GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script when a new dca buys a debt does it keep being updated on your credit file - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when a new dca buys a debt does it keep being updated on your credit file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when a new dca buys a debt does it keep being updated on your credit file

Each time a dca buys a debt is it updated on your file ? if so how does this affect the statute barred clock, a lot of ours have been passed from pillar to post and I just wondered if this is going to affect the credit file .

Re: when a new dca buys a debt does it keep being updated on your credit file

The debt entry can be updated to show the new owner, but the details must be the same as the original.

From the ICO:

The ‘sale’ or assignment of debts on defaulted accounts

52 When the rights to a debt are sold to a third party, the lender has to make sure the records with the credit reference agency are accurate, up to date and adequate. If they want information about the debts to continue on the credit reference file they will need to come to an agreement with the purchaser about who is to be responsible for this.

53 If the purchaser agrees to take control of the record, the customer should be informed that the debt has been sold or assigned and to whom. The credit reference agency file should be changed to show the name of the purchaser and that the rights to the debt have been sold or assigned. The purchaser should then make sure the record is kept up to date including changes to the amount still owed. The purchase should not affect how long the record is kept. It should be removed six years after the default.

54 Where the purchaser of the debt does not agree to take control of the record, the original lender, and at least in part the credit reference agency, will remain responsible if the original record is kept on the file. When the debt is sold or assigned, the customer will no longer owe any money to the original lender. If the record is not removed, the sale or assignment should be recorded and the balance should be shown as zero. The customer should still be told who the debt has been sold or assigned to.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
    X