GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Plan to force elderly into equity release to pay for care at home - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plan to force elderly into equity release to pay for care at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan to force elderly into equity release to pay for care at home

Plan to force elderly into equity release to pay for care at home

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on 7th November 2011 19:56.

Pensioners have been warned they may have to remortgage their homes to pay for personal care – even if they don’t go into a residential home. Under...

Click to Read More...

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.

Re: Plan to force elderly into equity release to pay for care at home

It seems to pay in the long run to either stay on Benefits, rent or both. Either that or sign your home over to one of the kids before you grow too senile to care what happens to it....

Just where is the incentive to get on in life..... ?
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I know some people whose folks have transferred the ownership of their house over to their children under a trust to avoid this sort of thing.

I have doubts about how well that would stand up legally, but more people might try if things go in that direction.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
        I know some people whose folks have transferred the ownership of their house over to their children under a trust to avoid this sort of thing.

I have doubts about how well that would stand up legally, but more people might try if things go in that direction.
        I would definitely consider it when the time draws near.... there's no way the Gov. would get their mitts on my home.

The system stinks.... and the stupid Gov. seem too thick to realise that they're driving people into not bothering to get on in life 'coz there's little point in the grand scheme of things.

Remember the mantra:
        NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
        Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
        Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

Our ex council house was rented by my mum but she did not want to leave as all here memories were there after living in it for 20 odd years so when I married her daughter we decided that we would buy it with her discount.

Now although we got a good deal as it only cost us £13,580 it did come at a cost to us as we said we would look after her until she passes away.

So all in all we where able to buy at a heavily reduced cost but also take on the caring role of our mum which is no bad thing really as she is a nice kind and gentle soul.

It has saved the government a whopping amount of cash through as no doubt if they put her in care the cost would be massive.

So this has worked out nicely all round.

Value of 4 bed house now is £196,500 and as mum is very poorly looks like we will be selling and downgrading in the not to distant future.

Regards
          Last edited by pompeyfaith; 7 November 2011, 20:31.

Comment

Just going back to what you said Riz. It does stand up legally. Big brother and his solicitors did it for his then in laws some 20years ago now. Trust was set up for the three children as father in law had to go into home with Alzheimers.

When his wife died, big brother inherited her one third share of the trust.

regards
            Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
              Just going back to what you said Riz. It does stand up legally. Big brother and his solicitors did it for his then in laws some 20years ago now. Trust was set up for the three children as father in law had to go into home with Alzheimers.

When his wife died, big brother inherited her one third share of the trust.

regards
              Garlok
              Handy to know.

It just seems such an obvious measure to take, that I figured there must be a catch or a way for the government to work around it.

Comment

My Sister and myself were lucky in that years ago when Mum bought her council house she put us on the deeds as 1/3 owners.

When Mum went into a home 2 years ago her 1/3 was taken into account as part of her assets.

The Government has had it's share but not as much as it would have if we had not set this up.

Now her savings are down to the minimum so she is 2/3 funded.
                It has only taken the state (and the owners of the home) 2 years to evaporate nearly 50k away from her.

I won't even mention the 4k each the Revenue has had from Sis and myself in CGT. At least as Mums share was from her primary residence she avoided that.

Regards all, Handy
                Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

When the 5yrs was up being the time mum had to live in the house we had her taken off the deeds as she wanted no part of the house only our guarantee that she could live here rent free.

And we all agreed it would be easier to sort that now than wait in case she lost her marbles so to say.

So in all tense and purpose she is a lodger all though a rent free one and we get pay back when we come to sell as that will be reward for caring for her for the past 20 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                    When the 5yrs was up being the time mum had to live in the house we had her taken off the deeds as she wanted no part of the house only our guarantee that she could live here rent free.

And we all agreed it would be easier to sort that now than wait in case she lost her marbles so to say.

So in all tense and purpose she is a lodger all though a rent free one and we get pay back when we come to sell as that will be reward for caring for her for the past 20 yrs.
                    Before she croaks, I suggest you sue her for rent arrears - you may be able to offset your "losses" against CGT.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      Before she croaks, I suggest you sue her for rent arrears - you may be able to offset your "losses" against CGT.
                      well CC you do make me smile when you post although I wonder what new viewers will think not knowing you as the rest of us do. But dont stop.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
                        well CC you do make me smile when you post although I wonder what new viewers will think not knowing you as the rest of us do. But dont stop.
                        You don't have to collect the arrears, nor do you have to evict mumsie - all you'd be trying to do would be create a "loss" which you could claim against tax. That's not cruel - it's just prudent.

When I die, my house will almost certainly have to be sold to pay the Inheritance Tax.

Comment

You don't have to collect the arrears, nor do you have to evict mumsie - all you'd be trying to do would be create a "loss" which you could claim against tax. That's not cruel - it's just prudent.

When I die, my house will almost certainly have to be sold to pay the Inheritance Tax.
                          Yes I knew what you meant, it was still funny though.

Comment

Its a total disgrace and every politician, our self proclaimed betters who falsely claim the moral high ground should hang their heads in shame at all of this.

WE suddenly, at a time of false financial crisis, can find £40Billion to give to the IMF who "promise" not to give it away to eurozone malcontents and wasters. Where the hell did that come from, I thought we had been told we had nothing??? Perhaps this latest government scam provides the answer, steal as much as you can from the weak, elderly and vulnerable that you can get away with, brand them all with clever marketing as wasters and scroungers. Perhaps Lord Ashcroft and numerous football clubs should be made to pay their taxes first---- Yes???

The conspiracy theorists so reviled by everyone would say its part of a sinister plot. If you look around they seem to be more right than anyone else from the facts on the ground.

Garlok the Dissenter
                            Last edited by garlok; 8 November 2011, 11:48.

Comment

Good as it sounds , I dont think it would work, as far as I know you can't offset income loses against capital gains.

Also you have to be careful on the trust thing as well, councils have been known to look though them and make a claim against the estate. It's all about timing and intent.

Comment

Working...
                              X