GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script The Jackson reforms to Civil Litigation funding. NO MORE NO WIN NO FEE!! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Jackson reforms to Civil Litigation funding. NO MORE NO WIN NO FEE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jackson reforms to Civil Litigation funding. NO MORE NO WIN NO FEE!!

There is currently a Bill before Parliament which if approved and given Royal Assent will spell the death of Conditional Fee Agreements. Why you may ask?

Well, the no win no fee agreement means if you win you pay the solicitors basic charges and crucially the success fee. What is a success fee? well under no win no fee, you dont pay your solicitor unless and until the case is won. If you lose then the solicitor does not get paid, he risks working sometimes over a year for the risk of no money. How many people would go to work if their boss said "well Fred, we want you to come here every day work your ass off and you may get paid if you do a good job but if you dont you wont get sod all"???????

Well thats what your lawyer faces when he accpets your case on no win no fee. So the sweetener for him is the success fee.

The success fee is anywhere between 65% to 100% of the basic fee.

Example

If your bill is £10k then with success fee it is £20k if the success fee is 100%

No win no fee allows many people access to justice who are ineligible for Legal Aid etc so it serves a purpose and furthermore currently the costs are recovered from the opponent if the case is won.

Enter the Jackson Reforms under the guise of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Bill.

Justice Jackson has decided that the success fee should no longer be recovered from the opponent!!!! and this is included within the bill.

What does this mean for you? well ill be blunt. If you instruct the firm i work for or any other firm on no win no fee, if you win, we will recover the basic fees from the opponent, then we will present you with a bill for the successfee!!!! why ? because Justice Jackson thinks you should pay, thats why.

I have lobbyed my MP Chris Huhne and pointedo ut that this will hit those worst off. i raised the issue of the many many people whom we have represented who did not have a pot to piss in and who were facing losing their homes, and said if no win no fee was as per the Jackson reforms, then these people would not be able to secure legal assistance as they would not be able to afford to pay the success fee.

However, i have just had a letter back from Jonathan Djanolgy MP the under sec of State for Justice.

Ill scan it and post it when i can.

It is clear that this MP has either no sense!! or has missed the point.

The Jackson reforms are clearly aimed at Claimants who either have money and thus can afford to pay their own legal fees or claimants who recover huge damages, again they can afford to pay their legal fees. However, they dont take into account those sued by credit card and banking providers who if they win do not receive an award of damages. In fact most people i represent who win , the only benefit they get is relief that their home is safe, they get no financial gain as such.So while the reforms are right in the Claimant side of the fence they hit the Defendant side of things with equal measure and in my mind that is wrong. Everyone should have the right to justice but sadly with the harsh restrictions on Legal Aid and now this, many more people will be facing real difficult times.

I think we all need to lobby our MPs and push for the Jackson reforms to have exemptions where the person who is being sued by Banks etc and where no damages are recovered, then the Claimant remains liable for the Defendants legal fees.

Re: The Jackson reforms to Civil Litigation funding. NO MORE NO WIN NO FEE!!

Government confirms Jackson civil litigation reforms and legal aid cuts- Legalweek

Lord Justice Jackson's proposed reforms of litigation costs ignited a fierce debate | Neil Rose | Law | guardian.co.uk

Jackson: civil justice reforms are balanced | The Law Gazette

Some links on the subject too

Comment

Want us all to write in to Chris H voicing our concerns matey?
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Chris is my local MP, so he is who i lobbied but id suggest that we all lobby our own MPs

If we get enough support then they will have to listen.

Comment

Which mp is pushing for reform, it's them we lobby.

I can't lobby my local mp - he's too busy on Xmas punch no doubt - easier going to central government - even the justice secretary would be a good start...? No?
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

id just like to add that these reforms do make sense to me, in the Claimant arena as if you have lots of money and recover lots of damages then why shouldnt you pay your legal fees. that part i do agree with.

But its the knock on effect that the government hasnt thought of, the people who are Defendants and are needing CFA because no legal aid is available, who will be hit hardest by these reforms

Comment

what bout a e-petition

Comment

Originally posted by Paul. View Post
                what bout a e-petition
                Yea ok but we need 100,000

Comment

Hi Guys,

I had heard of this potential change recently and wondered how it would affect ordinary folk. If I were to put on my conspiratorial hat I would forward the hypothesis that this was yet another attempt by the Authorities in the UK to deny proper justice on a wide front to all UK citizens who were not part of an inner elite. But more realistically, if you agree, Paul, I maintain a correspondence link with Chris Ruane our MP in your neighbouring constituency and would be happy to pass the text of your post above to him requesting that he joins up with our thinking.

He was the guy who after 8 years of battling with the NHS and their liars, obtained an apology from the Secretary of State for Health for me and two long letters of apology from senior civil servants in the Department of Health. Whatever his politics he is a pretty good constituency MP. Also over other matters we speak with Ann Jones our AM and I can try to get her on board as well.

regards
                  Garlok
                  Last edited by garlok; 27 December 2011, 15:57.

Comment

I know that my old mate Richard Miller is opposed to this nonsense.

That should be persuasive enough by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      I know that my old mate Richard Miller is opposed to this nonsense.
                      who?

Comment

Will this be across the UK or just in England ?

Comment

http://www.writetothem.com/

Takes just a few moments on the above link

Comment

Will this impact at all on the bar pro bono unit?

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                              Will this impact at all on the bar pro bono unit?
                              not really, but there are not many lawyers who do this type of work in Pro Bono

Plus you need referrals to the PB dept, and most CAB offices have no clue on Consumer Credit Law.

It is this area which will suffer, not so much the financial misselling areas but the unenforceable and improper execution / statutory non compliance areas which will suffer.

More importantly the defendants themselves will face legal bills even if they win their cases, which in my view undermines the indemnity principle

Comment

Working...
                              X