GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Letter from Capquest re: old Capital One debt - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letter from Capquest re: old Capital One debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from Capquest re: old Capital One debt

Hello all,

Newbie here

After having had no contact with Capquest for a few years, I have received a letter from them regarding an outstanding Capital One credit card debt. Although I am aware of the debt (it is a defaulted account from 2008) the letter read almost like a “first contact” letter. I’m afraid I binned it after reading it, but basically it was just asking me to contact them to arrange repayment of the debt, with lots of useful info about their online portal etc. to enable easier payment. There was a total I owed and a reference number. There was no mention of any previous dealings or payments made by me (which there have been).

Reason contact with Capquest was lost: I was making a monthly payment to them around 2010 to 2012. I then stopped making payments as my old bank account was phased out by my bank and I opened a new account without transferring the direct debit. A few months later I moved home and although I had all my post forwarded for a further 6 months (to Jan 2013) I never heard from Capquest again until this week.

Originally, in 2008, I didn’t ask Capital One or subsequently Capquest for any documentary proof regarding the debt - I just wanted them off my back so pretty much did as they asked. I had lost my job in the recession and was fairly stressed out with several creditors and no income. A common story I suppose... In hindsight, I should have done a lot more – but I didn’t. Now though, I’m in a position and frame of mind to make sure they do everything by the book before going any further with this – if it’s not too late to do so.

I am wondering whether anyone has any advice as to what the likely outcome of this latest contact from Capquest will be, or whether there is anything I can do prior to receiving any further correspondence from them? I'm assuming they will have records of any payments I have made previously, so not expecting that this debt will be Statute Barred.
    Thanks in advance…

Re: Letter from Capquest re: old Capital One debt

they may contact you again, if so post on here and we can see what you want to do then xx
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

agree, at the moment they are probably not even that sure you are you. stay away from the CRAs and don't talk to anyone on the phone and you should be good!

Comment

Nightwatch/MrsD,

Thanks for your replies.

I'll sit tight and see what turns up...

Comment

Agree with MrsD and NW. Don't do anything to try and find out more about this debt like checking your credit file etc and definitely don't speak to them on the phone. Let us know if they send you anything else.

Even though it isn't SB because of the payments you made 2010/12, it's only a couple of years away so we don't want you doing anything to jeopardise that.
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

As the others have said sit tight and post up anything else that comes your way xx
            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Another letter arrived - the same as the last one (different date obviously).

They come across all "we're here to help you, give us a call!"... It's nice to have friends isn't it.

Filed and ignoring. Will post again only if they send anything different.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X