GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script AAD Uses Skimlinks! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AAD Uses Skimlinks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAD Uses Skimlinks!

AAD Uses Skimlinks!

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on 2nd August 2013 16:04.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb.png
Views:	2
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	1415138

Skimlinks is commonly used on many forums — it tracks links to some retailers and service providers, and if that click then generates revenue, this site is paid. We have therefore subscribed to Skimlinks, like a lot of other UK based forums.

Skimlinks is all about creating online revenue for publishers while we do our work that is creating quality content for our website.

A brief FAQ is found below;

SkimLinks:

Skimlinks helps online publishers (AAD) monetise their content in an ethical and user-friendly way by automating the process of creating and maintaining affiliate links.

How It Works:

A publisher simply adds the Skimlinks code to their site footer once, and when a user clicks on these retailer links, Skimlinks automatically converts them into affiliate links on-the-fly. Rather than spending time and money doing their own affiliate marketing, publishers can concentrate 100% on creating quality content whilst earning commission from over 7,000 merchants across 22 affiliate networks internationally.

Skimlinks is used on thousands of websites worldwide, including MSE, Future Publishing UK, and Mumsnet.com.

Best Part Is:

SkimLinks lets the normal link appear, and adds the affiliate link only when the user clicks on the link. This makes users trust your site more, and increases the likelihood they will click on the affiliate link.

Turn it Off:

If the links annoy you then it's easy to turn them off. Head to your control panel general settings (link) scroll to the bottom, untick the box and click save. It's really that easy!

Name:	skimlinks-info.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1415140

The links used are always shopping/product related to known trusted sites. We will not allow any links to debt related or unethical organisations.

Additional Info? Send an email - webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.

Re: AAD Uses Skimlinks!

Originally posted by AAD News Feed View Post

Turn it Off:

If the links annoy you then it's easy to turn them off. Head to your control panel general settings (link) scroll to the bottom, untick the box and click save. It's really that easy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9543[/ATTACH] Click to Read More...
    I've turned off my Skimlinks twice but they keep coming back

Comment

Hmmm that's strange planB mine have remained disabled

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-31 at 19.16.18.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1397864

EDIT: I've switched mine on and off ten times now and when disabled, it remains disabled.
      Last edited by IF; 31 August 2013, 19:50.
      "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
        I've turned off my Skimlinks twice but they keep coming back
        I'm sure you've done this already......but don't forget to untick the box

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
          I'm sure you've done this already......but don't forget to untick the box
          It's done it again

I unticked the box and clicked on "save changes" earlier today. When I logged back in tonight the tick was there again

It's no big deal and it's clearly me being silly somewhere along the line

I don't object to Skimlinks in principle. But the system highlights words in my text which looks like I'm emphasising a word when I'm not. That's all.

Many thanks for your help as ever

Comment

It's done it again

I unticked the box and clicked on "save changes" earlier today. When I logged back in tonight the tick was there again

I am sorry......I wonder why it's doing that, it's a puzzle

Comment

For the record, disabling them only stops YOU seeing them. Doesn't stop other people seeing them in your posts if THEY have them enabled.

(At least that is as I understand it)

So if you are bothered about what other people see/think looking at your posts, they will see them if they have them enabled in your posts regardless of your setting.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
                I am sorry......I wonder why it's doing that, it's a puzzle
                They're back again

But I have a clue this time. I access AAD using two different browsers. I've successfully disabled Skimlinks on my IE10 but every time I do it on my Google Chrome they keep coming back when I login again

Having read Riz's post I can't see the point in my stressing about this anymore since it was to get rid of highlighting words in my text (which could change the emphasis of what I say) since I now know this isn't cured by disabling Skimlinks because everyone else can still see them.

Sorry to have bothered you over something so trivial

Comment

They're back again tonight when I accessed the site on my IE10 browser

Question: Does this really matter in the grand scheme of things

Answer: Nope

But I do love to give site team something to ponder

Comment

They're back again tonight when I accessed the site on my IE10 browser
                    And they're back again two hours later despite my ticking the right disable box

The only thing that could be doing this is my constant purging of cookies and browsing history (maybe)

Comment

That's exactly what it is

vB is cookie based primarily meaning certain features store a cookie so your personal layout can be achieved. However when you clear cookies then you clear your saved layout.

Its usually only layout & colour changes that affect cookies though so I'll speak to skimlinks soon and check out why they're acting as a cookie; when it's not. It's a system feature like DST or your Avatar so I'll need to enquire.

Well spotted
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        That's exactly what it is
                        Well spotted

Good to see that my well documented stupidity with computers can sometimes be of use

Comment

Working...
                        X