GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Seeking knowledge of Claims on behalf of Estate - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking knowledge of Claims on behalf of Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking knowledge of Claims on behalf of Estate

Tentative Noob Asks:
    Hi,

I'm in a pickle -
    I'm a third executor (beneficiary), with my two sisters, on my Father's estate.
    'A state' would be the best way to describe it.
    Basically, one of my Sister's (and Partner) are now living in the apartment my Father rented, and refuse access to any documentation.

Only under pressure (two months after Dad's passing) did my sister mention that Dad had lodged two complaints, both on credit cards -
    1. Barclaycard (awarded £1330)
    2. Egg - Canada Square Operations, CSO (awarded £590)

I have contacted them, with trust deed, and asked for cheques to be sent to the solicitor holding the will.

My little blister recently sent bank statements show a £4000 cheque deposit, which I'm told is a PPI claim, awarded last October.

I've spoken to the Fincancial Services Ombudsman- they have a record of the Barclaycard award, but not of the EGG, or the award in October.

My father was an avid collector of credit cards, and loans.
    As my sister is, well a little bit naughty. I would not be surprised to learn of more.
    [as example - she wrote to CSO to get the refund cheque;
    a. re-sent to a my Aunt's address (she claimed to be my Dad's '3rd Party representative')
    b. then, once my Aunt had left the apartment after Dad's wake, to be redrawn in her name]

Access denied to records;
    Is there any central department which holds a record of complaints?
    Or am I best writing to each of the Banks' PPI complaints departments?
    I have looked on the forum and seen the contact numbers (which is very helpful - )

Re: Seeking knowledge of Claims on behalf of Estate

Hi nightingale and welcome to AAD

Sorry to read of your loss, it's hard enough to deal with without having to worry about siblings scrapping over the inheritance.

With regard to the PPI claims, I would think the FOS would only have records of claims made through them. It could be that other claims were dealt with directly with the banks, so in that case you'd need to contact the individual banks directly as far as I'm aware. See what others say though.

Regarding the general situation, has anyone applied for probate yet? Your sister as a named executor has a duty to treat other beneficiaries fairly and to provide the information required together with an accounting of the estate.
    Have a read here about dealing with difficult executors:
    Tackling troublesome executors

Hope you get it sorted out...have you discussed your sister's behaviour with the solicitor holding the will?

Elsa x

Comment

Re: Seeking knowledge of Claims on behalf of Estate

thanks Elsa,

I had thought Dad's passing would be a grief we could all help each other with.

I'll check out the Forum's resource on Troublesome Executors.
      I started off trying to get Dad's estate honestly sorted; now it's made me feel rather grubby.

The Solicitor holding the will is on the ball. I have asked whether a solo application for probate would help.
      He's said that he won't release the will without the the agreement of the three of us.
      He's said that he would also say the same to my sister - and thus protecting me. I believe he's right, and also believe he is acting correctly with regard to his legal duty of care.

I'm not sure where to start looking to the address's of the customer relations for each bank - or if there is a separate list for credit cards.
      I've had a search on the forum, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, so I might have missed it.

thanks again
      Stu

Comment

Working...
      X