GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Neighbour Smokes Weed Outside - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neighbour Smokes Weed Outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour Smokes Weed Outside

Hey guys,

I feel really bad about having a problem with this and I don't know why? Everyone has a right to do what they want, however, as a non smoking family we've moved into our new house not knowing that our next door neighbour smokes weed multiple times a day, outside. Now normally you'd think this wouldn't be a problem, but our windows are open and that's all you can smell.

I hate the smell of it so does my partner, and it's not exactly nice for our friends and family when they visit either.

We've signed a 12 month tenancy and absolutely adore the house, but this is beginning to really irritate us. It even smells when we have the windows shut, and furthermore why should we have to have the Windows closed in our own home?

I don't judge people that smoke it because it's not my place, but where do I stand?! Can I speak to the landlord/estate agents about it because we weren't made aware this happens (obviously)? I don't want to ring the police because it's not exactly a big thing for them to waste their time on, and I don't particularly want this to cause a problem between us and our neighbour?

Please any advice would be great

TM

TibetanMonk
    On Debt Row

AAD has so much to offer and wants so little back. Take advantage while you can.

Re: Neighbour Smokes Weed Outside

I'm sorry TM but I don't know what you can do but I feel for you...I hate the smell of it too.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Would it be worth speaking to the council ?
      if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

pillock over the road from us sells it
        don't mind anyone using it but the idiots he sells to are a pain in the arse

Comment

NW you make I larf xx
          if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

If they can smoke all day, they may be growing it. Are they smoking in front of the house or to the rear? Useful to know when you 'dob a dork'.

I don't like the smell of coffee, and now it is brewing in every bookshop and supermarket. So many no-go areas now.

Comment

Tough one. I wouldn't have a problem with my neighbour doing it but I can see its not fair to have the smell coming in your house. I think your neighbour is being a bit out of order smoking it so casually that it's actually blowing in to your house. What you can do about it short of having a nice quiet word or grassing him up I don't know!

Comment

Your neighbour probably doesn't realise the smoke is even going that far!!

My mrs can smell me having a cig (embassy no1) outside the back door when she's in bed - on top floor (3 storeys up)!

Nuts what non smokers can smell that a smoker can't.

So if it was me, I'd just say do you mind going down the garden a bit as smoke rises and it's coming in my house. They'll probably just say sorry - stoners aren't likely to be abusive.
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

lol I think nids has a valid point, I think he will be more chuffed you had a quiet word if you come across as not bothered he does it, but wouldn't mind if he moved.

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
                    NW you make I larf xx

Wassay?????????????????/

Comment

I don't know if you still come to this forum. Notwithstanding not wanting to get the police involved, the landlord will just direct you to the council as this is an environmental issue. However, it could also be grounds to review your rent with the landlord as this is a contract is just not acceptable, and I do not blame you in the slightest. You signed your 12 month tenancy on certain terms which includes a property free from nuisance neighbours, no pungent smells permeating into the property from illegal substances. You may have grounds to end your contract or ask your landlord to put you in another property more suitable, in addition to you possibly claiming damages for potential contract or covenant breach..

Comment

Originally posted by Helper2015 View Post
                        You may have grounds to end your contract or ask your landlord to put you in another property more suitable, in addition to you possibly claiming damages for potential contract or covenant breach..
                        Are you quite sure?

I don't see how I (hypothetically speaking) can argue my rent with my landlord (LL-1) when my neighbour smokes weed & has hippy parties if his landlord (LL-2) is nothing to do with me or my landlord. It's a bit like me being your neighbour and you revving your engine at 5am - it's really nothing to do with my landlord is it? How can they be responsible for another's actions?

Can you elaborate please?

PlanB - can you shed some light please
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

it could also be grounds to review your rent with the landlord as this is a contract is just not acceptable, and I do not blame you in the slightest. You signed your 12 month tenancy on certain terms which includes a property free from nuisance neighbours, no pungent smells permeating into the property from illegal substances. You may have grounds to end your contract or ask your landlord to put you in another property more suitable, in addition to you possibly claiming damages for potential contract or covenant breach..
                          I agree with Niddy. How can TM's Landlord possibly be responsible for the behaviour of a third party?

None of us have seen the AST (contract) but as a Landlord myself I have never seen a contract with a clause promising no nuisance from neighbours because it would be impossible to enforce it.

Please don't raise our member's expectations of a rent reduction and/or a claim for damages against his Landlord because there would be no legal grounds for this. Just as there would be no legal obligation for the Landlord to move the OP to another property.

Plan B x

Comment

The law would simply regard it as a terrible state of affairs if all Landlords leased their properties without telling the tenants any pertinent information. I would seek to end any covenants, or putting it another way, would it be fair for the landlord to have to live in conditions with a pungent substance aroma? The duty is therefore on the landlord to do something about it. It should not be left for the tenant to deal with this. He is merely in possession of the property whereas the landlord is responsible for ensuring the property description matches the tenancy agreement.

Comment

The law would simply regard it as a terrible state of affairs if all Landlords leased their properties without telling the tenants any pertinent information. I would seek to end any covenants, or putting it another way, would it be fair for the landlord to have to live in conditions with a pungent substance aroma? The duty is therefore on the landlord to do something about it. It should not be left for the tenant to deal with this. He is merely in possession of the property whereas the landlord is responsible for ensuring the property description matches the tenancy agreement.
                              Now you're just being silly

Plan B x

Comment

Working...
                              X