GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Best way forward to use windfall money to clear DMP debts - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way forward to use windfall money to clear DMP debts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way forward to use windfall money to clear DMP debts

Hi all

We have been in a DMP since March last year. We started with £94k debt and that is currently down to about £84k. About £11k is potentially UE (I have a thread on another part of the forum about this).

So.....potential debt balance is £73k.

By September this year we will have about £35k coming to us. Windfalls like this don't happen to us (if they did perhaps we wouldn't be in so much debt) - but for some reason luck is shining on us for 2016. My hubby had an old pension he just took out under the pension reform rules (£20k) and I have a small pension and small inheritance which will come to about £15k and both should be through by end September. We both have really good pensions in our current jobs so releasing the small pension pots from long ago previous employment was a no brainer (we did seek advice though).

In my dreams I would love to clear that £73k with this money and be debt free this year (we will still have a mortgage so perhaps I should have said 'unsecured debt' free).

We are currently paying just under £800 per month to our DMP. I was originally looking at 2024 before we would be debt free so if we could be debt free this year that would be like winning the lottery for us. Amazing!

Given that we are making regular payments to creditors, what is the likelihood of creditors accepting full and final offers? They are getting money now, so why should/would they accept a reduced offer. 7 of our 11 debts are with debt collection agencies (although some of those are 'in-house' I think, e.g. Blair, Oliver, Scott for Halifax). 4 of the debts are with the original creditors. Interest stopped on all but 2 of the debts. Those 2 are with original creditor (both barclarycard) and although interest charged, it is reduced to 3%. We are currently paying BC £1 per month in an effort to get defaulted and have interested stopped completely but this strategy has only been just been started.

I did wonder about cutting payments on the DMP to token payments for several months and saving the DMP money towards settlement offers but don't want to rock the boat with phone calls, legal threats etc etc. If I did this what reason would I give - because our income and expenditure statement identifies we can afford more than token payments? Logic tells me if I pay token payments for 6 months I could save the £800 per month towards settlement offers as well. 6 months @ £800 = £4,800. Add that to the £35k we know we will have and we will have just shy of £40k to make offers with. That would mean offers of approximately 54% on our debts (although it would nice to be able to offer less and have it accepted if that was possible).

As we have the first £20k of this windfall in hand (aka in the savings account) I was about to write off with full and final settlement offers starting at 30% of the balance on our larger debts, but wondered if now we know we will be getting more money shortly we would be better waiting and offering all creditors equally, reducing to token payments - or anything else I haven't thought of!

Advice on the best way in which to get the most benefit from these wonderful windfalls would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by January2015; 9 March 2016, 05:42.

Re: Best way forward to use windfall money to clear DMP debts

Hi, great news about the money. I would hold fire for a while to get lots of input! I believe it is easier to get big discounts from DCAs, so leaving your DMP and fighting on your own may help. Which DMP are you using as some charge for their services. If you stop payments you will get lots of letters and threats, but it is highly unlikely that it would get as far as court. You do not have to fill out an income and expenditure form for a creditor, only courts can legally require these!

There is a section on making f&f offers. http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...mplate-Letters post 6.

Good luck and please keep the us updated with your progress as this may help others.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I've just explained similar here -> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...l=1#post556432
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
        Which DMP are you using as some charge for their services. If you stop payments you will get lots of letters and threats, but it is highly unlikely that it would get as far as court.
        Hi

We were with Stepchange until January, but went Self-Managed from beginning of February.

Many thanks for the links - will have a look now.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        I've just explained similar here -> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...l=1#post556432
        Many thanks - off to read that thread now

Comment

Working...
        X