GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Arrow Global (Shoosmiths) v Atieno (Scotland) - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrow Global (Shoosmiths) v Atieno (Scotland)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Global (Shoosmiths) v Atieno (Scotland)

Hey guys and girls,

Sorry if im posting in the wrong place, abit confused as to where to put this, but im a bit lost on this issue at the mo.

Firstly I should start with, I live in Scotland. I have a student overdraft standing at £1,800 from 2010. (date of default on account is feb 2010)

This was later referred to Arrow Global, and I think I may have paid them £5 a month for a little while, over 2 years ago after my partner passed away and I was too broken to argue with them.

Anyway I know I haven't paid them anything for 2 years. Howeverr I also understand that for limitation to apply it needs to be 5 years in Scotland with no payment.

They contacted me recently seeking payment and I asked for them to supply me with the original terms and conditions of the overdraft and at least a copy of the original contract, so I can see where I stood with things. Additionally I have asked them to supply me with any updated terms and conditions over time and any all payments made to the account over the period of it being owed, so that I can verify that the amount being asked for is accurate.

The woman said they simply don't have that information and has supplied me with nothing.

However I'm unsure as to where that leaves me under law. I'm not convinced I have the right to insist on these documents as they are for a student overdraft and thus not covered by some of the enforceability regulations, so does that mean I just have to pay them the full amount.

I hasten to say I don't mind paying what I owe, what I begrudge is the fact that the debt was literally just over £1,000 initially but Santander charged me £25 repeatedly for going over my over draft, despite the fact that it was the £25 itself which oft times put me over. Not only that they then charged me a further £25 for none payment of the fee, which means Santander just kept adding £50 on my debt and I couldn't keep up.

I simply don't know what options are open to me. I have paid off all my other debts, but I honestly begrudge this one on many levels, as it was accrued using crap unfair charges, on a student with no money, when my partner was first diagnosed with cancer and then cornered me for payments a week after burying my partner. Despite asking Santander for understanding on repeated occasions, just to freeze the account.

Do I just have to pay arrow and be done with it?

Re: Santander/Arrow Global - Default notice

Originally posted by Atieno View Post
    Do I just have to pay arrow and be done with it?
    I do hope not !

Hello and to AAD where we do things a bit differently.

I'm sorry you lost your partner and that Santander treated you so badly at such a devastating time for you.

Is the account still with Arrow or have they outsourced it to one of their 'business partners' which can be a debt collection agency or even solicitors such as Restons or Shoosmiths?

Plan B xx

Comment

Re: Santander/Arrow Global - Default notice

Thay have treated you appallingly at a terrible time for you. Did you notify them of your partner's death?

Even if Arrow Global (or whoever's chasing you) don't have that information, they should get it from Santander.

I would send the first letter here to whoever is chasing you.
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Re: Overdrafts - CCA Information

Shoosmiths now have the account. I used to bank with Abbey, but then they were bought over by Santander. Santander then sold the debt to Arrow and arrow then passed it to shoosmiths.

I had informed Santander what was happening at the time and although the people in the branch were very nice and sympathetic, the people higher up really didn't care. It all came to a head in 2010, when I told them that I had too many things on my plate and that ultimately they could just chase me til hell froze over. (this was after a very stressful night about 2 chemo treatments in, when my partner had had a very bad reaction, and them repeatedly phoning me the following morning when I was busy trying to work out med doses).

I knew enough just not to pay them, but after my partner passed away I moved house nearly immediately and with the updated address it must have triggered something on their system, as they phoned me that week and started pestering me. Normally I would have told them to go take a flying jump, but I was so stressed that I just agreed to pay them a token amount each month for them to leave me alone. Additionally they stressed that as they were based in Edinburgh they knew the Scottish system well enough to progress the case.

In hindsight I realise that was a mistake.

Since then Ive kinda got my life back on track and now I've got a proper job, I've paid off all the debtors that were decent with me over that time, but theirs something about how I was treated by this Santander/arrow/shoosmiths that has just always made me stubbornly not want to give them anything more than the £1000 I owed Santander to begin with; but I'm not sure my moral objection to them counts for much.

Thank you for your responces though. I'll look into that first letter.

Back in the day (pre-cancer) I used to be a lawyer, so I fell back on my contract law understanding by insisting they send me official documentation, and I was hoping their lack of ability to do so, may in some way undermine their case against me, but im just not sure if overdrafts fall within the record keeping rules that I would need to rely on for that, and debt law was never my best subject, even back in the day. i'll look at the letter suggested by pixie and submit that to them.

Thanks again.

Comment

Back in the day (pre-cancer) I used to be a lawyer, so I fell back on my contract law understanding . . . . . and debt law was never my best subject
          That's interesting

Did you study Scottish law because that may be useful to know even if you think you're a bit rusty these days? We don't only handle debt issues so your legal knowledge would be welcome.

Drop me a PM or email me using planb@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Shoosmiths now have the account . . . . i'll look at the letter suggested
            Since your account is now with solicitors you may need to treat things slightly differently or maybe not. Better safe than sorry.

What did that last letter from Shoosmiths actually say in case it may have been a formal Letter Before Action in disguise?

Was there any threat of legal proceedings if you don't comply with their demand for money by a particular deadline? We have a different template letter in response to LBAs.

Plan B x

Comment

Shoosmiths in Edinburgh have been throwing citations about like confetti so you need to be careful here.

and within the Scottish system, formal LBAs don't seem to happen............................it doesn't seem to be a requirement (you'll be able to tell me the truth of that perhaps)

welcome to AAD, I'm Scottish too

Comment

Hi Atieno,

I believe you may have an update on this claim

The Pursuer has been given six weeks to come up with the relevant documents. Have I got that right?

Plan B x

Comment

Re: Arrow Global (Shoosmiths) v Atieno (Scotland)

Hi Atieno,
                  I've moved your posts into your own thread for this case. It's now in the Legal Debt Matters section, which is still a public area.

We do have a secure subscription based area, where only verified members have access. If you'd prefer your thread to be moved to the private legal area there, away from prying eyes, you can join AAD+ if you wish.
                  More details here: http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/aad-members.php

Elsa x

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                    The Pursuer has been given six weeks to come up with the relevant documents.
                    Arrow didn't come up with the documents required by the deadline.

There's a court date in two weeks.

We are discussing this Scottish claim behind the scenes at the moment

Plan B x

Comment

Working...
                    X