something that is being delayed while I write my complaint to you as it is fresh in my mind). I said to the customer services advisor that I was unhappy with this, and was very clear that I wanted a normal account. She said she could not override the process. I reflect on this that a bank with such a process appears to be making it difficult, via their systems, from cancelling the product.

I informed the customer services assistant that I would call back myself, but on reflection, I look at First Direct’s Customer Service ratings (higher than the Co-operative Bank) and the fact that I have now been frustrated with the customer service you offer on several occasions. I have noted today that Halifax offer £100 plus £5 a month if I transfer to their current account, while First Direct offer £125. In those circumstances, plus the content of this letter, is it any wonder that I am looking at transferring? That’s a rhetorical question.

In short, I would like (1) for my account to be transferred immediately to a ‘normal’ current account with no charge. (2) for you to explain why taking out (buying) a product is ‘easy’ with minimal advice, but cancelling is not easy and comes with additional ‘advice’ and (3) to reply to each of the other aspects of my complaint.

I also believe the first and third aspects of this complaint could form the basis of a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which I may do in addition to transferring my account. In the meantime I await your prompt response before taking any action.

Yours faithfully,

xxxxxx xxx
    I may not be anywhere near Niddy's level, but any excuse to complain. I bet I get a fobbed off "sorry, we've done it now" reply!
    Last edited by AnonymousA; 8 June 2012, 08:56.

Re: Any excuse to complain

Sounds ok to me, just a big part of me feels like it wont get you anywhere. Im sure they will change your account to a normal one, but i bet that will only be the subject matter to which you will get a reply about, maybe an apology but i bet its a short letter whatever happens! lol

Years ago banks worked for the consumer, these days its about getting people on the account / card which best serves them, whether its through comission or fees.

Santander, keep trying to offer me their 123 credit card and current account, trying to convince me that i could save loads in cash back by using it.

They first want me to make sure all my payments are made by direct debit. I then have to use the credit card to buy fuel and shopping with it.

My wife and i worked out, that after their charges come off, we would get an amazingly high £35 a year. yep thats right, 35 sodding pounds.

I explained to the guy at santander, that a) i buy fuel and food in cash, and b) i dont like direct debits.

So why would i go to the hassle of setting up direct debits for everything, get a credit card to pay for fuel and food, and then have the hassle of having to pay back the card every month, with the money i could have just used to buy with in the first place. All for the sake of £35.

You know what hes answer was? ah but we may offer cashback for other items in the future.

I said, yeah, well i "may" decide to switch in the future also, but right now, i dont think so!

Another woman being served was speaking to the cashier, the cashier said, well according to our records you could get £50 a year in cash back, she mentioned nothing about their fees each month. The woman said, "ooh well i guess i better do it then" i thought to myself, perhaps you need to take a simple maths class before you agree to anything.

I often wonder, that they create these new accounts, and hype them up so much to get you to switch, just so they can change the terms of the agreement and nothing else.
    Last edited by SXGuy; 8 June 2012, 10:11.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes; I agree I'll get fobbed off. And if I can be arsed I will change to first direct. I nearly did it a year ago but it is such a hassle!

Comment

If you don't receive a satisfactory response, go straight to the CEO, I'll happily supply his e-mail address for you. I don't believe in dealing with underlings. I will tolerate the Exec's Office as they have the power to make others pooh themselves, but ideally like the CEO involved directly.

Sadly, it's the only way you get results sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
          If you don't receive a satisfactory response, go straight to the CEO, I'll happily supply his e-mail address for you. I don't believe in dealing with underlings. I will tolerate the Exec's Office as they have the power to make others pooh themselves, but ideally like the CEO involved directly.

Sadly, it's the only way you get results sometimes.
          Thanks. I'll do that when I've got a complaint that annoys me more than the one above.

Comment

Hello AnonymousA -- just wondering if you got a response back from them yet?

Comment

I've had two (identical) letters outlining what they do in the case of a complaint and giving me a timeframe for a response with the standard FOS stuff on the back.

Comment

If the services they offered under the privilege account where not fully explained to you or they where of no use and they failed to do a proper assessment of whether you needed them you could put in a claim for a refund and to return your account to Pre-privilege.

This was in the news a while ago where many were sold this add-ons that were of little to no use.

Packaged accounts: is your current account worth paying for? - Yahoo! Finance UK
                Last edited by pompeyfaith; 23 June 2012, 21:21.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                  If the services they offered under the privilege account where not fully explained to you or they where of no use and they failed to do a proper assessment of whether you needed them you could put in a claim for a refund and to return your account to Pre-privilege.

This was in the news a while ago where many were sold this add-ons that were of little to no use.

Packaged accounts: is your current account worth paying for? - Yahoo! Finance UK
                  That's a useful reference. I might reply to whatever they offer suggesting that. Thanks!

Comment

Well it is all very much a case of: breakdown insurance - did you have car or breakdown cover in place if not was what they where offering comparable in price to what was available on the high street. Did you have a Mobility Car and thus this would have been useless.

Travel Insurance: did you use it and if so was the cost favourable to insurance available on high street. Do you have a disability and thus the cover would not have covered you.

See what I am getting at what the account gave may not have been good value and may have been in whole or part no use what so ever.

Comment

Apparently they phoned yesterday - I was at work. The Mrs just said I wasn't in.

Comment

Had a letter saying "we haven't been able to resolve your complaint".

I've transferred to Halifax (ironic if you have read "AnonymousA's thread") Reward Account for the extra £100. For the record, I was with the Co-operative for 18 years.

Comment

Didn't uphold my complaint about it being mis-sold.
                          Gave me £9.50 back for the last payment.
                          Paid me £25 for the extra telephone call I had to make.

£34.50 - not bad for a 15 minute letter!

Comment

Working...
                          X